SOtM sNH-10G Network Switches x2 : The NEW KING of USB/Network Gadget Setup

justubes

Aug 10, 2015
It cannot have an ending, that is in the audiophile world.

There will always be somthing new, something different to play with that's better.

There is a 500+ page thread in the AS forum on networking for some bedtime reading, especially for those suffering from insomia.

AND the thread it's still going strong, it just does'nt stop for a few years now.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
You cannot replace the router with a switch, unless yiubare using your router as a layer 2 device, i.e just for its switching capability.

What mods have you done to the router?

Faster output device with lower capacitance, lots of HF decoupling caps in the right places.

As a X2 switch, they are connected in series acting as a form or double reclocking or daisy chaining.

There is a diagram i came accross on Sotms site on using 2 swiches connected via fibre which is recommended for improved sonic results.

Hard to believe that reclocking is the main benefit. My renderer already has 10psec of jitter with no audiophile switch.

Why not just add it before or after your router to see if there are still any improvements.[/quote}

I plan to add it after the router. I already have one non-audiophile switch on the router.

However a router that is modded in its original casing, it cannot reach the level of the Sotm, well maybe if the router has been extensively operated on and likely is a totally new housing to accomodate all the hardware improvements and additions together witn reclocking components used in your reclocker

We will see this afternoon.

A highly properly modded switch i find, may be comparable to a base Sotm switch, but once a 10m reference comes into the picture with your favouritebaudiophile clock cable, it then leaves any modded switch in the dust.

I'll make sure to have the internal clock upgrade. Have you tried this?

I have not come across anyone doing so, it takes real estate to incorporate and akin to a heart transplant type surgery on the router, possibly you would be the first to be able to perform such on your router?

I don't believe I have the motivation to do this. Kamal wants some of my products, so I will probably horse-trade with him. I also make pretty good stuff he may sell on his website.

Steve N.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
When people are confused why I'm skeptical about streaming and don't have the foggiest what to do, and what all these boxes do...I point them to threads like this and say I don't even know the things that I don't know about computer audio.

Donald Rumsfeld's known unknowns and unknown unknowns come to mind.

Why can't we just plug an ethernet cable from the router out of the wall into ONE black box server and a USB cable into a dac? Why does it have to be as difficult as this thread?

Or am I as usual missing something obvious?

It can be as simple as you just described. I've set up plenty of systems that way.
By the same token, I don't "get" your fetish with footers. But that doesn't make me go on forums complaining "why do we need third-party footers with $XYZ products"? The short answer is: we don't. Same as you don't need the fancy switch with clock input. But if you want to venture, the option is there.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Not me Keith. Get yr facts right.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
After Kamal and I did some critical listening with the SOtM switch (with internal clock upgrade) after my modded router I have decided to keep the SOtM switch. A definite improvement. I experimented with my EMO isolator and short WW Platinum Ethernet cable and found an improvement if I used short cable to isolator to longer Platinum cable, all between the router and the SOtM switch. I use only the SOtM Ethernet cable with filter to my Ethernet DAC. This sounded best.

I suspect that if the OP used a short cable to EMO EN-70e isolator to a longer cable between the two switches he is using, this might improve things even more.

It's still not quite as good as my USB when using Amarra as the playback app, but it's much closer if I use Linn Kinsky/Minimserver/BubbleUPnP combo on my Mac Mini. My version of Amarra is an older one, not the latest because I like it better.

Next step is to mod the clock inside the SOtM switch to see if that improves things more. I suspect that the differences now may be between Kinsky/minimserver/BubbleUPnP and Amarra.

Steve N.

Tubeman66

Mar 31, 2019
Have someone actually compared this swirth with a Cisco layer 2 switch such as the 2960CX
to see what the real difference is

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Why can't we just plug an ethernet cable from the router out of the wall into ONE black box server and a USB cable into a dac? Why does it have to be as difficult as this thread?

We can. It's very doable. A reasonable streamer, a modest DAC and Roon is a huge and doable step towards enjoyable, unlimited music exploration. Once it grabs you, you may not surface again for a few months.

Reactions: asiufy

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
When people are confused why I'm skeptical about streaming and don't have the foggiest what to do, and what all these boxes do...I point them to threads like this and say I don't even know the things that I don't know about computer audio.

Donald Rumsfeld's known unknowns and unknown unknowns come to mind.

Obviously.....

jturbo

Jan 20, 2018
Lexington, KY
Have someone actually compared this swirth with a Cisco layer 2 switch such as the 2960CX
to see what the real difference is

I have a cisco 2960cx and 3560cg switch if you would like to try them to compare with the SOTM.
They would not be very common in home networks as they are usually purchased by companies.

They are very well built switches, so the test might be interesting.

Tubeman66

Mar 31, 2019
think it is as common as a Sotm switch for $ 1000

I have one 2960-8TC-L and one 2960G-24TC-L
with fiber between them

Tubeman66

Mar 31, 2019
would be nice if someone compared Sotm with a high quality switch,
and make an honest statement

they mostly compare it with a lot of low price home consumer switches

Reactions: jaynyc

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
[QUOTE="spiritofmusic, post: 566528, member: 4334"

Or am I as usual missing something obvious?[/QUOTE]

There are many one box plug and play solutions. The Room Nucleus is a good starter, plug and play. It boots up in 15 seconds as well! Ethernet cable in, USB out. Account at Room, Tidal or Qobuz. LPS if you want. Job done. Total 2K.
Small footprint, support from the big boys Room. What is not to like?

I ripped all my CDs 3 years ago. I do still buy CDs if I can't find the download. Interestingly CD is 16 bit 44.1, and many files on Qobuz are 24 bit, which in my system sounds better, no question. Tidal seems to have gone for MQA / 96K 16 bit files for some of there music. I think Qobuz as as good, possibly better on 24 bit 44.1 to my ears.
Short answer, get a turnkey router, and then the only task it to select some music!

I also create play lists, so have a selection of tracks into my own mix albums, Roon lets you do that really easily. And of course the Room interface is superb IMO. It displays detailed information on the album, many with the lyrics. And you also have the nice link feature, you can dig around for other material that that artist may have done with other artists, so a bit like looking round the biggest record store you can imagine, while you listen to your music, while sat in your favourite chair. Again, what is not to like?

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com

Tried that. The modded, Grounded DC-common Router sounded a LOT better, particularly powered from a fast LPS.

Then I tried the SOtM switch connected to the modded router. Even better, more live sounding. More blackness between instruments, better imaging.

Then I tried SOtM Ethernet cable with filter. Even better.

If you are not using a SOtM tx-USBUltra (with internal clock upgrade and LPS) in your USB cable, you are missing out on a lot. Makes an even bigger difference than all of the Ethernet stuff. This is the thing that makes USB top-tier, even direct from a computer.

Steve N.

Reactions: CKKeung

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
I don't understand the reasoning behind using something like the SOtM tx-USBUltra. What exactly does it do?

It reclocks the USB signal to reduce jitter.

Secondly, how does this differ from some of the more popular ethernet filters such as EMO systems EN-70 HD, which has been highly recommended?

Totally different thing. The EMO isolators (not filters) reduce capacitively coupled noise on Ethernet.

The USBUtra reduces jitter on USB cables.

BTW, I have tried the EMO EN-70hd and I liked the EN-70e a LOT better.

Steve N.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
This is all fascinating. But is there a real world prices switch / router that beats the standard Cisco stuff, and is build for audio? I have 200 meg optical into my house, and the entry box has ethernet ports out, so thinking I could fit an audio switch before the house wifi / ethernet router. And power it off a nice LPS, then ethernet to my music server.

Any recommendations? I am looking at 2K max for this box.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing