Sorane TA1L or Groovemaster ?

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
IMG_1904.jpg

I am going to migrate my FR66S to another table soon. Looking for advice on a replacement. So far, based on armchair research, I have narrowed it down to either a Sorane TA1L 12.7" or a GrooveMaster II 12". I listen to a lot of vocals & will pair this with a low compliance cart that sounds similar to a Koetsu but cannot afford Koetsu's price (recommendation would b much appreciated). Thanks !

Shuggie

Sep 9, 2020
UK
ammonite-audio.co.uk
I cannot see any effective mass specification for the Sorane TA1L - all they quote is a cartridge weight range. If you want to use low compliance cartridges, you need a relatively high effective mass arm, as you do already. A 12" Groovemaster has effective mass of around 29g, which is not far off your FR66S, so definitely good for cartridges in Koetsu mould.

Reactions: joeling

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Shuggie,

Thanks for the insight. Any insight on a cartridge that approaches the sound of Koetsu without the price penalty ? :)

Shuggie

Sep 9, 2020
UK
ammonite-audio.co.uk
Shuggie,

Thanks for the insight. Any insight on a cartridge that approaches the sound of Koetsu without the price penalty ? :)
Cartridges are such a matter for individual taste, and I do think that on the whole you do get what you pay for. So, Koetsu on the cheap? I'm not sure I can recommend anything substantially cheaper, but I'm currently evaluating a Sculpture A A3.M cartridge which is really rather good, at around £2k/€2k.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I use Groovemaster arms a lot and also have used an FR64S for long as well...so within my sample set I would say the GM is a very good arm if a little less 'energetic' vs the FR yet still highly recomended. Sorry no direct Sorane experience.

as for carts what phono front end are you planning to use?

djsina2

May 30, 2019
I asked the GM/Sorane distributor once what was better for a low compliance cartridge and he said both were good but thought the SA1.2 might be a litter better. I know you asked about a different Sorane but I think the high mass of the SA is more suited for what you want.

Reactions: joeling

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
have used the GMII with 23 gram carts in the 5cu range so while preference may bear it is up to the task...

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
The PTP table is for a 12" arm so I need to replace with something in a the similar range.

groovemaster

VIP/Donor
Sep 26, 2017
I asked the GM/Sorane distributor once what was better for a low compliance cartridge and he said both were good but thought the SA1.2 might be a litter better. I know you asked about a different Sorane but I think the high mass of the SA is more suited for what you want.
My last look at Sorane was on a KUZMA Stabi Silver. The 1.2 fits very well to this kind of technical players.

_DSC1748_2.jpg
groovemaster

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
The Sorane TA-1L has a highe effective mass than the standard SA-1.2. If you look to the picture of the SA-1.2, you see in the front the round hole. You can click in here an additional weight which will add 3g effective mass.

The Sorane TA-1L is a 12.7" arm, which will need 322mm mounting distance, which is a little more than FR66s.

Sorane is offereing an armbase with center nut fitting, similar to FR64s. Even the heavy nut from FR, the N-60 is fitting.

I prefer TA-1L with the more heavy arm base with center nut plus a heavy nut. Than adding a heavy Headshell, like 18g Yamamoto HS-5 will make the TA-1L fully compatible with the upper Koetsu carts, still not getting the performance of FR66s or Ikeda 407.

But as the arm is much cheaper, the performance is very fine for the price point.

Have not heard the Goovemaster in direct comparison,
but I would assume, that the difference in mounting distance (Groovemaster 290mm) drives most likely the decision

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
I would recommend the Groovemaster paired with the fieldcoil DaVa FC1A which blows most Koetsus out of the water imo...
I have used the combo myself and know it as a superb match
in pic both the stereo and mono are on The Peak from Stefano Bertoncello and the Groovemaster carries the Rowland Complement, but it was only set up this way for comparison purposes and the DaVa certainly sounded at least as good in the Groovemaster
1637000356924.png
best
Leif

Last edited:
Reactions: Audire
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
I use Groovemaster arms a lot and also have used an FR64S for long as well...so within my sample set I would say the GM is a very good arm if a little less 'energetic' vs the FR yet still highly recomended. Sorry no direct Sorane experience.

as for carts what phono front end are you planning to use?
the FRs "energy" is the resonance from the coil in the dynamic VTF system imo

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
the FRs "energy" is the resonance from the coil in the dynamic VTF system imo
yeah the FR's' arms are not above reproach- the spring issue is well documented and JCarr also wrapped the arm tube and removed some bits on his iirc. All said the FR64S remains a fun arm for low compliance carts ( I say FR64S because the 66S is now at a price that would make me look elsewhere )

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I would recommend the Groovemaster paired with the fieldcoil DaVa FC1A which blows most Koetsus out of the water imo...
I have used the combo myself and know it as a superb match
Both are in the classifieds right now ;)

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
How about Glanzs?

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
View attachment 83789

I am going to migrate my FR66S to another table soon. Looking for advice on a replacement. So far, based on armchair research, I have narrowed it down to either a Sorane TA1L 12.7" or a GrooveMaster II 12". I listen to a lot of vocals & will pair this with a low compliance cart that sounds similar to a Koetsu but cannot afford Koetsu's price (recommendation would b much appreciated). Thanks !
Hi- late entry into this but I was wondering what that clamp is that you are using on the PTP? Just about to order my PTP Solid 12 and I'm a fan of the clamp. Do you find it to have sonic benefits?

Love your table design by the way. Thinking about doing the same thing for mine. Not sure yet!

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Hi- late entry into this but I was wondering what that clamp is that you are using on the PTP? Just about to order my PTP Solid 12 and I'm a fan of the clamp. Do you find it to have sonic benefits?

Love your table design by the way. Thinking about doing the same thing for mine. Not sure yet!
The clamp is a Tiglon audio clamp

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing