Sonus Faber Aida

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul
Do any members have some info on this new SF speaker? There is only a teaser video on SF website and some bits and pieces of info on the some forums?

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Sadly no.
There is a lot of interest in this product on Audioafic that has a reasonably large and active SF fan base, even there not much is known.
Seems a couple know a bit about the product but cannot post anything, I bet that is really difficult for them not to give clues :)
Still, I am guessing it will be reasonably pricey as from what I understand it will be above the current Futura line with more "dna" of the The Sonus Faber.

Cheers
Orb

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
The Aida launch will be at 3 dealers in the US in the second week of December.

Then FineSounds and Sumiko will show the Aida at CES.

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
Aida - The Diva makes her first appearance

Space is limited and so RSVP to LMC is necessary

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
Aida - The Grand Dame's Opening Night Finale

Contact The Sound Experience to make sure you can attend. TSE is a small venue and space is extremely limited.

Last edited:

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Thanks for the update Metaphacts.
Will those openings be online to view or we have to wait for product images at SF/Sumiko?
Thanks
Orb

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
There will be video and photos but nothing will be released before the unveiling for the press in New York on December 13. After that I would expect many, many detailed photos to be available. She's big, but imo she is easily the most gorgeous Sonus faber ever.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Thanks for the update,
looking forward to what I can read in the forums and from press.
Metaphacts, any idea how-where-when it will be presented in Europe?
Appreciate this may utilise specific local distributors and may limit your involvment.

Thanks
Orb

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
Thanks for the update,
looking forward to what I can read in the forums and from press.
Metaphacts, any idea how-where-when it will be presented in Europe?
Appreciate this may utilise specific local distributors and may limit your involvment.

Thanks
Orb

My best guess for Europe is Herman van den Dungen from Durob in BeNeLux. Herman is a solid guy and has been leading the way with Aida from the start.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I read a small piece of the review , interesting design with a new design direction for sonus faber it looks like with al the backfiring units .
Ken kessler also a dartzeel fan???

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I have no doubt about that , if i was shopping in that market i would also include a kharma exquisite classic .
I am curious to read what your expiriences are from the comparison , also what your thoughts are of the new softdome used by wilson which is kind of a new wilson direction .

hj

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
precisely my desire to compare them as that silk dome tweeter fascinates me. What I heard at CES from that Aida was nothing short of spectacular and indeed Wilson gave excellent explanation as to why he chose the silk dome tweeter

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Indeed soft domes have never gone away .
I must say wilson and SF have always stayed away from the ceramic /diamond/ultra stiff membrane materials.
I think they both have their strengths if implemented well , although soft domes and papercomposite midranges are easier on the ear over time

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I read a small piece of the review , interesting design with a new design direction for sonus faber it looks like with al the backfiring units .
Ken kessler also a dartzeel fan???

The big cousin, the TheSonusFaber, also has backfiring units - better a backfiring small speaker inside the big speaker. Steve will correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the Alexandria X2 have a rear firing tweeter?

Attachments

• aa1..jpg
    aa1..jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,504

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The big cousin, the TheSonusFaber, also has backfiring units - better a backfiring small speaker inside the big speaker. Steve will correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the Alexandria X2 have a rear firing tweeter?

It has an ultratweeter on the top of the upper mid range module

Super Tweeter: One - 1 inch rear firing (2.54 cm)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing