Sonus Faber Stradivari ....

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I was fortunately to having the choice to choose the colour that my local dealer happens to have both available. End up getting the graphite as I thought in long term view the darker colour will make less visually tiredness. View attachment 67780

Yes, the graphite finish is stunning. My old pair was also graphite, as you I also felt the speaker was too large for the red finish. g1.jpg

Reactions: PeterA

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul
Congrats on Strads. a good solid state is giving a much better performance. I have used it with MBL 9008A monos than with gryphon Antileon signature stereo and since last 7 years with Soulution 7 series pre and stereo amp.

Mikeeo

VIP/Donor
Oct 21, 2015
Pan European
Hi,

There is a huge difference in SQ to the better without the speaker grilles! Never use mine, try if you not yet did. Another great optimization is to put Ansuz Darkz or Stillpoints under the spiked feet, makes a welcome difference with tighter base and more open mids. I run mine with Ansuz Darkz DTC with a pronounced positive effect.

Mike

I was fortunately to having the choice to choose the colour that my local dealer happens to have both available. End up getting the graphite as I thought in long term view the darker colour will make less visually tiredness. View attachment 67780

Attachments

• Spikes.jpg
    Spikes.jpg
    544.3 KB · Views: 20

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul
Still using original feet but reinforced with underneath seismic platform of Townshend audio.
31D002E0-5749-491F-BE27-D75BEB6BD1C7.jpeg

Reactions: Mikeeo

bk16

Jul 16, 2017

bk16

Jul 16, 2017
Hi,

There is a huge difference in SQ to the better without the speaker grilles! Never use mine, try if you not yet did. Another great optimization is to put Ansuz Darkz or Stillpoints under the spiked feet, makes a welcome difference with tighter base and more open mids. I run mine with Ansuz Darkz DTC with a pronounced positive effect.

Mike
Thanks Mike. Never thought the grill will affect the SQ. Will definitely try it out when I have a friend to visit me after the stage 4 lock down here in Melbourneo_Oo_Oo_O

In terms of speaker isolation I have tried a brand with something "xxxx harmonics" made of some sort of wooden material with metal insert but the difference it made wasn't that big and felt a bit gimmicky to be very honest. I always wanted to try some Stillpoint products. What makes you to decide on Ansuz Darkz DTC over the Stillpoint?

Cheers

bk16

Jul 16, 2017
Congrats on Strads. a good solid state is giving a much better performance. I have used it with MBL 9008A monos than with gryphon Antileon signature stereo and since last 7 years with Soulution 7 series pre and stereo amp.
Thanks for the tips. Will definitely go with solid state this time around.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks Mike. Never thought the grill will affect the SQ. Will definitely try it out when I have a friend to visit me after the stage 4 lock down here in Melbourneo_Oo_Oo_O

In terms of speaker isolation I have tried a brand with something "xxxx harmonics" made of some sort of wooden material with metal insert but the difference it made wasn't that big and felt a bit gimmicky to be very honest. I always wanted to try some Stillpoint products. What makes you to decide on Ansuz Darkz DTC over the Stillpoint?

Cheers
Hi BK16,

Having owned the SF Guarneris (original) and Strads...my experience was that I was happy to leave the Grilles on the Gs...but I ALWAYS took off the Grilles on the Strads. Always...it did interfere in our system and to our ears.

bk16

Jul 16, 2017
Hi BK16,

Having owned the SF Guarneris (original) and Strads...my experience was that I was happy to leave the Grilles on the Gs...but I ALWAYS took off the Grilles on the Strads. Always...it did interfere in our system and to our ears.
Thanks heaps Lloyd. just removed them now. wow what a difference it made! everything just more opened up less constrained and i heard more details.

bk16

Jul 16, 2017
Trying a Electrocompaniet aw250 paired with the gat. Very good synergy indeed. Beautiful mids and liquid smooth top end. 227EBB1D-F8C4-4453-A79B-8C159BDF05DE.jpeg

Reactions: HughP3 and Mikeeo

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks heaps Lloyd. just removed them now. wow what a difference it made! everything just more opened up less constrained and i heard more details.
Great to hear! Enjoy. They are an outstanding speaker.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Definetively nice looking speakers .
I love their ultimate design as well ; the sonus faber or something its called you dont hear much about it .

Mikeeo

VIP/Donor
Oct 21, 2015
Pan European

Cheers
Hi,

Now you discovered the grill effect, great! My choice of the Ansuz Darkz was easy, they are so much better than Stillpoints but we all pray to different 'religions'. So try please with both brands or other of same type and see what works for you but for sure there are enhancements to be had. In general I would say that that 'feet' with ball bearing type (ceramic, metal, etc) of construction give the best effect.

Keep on discovering the full potential and enjoy/Mike

Mikeeo

VIP/Donor
Oct 21, 2015
Pan European
Hi BK16,

Hi,

Strange, as I thought GH org benefitted more from removing the grilles than Strads even if mandatory for both. Still have the GH org (last year production) and will never let them go.

Mike

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
The grilles on the Strads create comb filtering. I believe the impact is somewhat dependent on the room setup.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi,

Strange, as I thought GH org benefitted more from removing the grilles than Strads even if mandatory for both. Still have the GH org (last year production) and will never let them go.

Mike

From memory, I could easily see that happening in a different setup. For some reason in ours, the Guarneri treble became hot with the grilles off. But the opposite occurred with the grilles off on the Strads...we got clarity, openness, detail.

Mikeeo

VIP/Donor
Oct 21, 2015
Pan European
From memory, I could easily see that happening in a different setup. For some reason in ours, the Guarneri treble became hot with the grilles off. But the opposite occurred with the grilles off on the Strads...we got clarity, openness, detail.

Hi, I would never think that the GH could be hot in the top but everything is possible of course and that is the charm with this hobby.

Mike

bk16

Jul 16, 2017
Hi,

Mike
Hi Mike,

I have searched on Ansuz website but couldn't find the same product as yours(DTC) and the upper part of the spikeshoe that holding the spikes. Any chance to point me a direction where can i get them?

Thanks

Evan

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing