WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Looks as though they have settled on the final version. I still have not seen then in store.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
It appears this is aimed directly at the Bose 700 at the same price. Probably the 4 will remain available. I ijjust checked the Bose site. The Bose 700 is now available for$299.00. If you can't beat 'em.., lower your price. Or maybe Bose is set to announce an upgrade. this could be fun.

cq5dam.web.1280.1280.png

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Finally got to hear these at Best Buy. From a pure sound perspective * Damn good.
More to follow.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
waiting patiently
Even though they had the four on display it was static. That means i'll have to compare it to my own pair.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I should have this in house this weekend.

Reactions: Hi-FiGuy

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Arrived today

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
"Mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the fairest of them all?" I guess that SONY has never been satisfied to be king of the hill. They want to eliminate the competition. Which may explain why these he4adphones appear to of a combination of SONY mk4, Bose 700 and Apple Aairpod. At least form an aesthetic perspective. See above video.
I cant say that the mk4 left me wanting. That is to say I never thought if only tthe mark 4 had this I would be happy. I am waiting for the new Bluetooth. but that is not on SONY.
I pan to run thru 4 phrases.
Evaluate them in Bluetooth mode, with the go- blue, the hipdac1and the the big dog Diablo. All by iFi Audio of course. Rest assured the mk5 can easily be driven by your android phone amp/dac. That means it is an excellent choice for the non audiophile.
Break- in is required.
This is a quality product that can sustain abuse associated with day to day mobility.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
PLAYLIST via Tidal
1. Court and Spark
Herbie Hancock Norah Jones
2. Sista
Rachelle Farrell
3. I Forgive You
Rachelle Farrell
4. Police and Thieves
Zara McFarlane
5.Lay Lady Lay
Cassaundra Wilson
6. Baby
Ashanti
6. Consider Me Gone
Christian McBride, Sting
7.Kiss in Blue
Yello, Heidi Happy
8. In your Wild Garden
Josephine Cronholm, Ibis
9.Calypso Blues
Youn Sun Nah
10. St. James Infirmary
11.Woman Child
Cecile Mcloren Salvant
12. Speak Low
Elaine Elias
13. New Years Day
Karen Souza
14. Heaven
Kem

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
It loves the hip dac.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
20221005_024957.jpg

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Preliminary results suggest the XM5 is excellent. I had to pull out my Senn HD800S for comparison. Don't pull out your credit card yet. There is more listening to be done. Purist will appreciate the linear bass response.

Reactions: Alrainbow

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
SONY has no interest in me. No real need to say I have no financial interest in this product. It will be returned.
Two questions should be answered.
1. If you are searching for the best mobile headphone with noise cancelling should you look any further
2. Should you sell your XM4 and purchase the XM5.
Black Friday and cyber Monday are very near and who knows what the street price will be. I would wait and see. the other problem even you dont own the xm4 currently and can be found in thesub$300 category. I could be happy with the XXXXM4.
the xm5 appears to be ant attempt to be all all things to all people. That inherently invites compromise. Luckily I care most about sound quality comfoprt and and price. It delivers the first two i spades. Price is always a subjective choice. The xm4 is available at the airport. That suggest that at 350 SONY regards it as an impulse purchase GO-blu-13-768x512.jpg . For those people adding 50 dollars should not be a big deal. The xm4 will remain in the line up. So the dealers will not be dumping them. I think.
AMp/dacc
This is mobile/ travel headphone. which made me hope iFi Adio Go-Blue would work well I was not disappointed. you can use the XM5 sans outboard amp dac with good results, go blue makes and excellent match. the connection from the Go blue to the is via cable however the connection from smartphone to is Bluetooth. this means you can put the Go-Blue almost anywhere you like. The same applies for the smartphone. the headphones are on your head.;) The most cumbersome part of this combo is the phone that can b e placed anywhere. if only I could wear my helmet the same time I where bike helmet. Are you listening Giro(TM)? Breakin is about 80%complete.
For comm uters the xm5 is lightweight, comfortable, attractive enough for business attire and does and excellent job of filtering ambient noise. Ambient noise mode is still recommend for use in heavy traffic areas. The travel case can be put in your backpack or attached to you rbelt. I recommend a battery pack for extended play. On a full charge you should be home before recharging is necessary.
sound with Go Blue.
The bass is tight and more linear voice are are clear and realistic. noise cancellation contributes to asubstantial background. Percusiive instruments.Dynamicws are as good as you require. vven if you surpass normal value volume levels it rarely breaks up.it passes my ultimate teast. I want to keep listening. Just one more song before bed. each dac amp improves the sound.
TBC...

Last edited:

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
So you beleive going from the M3 to the 5 would be worthwhile?
Would be cool to hang my 3's on the mower for good.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
indeed. Remember. I went directly from the 2 to the 4.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing