Some info on the recent Reference Recordings LPs

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
So I just got off the phone with Marcia Martin, having apparently received the first defective Quality Pressings copy - Exotic Dances From The Opera. I wasn't going to buy this LP, but then the recent 20% sale pushed me over. On first listen, the improvement over the HDCD was instantly evident - much crisper and oh so you-are-there, deeper more powerful bass as well. She said this was pressed from the original analog master tape, from the days they were recording both analog and digital together (the CD was done from the digital master). However, it is also true that for pressing, all recordings go through the digital process (without being specific). I suspect the Symphonic Dances were also from the original analog tape - MikeL had alluded to that as well back then. Anyway, just a little tidbit that it sounds like Keith Johnson will use the analog masters where they exist.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I had no idea that they recorded in both analog and digital, very interesting news.

I too recently purchased the same LP (but haven't listened to it yet). How was yours defective?

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Smart people do record in both formats, especially those who believe early digital was just not even close. My copy has occasional high distortion on the left channel, and it may not necessarily be the pressing itself. They will investigate and get back to me, I hope. It was also claimed that the HRx hi-rez copies are also from the analog masters.

@Marcia: thanks for the discussion, and I forgot to mention: your husband is a genius, and how about that phono stage :D

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I had no idea that they recorded in both analog and digital, very interesting news.

Exotic Dances was one of the first albums released by the Tape Project. They only do copies from analogue masters, nothing digital. However, Keith never released it in vinyl until now. Paul Stubblebine, who is the TP principal responsible for the tape production also works closely with RR. He did all the half speed mastering of the new vinyl. When I did my shoot out to choose the ADAC for my ripping project 2+ years ago, Paul ran the session. Interestingly, he cut a lacquer of the RR Symphonic Dances album - first side, for us to use in making the rips to test the different ADACs (along with some of my favorite vinyl.)

Larry

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing