Something new is coming from Magico...

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Glad to see Magico trying to keep up w Stacore, even down to the pricing.

Reactions: ack

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This should sort out Gian's rack problem as he needs two

Reactions: gian60

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) What I am really curious about is how the vibrations travel from the components down into those Magico shelves. It seems that a component's stock rubber footers would isolate and trap those vibrations in the chassis. Are they going to recommend replacing stock rubber feet with some kind of metal spike or footer that would transmit vibrations from the component into the shelf? Isolation vs. dissipation is a fascinating topic when it comes to Hifi.

Peter,

Debating strategies without firmly establish the objectives is always a mess. The only firmly established objective of a rack is keeping the equipment on place, all else is open to debate. The only reason I can see a speaker manufacturer selling a rack is modifying the sound signature of the equipment to suit his speakers, or just avoiding the sound signature of other racks.

Perhaps there is a third one - looking similar to the speakers. But it is a risky bet - many people prefer the wood texture and dislike the techno appearance of racks. If it was not for sound quality I would happily replace the fancy looking AF1 rack with a nice CMS or FiniteElement wood one.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Isolation is difficult - it is not straightforward to prevent energy from traveling (...)

Well my perspective is different - I would consider that isolation is easy - absorbing energy is not a problem. IMHO the real problem is that draining energy from equipment and isolation are conflicting requirements.

BTW, I think airborne feedback is not a problem most of the time - many experiments in the past have found that equipment sounds the same in the room and in the room aside.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Peter,

Debating strategies without firmly establish the objectives is always a mess. The only firmly established objective of a rack is keeping the equipment on place, all else is open to debate. The only reason I can see a speaker manufacturer selling a rack is modifying the sound signature of the equipment to suit his speakers, or just avoiding the sound signature of other racks.

Perhaps there is a third one - looking similar to the speakers.
But it is a risky bet - many people prefer the wood texture and dislike the techno appearance of racks. If it was not for sound quality I would happily replace the fancy looking AF1 rack with a nice CMS or FiniteElement wood one.

Thanks Francisco. I was not aware that I was debating strategies. In Magico's press release for this rack, they discuss energy dissipation. I'm simply curious how the energy from an electronic or source component will travel from the chassis to their rack shelf to be dissipated. Energy dissipation seems to be Magico's design strategy for the rack. They also have CNC machining capability in house, and perhaps extra capacity as they move toward more carbon fiber enclosures, so the material choice makes sense to me.

There may be another reason Magico is selling this rack: They want to make money. They are a business, with business interests. I presume that they think people will be interested in this rack and buy it. Yes, any new offering comes with some risk. It is possible that people traveling to the factory asked them about their racks in the demo room and they decided to explore the potential market for this product.

Regarding your decision based on sound quality to use the fancy looking AF1 rack: Have you compared the sound using a nice CMS or FiniteElement wood rack, or even some other alternative? How do you know the AF1 rack has better sound quality than some other rack system? I agree that aesthetics can be important in some contexts.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing