Sonus Faber Aida vs. Wilson XLF (with the MBL 101 Extreme thrown-in for fun)

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
No I didn't.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
No I didn't.

Thanks. I am hoping to hear Altairs next month...I missed my chance this month, and am trying again in a few weeks.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Luckily there is a speaker that always sounds good , its tall thin and starts with an A :confused::(....:D

Well okay i ll solve the riddle then ...acoustats :D

Mr elliott , i do believe that you have a lot of expirience , but still even in a non optimal situation ( just good situation) a high quality LS will let its quality speak

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
at the end of the day the dealers are in business to sell gear. They can advise and they can suggest but that's all they can do.
You can go buy a Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini etc. but no one can force you to take a driving course.
I hate to be the voice of doom ( LOL) but people will do what they want and many think its easy and of course many don't know or dont care.
this Industry has about as many opinions as there is products.
I will advise my clients the best I can but I am not going to refuse to sell them something if they want it.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
agreed . However buying a huge speaker like an XLF, Grand Utopia EM, etc is a mistake in a small room PERIOD. Thats why these companies make other products.The room and set up is so under appreciated.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Indeed agreed , the LS has to pressurize the room appropriate , not to much not to little
agreed . However buying a huge speaker like an XLF, Grand Utopia EM, etc is a mistake in a small room PERIOD. Thats why these companies make other products.The room and set up is so under appreciated.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
at the end of the day the dealers are in business to sell gear. They can advise and they can suggest but that's all they can do.
You can go buy a Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini etc. but no one can force you to take a driving course.
I hate to be the voice of doom ( LOL) but people will do what they want and many think its easy and of course many don't know or dont care.
this Industry has about as many opinions as there is products.
I will advise my clients the best I can but I am not going to refuse to sell them something if they want it.

Yes, you are right. ...You have a job to do (selling), a family to feed, etc. And your job only goes as far as YOU want it to go.
It is the very same with the customers (buyers) who check things out, and want to try in their own rooms without being pressurized, etc.

At that scale I want a dealer with all the advice I can get. ...Even for an expensive car, or an expensive boat or a house.
I'm in the business of shopping for the very best performance, and value. ...My job is to spend my money very wisely, 'sound' wise, solid happiness, no regrets.

Anything, and everything else is just cheap whiskey to me.

Last edited:

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Dear microstrip i have always posted in bold because for me it is easier to see and for many others like me, if this was not permited it would be different, no i am not yelling it is only for people like me that have bad eyesight, i'm sorry if it is uncomfortable for you but for me it's much easier to read sorry.

Your reasoning is a bit convoluted. . No one else posts in all caps and I would think those are the posts you might have trouble reading. You already know what your own post says.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Your reasoning is a bit convoluted. .
No one else posts in all caps and I would think those are the posts you might have trouble reading. You already know what your own post says.

Touche Jim! ...Perhaps we should all adopt Andre's 'style'? ;)

* I thought of that a long time ago, but I never bothered to mention it. ...And now that you just did .... :b

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Your reasoning is a bit convoluted. . No one else posts in all caps and I would think those are the posts you might have trouble reading. You already know what your own post says.

No one and i do mean no one is obliged to read my posts, if it's to painful please jump to the next one, i don't want anybody to do something that they don't want to do peace.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
No one and i do mean no one is obliged to read my posts, if it's to painful please jump to the next one, i don't want anybody to do something that they don't want to do peace.

Sorry, but it is not so simple. I only hope that the moderators will take care of this annoying aspect.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
I think he is trying to make friends here ? :confused:

Friends i already have, i'm here to talk about audio if some would rather talk grammar that is their choice.

Last edited:

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
Friends i already have, I'm here to talk about audio if some would rather talk about grammar that is their choice.
We can discuss punctuation, too. :D

I use standard size type and use bold only for emphasis when needed and appreciate the courtesy and consideration shown by others who do that. If the type size is too small you can increase it in most modern web browsers by holding down the [Ctrl] key and pressing the [+] key in the numeric keypad. [Ctrl] [-] does the opposite.
It's not rocket science and only takes a moment.
Now back to audio.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
We can discuss punctuation, too. :D

I use standard size type and use bold only for emphasis when needed and appreciate the courtesy and consideration shown by others who do that. If the type size is too small you can increase it in most modern web browsers by holding down the [Ctrl] key and pressing the [+] key in the numeric keypad. [Ctrl] [-] does the opposite.
It's not rocket science and only takes a moment.
Now back to audio.

Dear Brian, as a francophone i do my best to communicate in the english language i don't use ponctuations in my mother tongue so don't expect me to use them in another language i am 68 years old and have no intention of going back to scholl if you also have a problem reading my posts all you have to do is skip them and go to the next one there is nothing else i can do.

PS: Thanks for the ( ctrl + ) i will use this from now on.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Dear Brian, as a francophone i do my best to communicate in the english language i don't use ponctuations in my mother tongue so don't expect me to use them in another language i am 68 years old and have no intention of going back to scholl if you also have a problem reading my posts all you have to do is skip them and go to the next one there is nothing else i can do.

Thanks for your comprehension. BTW, I am also a non native english writer and I speak or write more fluently in french, my second language, than in english. Sometimes I have to be careful not to mix french expressions in my posts, surtout après avoir tenu un meeting en français.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Thanks for your comprehension. BTW, I am also a non native english writer and I speak or write more fluently in french, my second language, than in english. Sometimes I have to be careful not to mix french expressions in my posts, surtout après avoir tenu un meeting en français.

You are welcome microstrip.

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com

A run-on sentence is a run-on sentence in any language.
There's a big difference between can't and won't.

Hey, you kids! Get off my lawn!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing