Soothing the audiophile itch in 2021

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Happy holidays everyone.

The audiophile itch can be strong. Some of us were not very nice in 2020 so Santa may not be dropping off any cables, speakers or amps under the tree. I am curious what you all are thinking of upgrading or changing in 2021. Surely there must be something. For me, I am thinking I will go give a serious listen to the Wilson XVX.

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
I should have my new Daedalus Zeus speakers in a month or so. For the remainder of 2021 I will either go with an Emia Ag SUT or new amps. Lamm ML 2/ 2.1, Air Tight 300r, Allnic 300b/PX25, Emia are on my short list.

Last edited:
Reactions: jazdoc and timztunz

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
No upgrade itch here. Very happy with my system. I've achieved what I wanted, and am not anymore enticed thinking about upgrades when I hear other systems, as I had been in the past. Those upgrades over the last few years did cause tremendous progress in my system.

A little tweak here and there maybe, but mostly for little money -- my latest improvement was a tweak for less than a hundred bucks. The one before was about 32 bucks ;).

Merry Christmas!

Reactions: Daverich4

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
After a fruitless 3 year search for quiet tubes to sort my noisy Nat Utopia preamp that was forcing me in the direction of a change to something like the Emia Elmaformer, I got very lucky w Brent Jessee 6DJ8 Mazdas and Mullards. Going to invest the funds I would have sunk into the Emia instead into remaining three Bocchino IEC upgrades to Sablon Elites and a handful of Furutech Boosters.

Straingauge Energiser upgrade to Level 12 status, plus spare stylii.

Eera Tentation CDP mods.

Herbies Audio Labs tube dampers, incl to my quad 211s, and DIY Isodamp/steel bench block combo chassis dampers.

Last edited:

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I am looking at an upgrade to a dCS converter.

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Thinking about a CD player upgrade and contemplating esoteric grandioso or accuphase 2 box player. I’d welcome any experience of either from forum members.
have a wonderful Xmas and new year....

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I am very happy with my current system. However, if Lumin releases a better player than the X1 I probably will get it. Other than that I will wait for the next generation of Shunyata cables before upgrading my cables. Here's hoping 2021 is muy better than 2020.

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
I should have my new Daedalus Zeus speakers in a month or so. For the remainder of 2021 I will either go with an Emia Ag SUT or new amps. Lamm ML 2/ 2.1, Air Tight 300r, Allnic 300b/PX25, Emia are on my short list.
The Air Tight 300R intrigues me as well. Just saw Dock Olsher's review this month to add to the commentary. ATM-300R Review

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
The Air Tight 300R intrigues me as well. Just saw Dock Olsher's review this month to add to the commentary. ATM-300R Review
Yes, the last few sentences of that review are quite the statement. Art Dudley's review is also another data point. For you, it is a reference for John Devore. The only downside is the price of Air Tight keeps creeping up, it is more than what is mentioned in those reviews. $17,500 without 300b tubes. The new price point makes me consider other contenders.

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
For you, it is a reference for John Devore.
Yes, I've had a few email discussions with John about his impressions with the pairing. Here's what he said:

We have the Air Tight 300R here, and it’s a terrific match for the O/96. First off, I’d say that it has less of what is considered the classic 300B sound than any other similar amp I’ve had here. The midrange-centric, lucid beauty that characterizes many other 300B single-ended amps isn’t really where this amp is at. It certainly still has a full measure of the single-ended-triode clarity and beauty, it is quite transparent and broadband yet has truly remarkable detail and nuance.

Reactions: advanced101

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
Keep us updated if you decide to pull the trigger. Ill have a better idea of my direction when my new speakers arrive.

Reactions: DeadWax

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
I'm thinking the rack is the weak spot in the system right now so I'm likely going to go all HRS in 2021. Otherwise happy for now ...

George

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Looks like a few nice upgrades planned for 2021. I think it will be interesting to see what new products come out in 2021. The designers had nothing else to do in 2020 so I am thinking we will see a lot of rev.2's and mk 4's etc as they had time to tweak and tinker.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
No upgrade itch here. Very happy with my system. I've achieved what I wanted, and am not anymore enticed thinking about upgrades when I hear other systems, as I had been in the past. Those upgrades over the last few years did cause tremendous progress in my system.

A little tweak here and there maybe, but mostly for little money -- my latest improvement was a tweak for less than a hundred bucks. The one before was about 32 bucks ;).

Merry Christmas!
Same here. I'm done.

Reactions: Al M.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com

Merry Christmas!
confessions like this might get you excommunicated!

• Haha
Reactions: Al M. and PeterA

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
For the sake of marital harmony, I think adding to the software collection should be what I limit myself to in 2021. this year saw a bit too much on the hardware upgrade front (according to the lovely & talented Mrs. Bob) but I am thrilled with what I’m hearing and staying up much too late.

Reactions: Mikem53

Symbiose

Dec 19, 2020
In 2021 I will build my first high end system, I will have to buy all parts, from the speaker to the cables. I have already decided on which manufacturer and models to buy, it will be from esoteric, ch precision, gauder akustik and crystal connect.

Reactions: advanced101

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
I am hoping 2021 will bring Ron a new room in which to put his awe inspiring Gryphon Pendragons. I really want to see what those look like in his room.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I am hoping 2021 will bring Ron a new room in which to put his awe inspiring Gryphon Pendragons. I really want to see what those look like in his room.

Very sweet, sbnx! I appreciate it!

Thank you!

Reactions: GMKF

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing