SonicTransporter i5 Review

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
New review of the sonicTransporter i5:
https://positive-feedback.com/audio-discourse/small-green-computers-sonictransporter-i5/

Key Quote about the sonicTransporter i5: "WAY better than any Mac or whatever we have had in house running any software I could out there… and with way less hassle and headaches"

Absolutely a wonderful review Andrew...many kind congratulations!!

From my firsthand experience, Andrew and the fine folks at Small Green Computer are top notch, extremely prompt with their customer service, and by-far the best performance buy in all of streaming.

I know one chap that has happily replaced his top-of-line MSB with the Small Green Computer solution...the MSB ended up in a WBF member’s setup.

Cheers!
ALF

Note, I am big fan of Andrew and paid, out of my own funds for my Small Green Computer kit...well, maybe, it was my wife’s funds :)

Last edited:

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I have been using the i5 for some time now and find it an excellent unit and the support from Andrew has been top notch.

I do not understand the post by ALF above. MSB products are DAC's or endpoints, while the sonicTransporter is for running Roon core and if necessary storing your music. They are complimentary not competing products. Are you speaking of a different product than the i5?

Last edited:

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
Hello Still-One,

Nice to read that you are also happy with Andrew’s products!

My bad, I apologize, I will need to amplify my previous comment. You are right about the sonicTransporter. The chap that I mentioned above was utilizing the MSB to feed into his Goldmund System. However, after integrating the sT into the mix, he found that the sT into the Goldmund architecture brought forth a wonderful surprise for him...he was so happy with the performance direct into the Goldmund that he decided to make the change. The Goldmund architecture has their DAC built into the mix; hence, when it is fed the signal directly into their preamplifier, the internal architecture has the capability to do the magic. The synergy with Andrew’s product facilitated the change for him.

Cheers!
ALF

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I first replaced my dedicated server with a Bluesound Vault 2 which for a lot less than my original server cost, performed equally as well. Then I decided to go with Roon and investigated all of the options. I was looking for something that had the ability to rip new music, provide the ability to run Roon Core and was as "plug n play" as possible. So I purchased the i5 CDR from SGC. Exactly what I needed. My music is stored on a NAS but I use the memory in the i5 CDR for backup. And an added benefit for me is that my Trinnov is already set up as an end point with a Roon input already defined!!

Andrew provides great support (even with some of my real dumb questions). And the new version of Roon supports Qobuz thought it is still in Beta in the US. Highly recommended.

Steve Bruzonsky

May 16, 2010
I love my Sonic Transporter i5 but replaced it with a Sonic Transporter i7 for ROON DSP due to latter's two ethernet ports so it can connect direct to my Sonore Signature Rendu SE! So I have a Sonic Transporter i5 for sale - PM me if interested!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
And if we have an i2s input into our DAC? or a BNC? Most intriguing!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Guys, this may be the product I'm looking for. SonicTransporter i5 w Sonore MicroRendu, w possible upgrade to better LPSs to both in time.

An immediate question. Is the USB capability of MicroRendu likely to be better than a one-box solution like Roon Nucleus?

If it is, then i5/MicroRendu is a no-brainer being same approx cost outlay.

Jul 9, 2018
Thank you for reaching out. Short answer, Yes - The microRendu is better than a one box solution. For more information on why a server and player solution is a better choice, please check out the following video:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Will do that Andrew, when I get a few mins.

Please bear with me, my Qs on this whole area may be beyond obvious. Computer audio is not my comfort zone in any way LOL.

I'm assuming that I take an Ethernet RS45 cable from the wall (CAT6 hardwired to connect from router downstairs) into the Gigawatt Ethernet port in the i5?

And then a USB cbl from the port adjacent into the MicroRendu (MR) and thence a USB cbl from the MR into my dac?

I'm sure this is on the video.

Just looking for an LPS that can maybe do twin 9V and 12V to accomodate the i5 and MR.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2018
No worries.

The video will help explain your questions.

As for LPS - we do not have a twin supply
For the microRendu, we have a 7V / 15W LPS
For the sonicTransporter, we have a 12V / 50W LPS

Thanks,
Jim (on behalf of Andrew)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Jim, the video didn't quite clarify anything. Does one connect USB from the i5 direct to the MR, and thence another USB from MR to dac.

Or do I need a switch at the wall where my CAT6 comes into the room?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Willdo. But flag me as very interested. I'm interested in a huge VFM dac, the MHDT Orchid r2r, and am hoping this in conjunction w i5/MR is an instant quality/sweetspot initial foray into Tidal or Qoboz via Roon.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Nga, their website shows as Sold Out.
No rush on this.
Any suggestions on the choice of Switch for the i9 and MicroRendu to connect into?

ngamountains

Apr 24, 2018
Nga, their website shows as Sold Out.
No rush on this.
Any suggestions on the choice of Switch for the i9 and MicroRendu to connect into?

Hi, spiritofmusic. I would suspect they’ll have more LPS relatively soon. They updated the design recently (past few months) so were out of stock for quite some time. Now that the revised design is out they may be still catching back up with demand.

Sorry I don’t have a recommendation for a switch. I have the sT i7, which is different than the i5 in that it has two ethernet jacks. It is “self-contained”, with one cable in from router and a second cable out to player (in my case Signature Rendu SE). Though maybe the right switch could provide a SQ improvement, it is not required and I am not using one.

I hope that helps.

Reactions: Rocoa

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Nga, that's kind of the simplicity I'm looking at.

Ie router>ST i7>UltraRendu or SignatureRendu>dac

I know w upgraded LPSs this takes the price into Innuos Zenith/Lumin territory, but do you feel the inherent quality of the i7 and especially the dedicated USB tech in the Ultra Rendu gives these the advantage?

Last edited:

GuillaumeB

VIP/Donor
Mar 10, 2014
UK
I've just ordered an i5 sonicTransporter to replace my first gen sT. With all the updates to Roon the sT was starting to struggle (very slow and occasional dropouts), mainlyy on high res 24/192 material and Qobuz integration. Fabulous service, ordered yesterday and already on its way to me with DHL updates and looks like it will land in the UK next Tuesday. If it wasn't for Easter w/e it might have come even sooner!

The sT is in a completely different room and different mains (separate consumer unit) so I am going to see if I can get away with the PSU that ships with the unit first. I have a MCRU LPS which I ordered for my original sT and tbh I didn't notice a huge difference when I put that in.

The i5 will connect directly to a switch in the study and then connect to my AQVox switch (standard model) in my listening room via a 20M run of AQ Carbon (Cat 7). I have a selection of ethernet cables including Entreq, AQ, Chord, TotalDac and some Shunyata prototypes.

I've also got a SOtM switch on its way (sNH-10G w/ sCLK-EX clock) which will replace the AQVox, and the AQVox will probably be repurposed to the study.

I should add that my DAC is fed by a Roon Ready device (d1 server) which connects via ethernet to the switch.

Guillaume

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Guillaume, I've sent you a PM, but you or anyone can possibly help me on the thread.
I can run the switch eg AqVox up here in my listening space, via Ethernet cbl to RS45 port in my room hardwired into house CAT6 from my router downstairs?
The ST i5 and MRendu connect into seperate ports on the switch?
I then connect the ST i5 to the MRendu, thence Rendu to dac?
And find a 3-output LPS like Ken Lau or HDPlex to provide superior power to switch, ST i5 and MRendu?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing