SOtM sNH-10G Network Switches x2 : The NEW KING of USB/Network Gadget Setup

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I wrote a thread about 3 months ago : The Best USB/Network Gadget Setup I have auditioned in 2018 : SOtM+Cybershaft+Uptone.
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...itioned-in-2018-sotm-cybershaft-uptone.27025/

It has been surpassed in just 3 months' time!
I listened to the following setup last night :

20190328_214455_2.jpg

Most of the components used are the same : Cybershaft Limited2 OP20 10M clock, SOtM tx-USBultra usb conditioner, Habst 5N Silver Cryo clock cables & coaxial digital cables; Lessloss C-Marc Supercord with Firewall 64X module, Chord Blu2 for upscaling before entering a Chord DAVE dac ...etc
Please refer to my previous post.

The only difference was that TWO SOtM sNH-10G Network Switches were used.
These audiophile switches have got SFP sockets for optical transceivers.
So they were linked up in-series by a single-mode optical cable.
20190328_214706_2.jpg

The Cybershaft Limited OP20 has three 10M clock outputs so the two SOtM switches and one SOtM tx-USBultra were clocked/syned by it.

The effect is phenomenal!
Once we have heard the dual-switches config, nobody are willing to go back to single-switch config!

The sonic improvement was in every aspects but most importantly the background quietness.
Suddenly much much more could be heard and the sound becomes so natural.

I am not a tech guy but I speculate that the optical connection has isolated most if not all of the noise coming from the CAS components & home network.

The two SOtM switches and the tx-USBultra clocked/syned by the extremely accurate Cybershaft 10M clock may be acting as reclockers.
An analogy may be the tweak of cascading/stacking multiple Mutec MC3+ together (https://www.mutec-net.com/artikel.php?id=1388254422).

My friends and I also did the following comparison : One SOtM switch+Cybershaft Clock vs Two SOtM switches (no Cybershaft Clock).
We found that the latter performed better! The sound was more natural.

If I can get hold of more SOtM sNH-10G Switches, I will try using three or four of them together for sure!
But of course I expect the Law of Diminishing Returns will kick in.

Anyway I am confident to say that this Dual-SOtM Switches is currently the best CAS network setup I have ever encountered.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I highly recommend the SoTM switch *with the clock input*, provided, of course, your DAC has a clock sync output.
On the MSB, adding the switch by itself was good, but with the clock option, it was just remarkable.
It's now part of our reference set up, and we're now resellers for SoTM as well.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
I have seen a few black box switches (quite literally), but nothing with a custom PCB or even with an option to use with an external clock. Definitely on the list of things to try this year

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I have seen a few black box switches (quite literally), but nothing with a custom PCB or even with an option to use with an external clock. Definitely on the list of things to try this year

Pls make sure to select the 12V dc input version. The sound is slightly better.

There is an original SOtM "Evox capacitors + silver hookup wire" upgrade too.
Also not to be missed.
;)

jturbo

Jan 20, 2018
Lexington, KY
I wrote a thread about 3 months ago : The Best USB/Network Gadget Setup I have auditioned in 2018 : SOtM+Cybershaft+Uptone.
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...itioned-in-2018-sotm-cybershaft-uptone.27025/

It has been surpassed in just 3 months' time!
I listened to the following setup last night :

View attachment 49979

Most of the components used are the same : Cybershaft Limited2 OP20 10M clock, SOtM tx-USBultra usb conditioner, Habst 5N Silver Cryo clock cables & coaxial digital cables; Lessloss C-Marc Supercord with Firewall 64X module, Chord Blu2 for upscaling before entering a Chord DAVE dac ...etc
Please refer to my previous post.

The only difference was that TWO SOtM sNH-10G Network Switches were used.
These audiophile switches have got SFP sockets for optical transceivers.
So they were linked up in-series by a single-mode optical cable.
View attachment 49980

The Cybershaft Limited OP20 has three 10M clock outputs so the two SOtM switches and one SOtM tx-USBultra were clocked/syned by it.

The effect is phenomenal!
Once we have heard the dual-switches config, nobody are willing to go back to single-switch config!

The sonic improvement was in every aspects but most importantly the background quietness.
Suddenly much much more could be heard and the sound becomes so natural.

I am not a tech guy but I speculate that the optical connection has isolated most if not all of the noise coming from the CAS components & home network.

The two SOtM switches and the tx-USBultra clocked/syned by the extremely accurate Cybershaft 10M clock may be acting as reclockers.
An analogy may be the tweak of cascading/stacking multiple Mutec MC3+ together (https://www.mutec-net.com/artikel.php?id=1388254422).

My friends and I also did the following comparison : One SOtM switch+Cybershaft Clock vs Two SOtM switches (no Cybershaft Clock).
We found that the latter performed better! The sound was more natural.

If I can get hold of more SOtM sNH-10G Switches, I will try using three or four of them together for sure!
But of course I expect the Law of Diminishing Returns will kick in.

Anyway I am confident to say that this Dual-SOtM Switches is currently the best CAS network setup I have ever encountered.

CKKeung

Thanks for passing along all the digital discoveries that you are always finding.

Can you lay out all the connections in this layout? Im assuming that the server and router are ethernet and connexted to the sotm switch. However im not clear about where the usb and txusb ultra come into play as I dont think it has any network connection aside from USB

Question. I tend to be annoyed by these boxes as they all use various lps that take up space and create huge rat nests of extra power cords and need for vibration control as well.

Are you aware if any top shelf LPS that takes in a single AC supply but outputs maybe 2,3 or 4 voltage outputs to power the various boxes from a single source?

Thanks

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
I highly recommend the SoTM switch *with the clock input*, provided, of course, your DAC has a clock sync output.
On the MSB, adding the switch by itself was good, but with the clock option, it was just remarkable.
It's now part of our reference set up, and we're now resellers for SoTM as well.

Does MSB Select have clock output?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
CKKeung
Thanks for passing along all the digital discoveries that you are always finding.
Can you lay out all the connections in this layout? Im assuming that the server and router are ethernet and connexted to the sotm switch. However im not clear about where the usb and txusb ultra come into play as I dont think it has any network connection aside from USB
Question. I tend to be annoyed by these boxes as they all use various lps that take up space and create huge rat nests of extra power cords and need for vibration control as well.
Are you aware if any top shelf LPS that takes in a single AC supply but outputs maybe 2,3 or 4 voltage outputs to power the various boxes from a single source?
Thanks
Hello jturbo,
There are 2 computers in that system and can be either set up as HQPlayer HQ-NAA config or Roon Core-Endpoint config.
They are linked up by the SOtM switches.

The downstream computer outputs via usb to Uptone Audio IsoRegen then SOtM tx-USBultra before going to a Chord Blu2+DAVE combo.

There are some brands which make LPS with two dc outputs.
I particularly like the Keces P8 from Taiwan, Uptone JS2 and Clones Audio PowerStation Deluxe from Hong Kong.

In Hong Kong there is also a shop run by Kenneth Lau who makes very nice multi dc output LPS.

Reactions: owen lawlor

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Hello jturbo,
There are 2 computers in that system and can be either set up as HQPlayer HQ-NAA config or Roon Core-Endpoint config.

The downstream computer outputs via usb to Uptone Audio IsoRegen then SOtM tx-USBultra before going to a Chord Blu2+DAVE combo.

I particularly like the Keces P8 from Taiwan, Uptone JS2 and Clones Audio PowerStation Deluxe from Hong Kong.

In Hong Kong there is also a shop run by Kenneth Lau who makes very nice multi dc output LPS.

So with this combination of switches, USB reclockers, one do not need high end server like Extreme?

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014

Also not to be missed.
;)
I am also using the Sotm switch... have the 12 volt version but using an external Linear supply on it. Have been tempted to go dual switch but so happy already. Really good.

Reactions: CKKeung

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011

Also not to be missed.
;)

So u actually A/B'd the different voltage switches and the cap & silver wire upgrade???

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
So u actually A/B'd the different voltage switches and the cap & silver wire upgrade???
Yes.
Hong Kong is a compact city and.my audiophile friends and I have gatherings several times per month.
Each of us will bring hardware and software to enjoy and compare.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I can’t find in their website. Can you please let me know where in the website?
MSB-XLR-Input-Module-235px.jpg
MSB-SPDIF-RCA-toslink-Input-Module-235px.jpg
The above are the AES digital input module and Coaxial/toslink input module of MSB.
You can see that they have a bnc for clock signal output.

Both MSB Select Transport and Reference Transport have a bnc clock input.

Reactions: justubes

jturbo

Jan 20, 2018
Lexington, KY
Hello jturbo,

Thank You! , that makes perfect sense now.

Do you still prefer the 2 server setup vs the single server, ala Evo, Extreme or Memory Player route?
Or Maybe you are a 2x extreme server setup fan ...! :)

If one keeps adding clocks, switches, Cables, LPS, Footers and USB conditioners, then the Extreme or MP
become equal in cost at some point!

Again, I love that you are able to gather so much equipment for all this testing, very valuable!

jturbo

Jan 20, 2018
Lexington, KY
Wondering.

Seems like connecting the two servers direct fiber, or via fiber from each server to the SOTM Sw, would Isolate
and provide a simpler solution. Has anyone in the group played with this?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Wondering.
Seems like connecting the two servers direct fiber, or via fiber from each server to the SOTM Sw, would Isolate
and provide a simpler solution. Has anyone in the group played with this?
We did compare that aspect too.
In general if employing optical fibers directly to the server/endpoint, the sound is less musical than using a good ethernet cable auch as Vertere or Dalby Audio Meda.

However the reverse is true for the connection between the two switches.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing