Someone please school me on the differences - Need vrs Want & SQ Diff of both(Watts)

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
Hello,

I've recently aquired a new toy that I am using as a Guiena Pig to determine how many "Pass Labs" Watts I really need to support my listening habits and speaker of choice.

The "toy" I am speaking of is a Pass Labs XA30.5 Stereo Amp. The speakers are Magico S3's.

It's kind of funny, when I think of this XA30.5's advertised output, I can't help but grin as I stare at the numbers on paper compared to my "regular" Amps of choice which are significantly more powerful. But, with that said, do I really need as much power as I'm feeding these speakers and how is that extra headroom contributing to the sound I have grown to very much enjoy.

Here is where it gets interesting. Thus far, with the XA30.5 driving my speakers in my 24x15 room, I have only just barley got the little needle to move past 12 o'clock at what I would call the 90% mark of my normal listening level. Impressive to say the least!

So with the above in mind I ask this question to those Pass veterans on the forum:

1. Is there any reason to believe that going full overkill mode on the sizing aspect of the amp would get me anything at all above and beyond what I'm hearing now? In other words, if I'm only slightly ruffling the feathers of a XA30.5's power output and believe that a XA60.8 would fit the bill for my usage without a problem what is the likelyhood of a XA100.8 being even better still? It appears there are differences from an electrical capability standpoint and a slight edge in Damping Factor to the 100.8 on up but will it matter in this case?

It's a very interesting contrast when comparing the "Baby" Pass to my regular amps (Mola Mola Kaluga) on these speakers. I know Class D is not a very popular topology around here and usually gets kicked to the curb by most due to old biases some can't get past but when I hear these two very different beasts side by side I'm hard pressed to pick one being massively better then the other. At least not that would justify the typical responses seen by the usual suspects and fans of Class A only around here.

Anyway, I offer this brief comparison as a Segway into my next question about the sound of the more powerful Pass Labs offerings compared to the "Baby" Pass I am playing with.

When comparing the Mola's sound to the "Baby" Pass its like the equivalent of a Yamaha R1 compared to a Harley in terms of speed, acceleration, bass that's there one second and gone before the next second, with a smack you in the face type of impact to the notes capable of doing such things all the while not being over baring, harsh or in your face. But, is most of this due to the massive power differences between the two or just becuase of the topology differences? Would a much larger Pass than a XA60.8 do this more then the XA60.8 would given my previous comments on barley moving the needle of a XA30.5 I am using today?

I guess what I'm wondering is, would a larger Pass in my room with my speakers under the same listening conditions be putting me closer to that Mola Mola sound or only be burning more electricity and generating more heat than the XA60.8 would which appears to be enough power for my purposes?

Thanks

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
What a fun question and great thing for you to contemplate...POWER! In my own very limited and very non-techie experience, i have observed the following:

1. The more powerful versions of the same amp have NOT always sounded better. But that has not always been the case...so that is a variable you will have to consider in this question. If the bigger version sounds better...is it because of the power...or something else? And vice versa...if WORSE, was it power or not?

2. IN GENERAL, I have found that whenever i went with more power, i gained an effortlessness that was really remarkable. The closest visual comparison i can make is watching a grown elephant lifting up logs with its trunk...if you've ever tried to move even 3-5 sheets of ply or a solid-core oak door...the elephant glides so effortlessly with something that weighs probably 1,000lbs-1500lbs or more. Its like the log is floating. Same with notes, decay, transients. As each note loses any effort in acceleration or deceleration, or delineation...there is an EASE to the music which REALLY is special.

3. I have sometimes found with bigger versions of the same amp, sometimes i hear a grain profile or a lack of organic/sweetness nuance in contrast to, say, the 50-watt versions.

In the best scenario (like the big Boulders) you probably go up in every regard...at minimum, i would think that while you dont 'need' the extra power...with the Pass, i am going to 'guess' you probably 'will' hear a difference in that effortlessness, ease with the S3s which (i dont know) i imagine will put that power to good use given their high-resolving capability.

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
What a fun question and great thing for you to contemplate...POWER! In my own very limited and very non-techie experience, i have observed the following:

1. The more powerful versions of the same amp have NOT always sounded better. But that has not always been the case...so that is a variable you will have to consider in this question. If the bigger version sounds better...is it because of the power...or something else? And vice versa...if WORSE, was it power or not?

2. IN GENERAL, I have found that whenever i went with more power, i gained an effortlessness that was really remarkable. The closest visual comparison i can make is watching a grown elephant lifting up logs with its trunk...if you've ever tried to move even 3-5 sheets of ply or a solid-core oak door...the elephant glides so effortlessly with something that weighs probably 1,000lbs-1500lbs or more. Its like the log is floating. Same with notes, decay, transients. As each note loses any effort in acceleration or deceleration, or delineation...there is an EASE to the music which REALLY is special.

3. I have sometimes found with bigger versions of the same amp, sometimes i hear a grain profile or a lack of organic/sweetness nuance in contrast to, say, the 50-watt versions.

In the best scenario (like the big Boulders) you probably go up in every regard...at minimum, i would think that while you dont 'need' the extra power...with the Pass, i am going to 'guess' you probably 'will' hear a difference in that effortlessness, ease with the S3s which (i dont know) i imagine will put that power to good use given their high-resolving capability.

Hello and thanks for your reply.

I have also always been of the mindset that more is better when it comes to amplifier power and while dealing with shoe box sized amps like my Mola's this was an easy route to take. But, now as I contemplate the addition of an even larger Pass Labs model then the XA30.5 things like logistics and floor space real estate start to enter into the equation that were never a concern before. I'm not so much worried about the 700-900w of idling space heaters these things will turn out to be as I am with the logistics of receiving them, un-boxing them, maneuvering them and god forbid if they crap out one day and need to be shipped back :eek: . I'm not exactly a spring chicken anymore so man handling stuff is not as easy as it used to be. If I'm lucky these things wont crap out for at least 10yrs but by then even budging these mammoths will probably be impossible. I guess this may be one reason why hired help was invented :)

Anyway, I do see that Pass makes mention of each XA.8 has its own sonic signature so here's to hoping the smaller XA60.8's signature is one that I can live with. Reviews are still a bit scarce on these models but the ones I have read do seem to suggest that both the XA30.8 & XA60.8 are not likely to disappoint if one already likes the .5 versions of each.

Will see...Thanks

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have heard excellent things about the 60.8 in particular within the range...an intense sweetness in the mids or something. I cannot remember where i read that, but I hope you will enjoy it...instinctively sense that you will.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I think that if the needles move on the XA30.5 it means it is leaving Class A for Class A/B. Like all of the XA.5 series it has 6 dB of Class A/B "headroom" before clipping.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I think that if the needles move on the XA30.5 it means it is leaving Class A for Class A/B. Like all of the XA.5 series it has 6 dB of Class A/B "headroom" before clipping.

Well, that surely then is worth a trial to the 60.8 just to see what keeps the amp within Class A.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Hi cjf,

If you live in the US, Reno HI Fi will allow you to audition any Pass amp for two weeks. If you don't like, you return and are responsible for ship costs. The best way to answer your questions I believe. Worth a call.

I've had an X250.5 for years. Tried a X350.5. Sent it back. Preferred the "lower" powered version.

I think each amp, even within the same brand, has its own sonic personality.

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
Hi cjf,

If you live in the US, Reno HI Fi will allow you to audition any Pass amp for two weeks. If you don't like, you return and are responsible for ship costs. The best way to answer your questions I believe. Worth a call.

I've had an X250.5 for years. Tried a X350.5. Sent it back. Preferred the "lower" powered version.

I think each amp, even within the same brand, has its own sonic personality.

Hello,

The route you mention is exactly what I was intending to do. It will be interesting to see how the XA60.8's sound compared to the XA30.5. I'm not expecting that I will be disappointed with their power or their less "Tubey" sonic signature (according to the reviews) compared to the .5 series. Considering my long history with Class D amps known for their cleanliness and lack of sonic signature I remain optimistic that the XA.8 may be the way to go for me more so than the .5 series.

But with that said one thing is for sure, I find the baby XA30.5 to be a remarkable sounding amp. I am very impressed by just how BIG this little guy can sound while driving the fairly brutal load presented by the Magico S3's I own.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I think you should ask yourself how honest some of the Mola Mola sound is, classD raises the lower information naturally so you get a bump in detail and such. And if the bass sound real. Maybe other factors are holding the amps back.

Try running your amp not through the isolation transformer. Even on an extension cord. Let me know the results, we may have some items to talk about.

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
I think you should ask yourself how honest some of the Mola Mola sound is, classD raises the lower information naturally so you get a bump in detail and such. And if the bass sound real. Maybe other factors are holding the amps back.

Try running your amp not through the isolation transformer. Even on an extension cord. Let me know the results, we may have some items to talk about.

I'm not sure I follow what you are asking?

I ran the Mola's for a better part of 6mo without any sort of power conditioning. Never had any issues with Bass during that time. After putting them on the Torus RM20, Bass and its sound in general improved across the board to my ears. I have the Pass going straight into the wall at the moment.

One thing I can say is that there is a pretty stark difference in sound between the Mola's compared to the Pass XA30.5. I would feel pretty confident saying that even being blind folded I could pick out the difference between them 5/5 times. Which one is more real to the original recording would be hard to say without being present during the recording itself. Which sound I am preferring more as I compare the two units is a tough call. Each has its plus and minuses.

I am selling the Mola's but my reasons for that decision are more to do with just wanting to try something new than anything else.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
So you don't use the Torus with the amps, ok. That I didn't know. Well I don't have any more particular thoughts other than I wouldn't expect anything too much different in large Pass amps unless they're noted to be a fair bit different.

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
Hello,

Actually I was using the Torus with the Mola's for most of my time with them but now that I am selling them I do not intend to use the Torus in combination with the Pass Labs MonoBlocks I will be getting. The Torus will be put up for sale as well. The main reason may be silly to some but, I feel the Torus and the large Pass MonoBlocks will eat up too much floor space. I may look into acquiring another Shunyata Denali, the 2000T this time, at some point in the future.

I'm cutting myself off of any further thoughts on getting something bigger than the 60.8's and will live in ignorant bliss of what more the bigger Passes could have brought to the table :)

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
Hello,

I've recently aquired a new toy that I am using as a Guiena Pig to determine how many "Pass Labs" Watts I really need to support my listening habits and speaker of choice.

The "toy" I am speaking of is a Pass Labs XA30.5 Stereo Amp. The speakers are Magico S3's.

It's kind of funny, when I think of this XA30.5's advertised output, I can't help but grin as I stare at the numbers on paper compared to my "regular" Amps of choice which are significantly more powerful. But, with that said, do I really need as much power as I'm feeding these speakers and how is that extra headroom contributing to the sound I have grown to very much enjoy.

Here is where it gets interesting. Thus far, with the XA30.5 driving my speakers in my 24x15 room, I have only just barley got the little needle to move past 12 o'clock at what I would call the 90% mark of my normal listening level. Impressive to say the least!

So with the above in mind I ask this question to those Pass veterans on the forum:

1. Is there any reason to believe that going full overkill mode on the sizing aspect of the amp would get me anything at all above and beyond what I'm hearing now? In other words, if I'm only slightly ruffling the feathers of a XA30.5's power output and believe that a XA60.8 would fit the bill for my usage without a problem what is the likelyhood of a XA100.8 being even better still? It appears there are differences from an electrical capability standpoint and a slight edge in Damping Factor to the 100.8 on up but will it matter in this case?

It's a very interesting contrast when comparing the "Baby" Pass to my regular amps (Mola Mola Kaluga) on these speakers. I know Class D is not a very popular topology around here and usually gets kicked to the curb by most due to old biases some can't get past but when I hear these two very different beasts side by side I'm hard pressed to pick one being massively better then the other. At least not that would justify the typical responses seen by the usual suspects and fans of Class A only around here.

Anyway, I offer this brief comparison as a Segway into my next question about the sound of the more powerful Pass Labs offerings compared to the "Baby" Pass I am playing with.

When comparing the Mola's sound to the "Baby" Pass its like the equivalent of a Yamaha R1 compared to a Harley in terms of speed, acceleration, bass that's there one second and gone before the next second, with a smack you in the face type of impact to the notes capable of doing such things all the while not being over baring, harsh or in your face. But, is most of this due to the massive power differences between the two or just becuase of the topology differences? Would a much larger Pass than a XA60.8 do this more then the XA60.8 would given my previous comments on barley moving the needle of a XA30.5 I am using today?

I guess what I'm wondering is, would a larger Pass in my room with my speakers under the same listening conditions be putting me closer to that Mola Mola sound or only be burning more electricity and generating more heat than the XA60.8 would which appears to be enough power for my purposes?

Thanks

What AMP is the Harley and what is the R1? ( I ride so I like the comparo) Btw, I think you'll appreciate the greater .8 transparency (lower noise floor ) over the mid range bloom of the.5. But, that's just me. Let's us know what you end up getting. Frankly, I'd start with the XA-60.8 and see from there.

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
What AMP is the Harley and what is the R1? ( I ride so I like the comparo) Btw, I think you'll appreciate the greater .8 transparency (lower noise floor ) over the mid range bloom of the.5. But, that's just me. Let's us know what you end up getting. Frankly, I'd start with the XA-60.8 and see from there.

Hello,

In my opinion the XA30.5 is definitely the Harley. Big, Heavy, Inefficient, Hot, Thirsty (electricity in this case) while providing enough Torque to push along even the heaviest load effortlessly (ie..fat rider/stubborn speaker). It gets the job done and very well I might add.

The Mola is the R1. Exciting, Immediate (ie...starts/stops on a dime), demands your full attention at all times and could become exhausting after a while (several hours). With that said, you could just sit back and cruise along (listen) in a mellow fashion with it also if you really wanted to but in doing so you will probably be wasting its true talent which is keeping your senses within reach of a near death experience at all times. For some that feeling can be very addicting and for me it was; at least for a while :D

In recent months I find that I am beginning to like the Harley experience a bit more. Must be a sign of getting old :)

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
Hello,

In my opinion the XA30.5 is definitely the Harley. Big, Heavy, Inefficient, Hot, Thirsty (electricity in this case) while providing enough Torque to push along even the heaviest load effortlessly (ie..fat rider/stubborn speaker). It gets the job done and very well I might add.

The Mola is the R1. Exciting, Immediate (ie...starts/stops on a dime), demands your full attention at all times and could become exhausting after a while (several hours). With that said, you could just sit back and cruise along (listen) in a mellow fashion with it also if you really wanted to but in doing so you will probably be wasting its true talent which is keeping your senses within reach of a near death experience at all times. For some that feeling can be very addicting and for me it was; at least for a while :D

In recent months I find that I am beginning to like the Harley experience a bit more. Must be a sign of getting old :)

Nice, let us know how you like the XA60.8s if you decide to go that route. Lot's of Pass and Magico users who enjoy this combination of speakers and electronics.

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
60.8's have arrived!

Im only about 100hrs into the break in period but so far I'm really liking what I hear. The sound has definitely matured quite a bit since taking them out of the box. This evening seems to be the first time I am getting a good idea of how they will sound for the most part going forward.

My initial concerns of them maybe not having enough power was pretty quickly put to rest the other day when I threw on Metallica's "For Whom The Bell Tolls" followed by "Orion" at the loudest level I would probably ever listen to the system (105db or so). Wow, yup they have plenty of juice and the needle wasnt even moving on the Amps yet :cool:

I am pleased to find out that these Amps seem to address the one main gripe I had with the XA.5 I had which was the puffy bass. The .8 to my ears seems to be very clean and controlled in how it does Bass and in general sounds very clean and transparent everywhere in the Freq range without white washing anything. It appears to have much to offer in terms of tone,body and nuance with a nice wide and deep soundstage.

No regrets from me here on these guys and I think its time to leap off the marry-go-round for a while and sit back enjoying the music collection.

Highly recommended

32129263884_bbb7a9b135_b.jpg

32592161330_cf4ae9dab7_b.jpg

jahatl513

Jan 1, 2019
Atlanta, Ga
It's been a while since your last comment. Do you still feel the same way today? Do you still have them? Whats your story now?

J

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing