SOtM sNH-10G Network Switches x2 : The NEW KING of USB/Network Gadget Setup

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Bro ,, N&E AUDIO in HK also has a thing called the FIBER BOX II ,, if you have time you should check it out ! its pretty cool device ! and hope all is well in HK.
Bro ,, N&E AUDIO in HK also has a thing called the FIBER BOX II ,, if you have time you should check it out ! its pretty cool device ! and hope all is well in HK.
Hello Jackson,
I know Edison, the E of N&E Audio and their product of FiberBox for many years.
Other than the CAS products on N&E's website, Edison can tailor-make CAS gadgets for his customers.

The FiberBox is convenient but the much more expensive setup of clocked dual-SOtM switches is in another league very far away.
We get what we paid for.

Reactions: jackson_k

jackson_k

VIP/Donor
Jan 19, 2019
Los Angeles
Hello Jackson,
I know Edison, the E of N&E Audio and their product of FiberBox for many years.
Other than the CAS products on N&E's website, Edison can tailor-make CAS gadgets for his customers.

The FiberBox is convenient but the much more expensive setup of clocked dual-SOtM switches is in another league very far away.
We get what we paid for.
Brother,,, hope all is well,, I have a quick question between the two SOTM switch do we use SFP to connect the two SOTM together or ? ethernet cable, ?

1. ROUTER - > (FIBERBOX SFP +LPS) -> INTO SOTM +SFP -> 2ND SOTM , AND then use the 2nd SoTM to plug in all the devices.
2. ROUTER -> SOTM+SFP -> 2ND SOTM -> EQUIPENTS

*ALL SYNCED TO 10M CLOCK OF COURSE AND HI-END LPS

Which way is better ?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Brother,,, hope all is well,, I have a quick question between the two SOTM switch do we use SFP to connect the two SOTM together or ? ethernet cable, ?

1. ROUTER - > (FIBERBOX SFP +LPS) -> INTO SOTM +SFP -> 2ND SOTM , AND then use the 2nd SoTM to plug in all the devices.
2. ROUTER -> SOTM+SFP -> 2ND SOTM -> EQUIPENTS

*ALL SYNCED TO 10M CLOCK OF COURSE AND HI-END LPS

Which way is better ?
Hello Jackson,
The two SOtM switches are to be connected by optical transievers in their SFP sockets and an optical fiber.

jackson_k

VIP/Donor
Jan 19, 2019
Los Angeles
Hello Jackson,
The two SOtM switches are to be connected by optical transievers in their SFP sockets and an optical fiber.
Ok ! that's what I thought ! I will give that a try ,, right now I just have the one Switch, in Taiwan MY-HIEND.com also tried and find the dual SOTM switch to be a huge difference, but they are connecting it via ethernet between the two Switch ( in fact SOTM USA told me the same thing.. ) but I am pretty sure things like this ,, there are just many different ways to try : ) ,,,

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Tried dual-SOtM switches in another friend's system today.

20190622_103759~3.jpg

As expected, his CAS performance was much elevated, even though the two SOtM were not yet clocked.
:cool:

Reactions: onsionsi

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Tried dual-SOtM switches in another friend's system today.

View attachment 54245

As expected, his CAS performance was much elevated, even though the two SOtM were not yet clocked.
:cool:
During the visit, we compared the Le Son LS001 streaming dac to CH Precision C1.1 too.

20190622_101715~2.jpg

All the audiophiles at the gathering thought that the C1.1 was significantly better in most sonic aspects.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
I licensed the Hynes technology, so I put my own designs of Hynes-type regulators in every one of my products. My Overdrive SX DAC uses 22 of them. I use one of these fast LPS for my Mac Mini, Network Router, SOtM switch, my Power Block USB cable supply, SOtM USB regenerator, my Interchange renderer and my Off-Ramp 6 USB converter. I guess 7 in all. Most are two amps and the Mac Mini is 5 amps.

The mods are proprietary, but I may give some of this to Hynes so he can put it in his smaller supplies eventually.

Steve N.
Steve, why do you still use a Mac Mini? Can't you surpass it's performance via other routes/ servers? Or is it for experimentation. I ask as I am about to get a 432 Aeon server powered by 2 x XBoosters. My Mac Mini has the Uptone mod and is in 12V LPS.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Steve, why do you still use a Mac Mini? Can't you surpass it's performance via other routes/ servers? Or is it for experimentation. I ask as I am about to get a 432 Aeon server powered by 2 x XBoosters. My Mac Mini has the Uptone mod and is in 12V LPS.

I've used other servers at shows, including the excellent Antipodes with LPS. My Mini with modded Hynes supply and older, better version of Amarra is just as good. For Ethernet, it's a don't care and I use an app with even better SQ than Roon, Linn Kinsky.

Steve N.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
I've used other servers at shows, including the excellent Antipodes with LPS. My Mini with modded Hynes supply and older, better version of Amarra is just as good. For Ethernet, it's a don't care and I use an app with even better SQ than Roon, Linn Kinsky.

Steve N.
Thanks Steve. Interesting, I will test mine v the incoming 432 EVO. Have you tried the latest version of Roon? It is much better than older versions end 2018.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Thanks Steve. Interesting, I will test mine v the incoming 432 EVO. Have you tried the latest version of Roon? It is much better than older versions end 2018.

Tried it about 2 weeks ago. Same result. Sounds soft.

jackson_k

VIP/Donor
Jan 19, 2019
Los Angeles
Guys ! any good recommendations on the ETHERNET CABLES ?
I am currently using the AUDIOQEUST Diamond but want to see what is the better cable, :)

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Guys ! any good recommendations on the ETHERNET CABLES ?
I am currently using the AUDIOQEUST Diamond but want to see what is the better cable, :)
Vertere HB ethernet cable
Dalby Meda ethernet cable

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014

Steve N.
Can the Linn Kinsey app be used to control a Innuos server?

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Yes. Innuos has a built-in UPNP server. Just type "my.innuos.com" in your web browser, then locate your Innuos. Then Settings > Choose Server Integration and choose UPNP Streamers instead of the other options.

BUT, I don't recommend Kinsky at all. Linn has deprecated that software years ago, it's archaic at best. Beats me why Steve keeps recommending it, if even the manufacturer won't.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Vertere HB ethernet cable
Dalby Meda ethernet cable

Shunyata Alpha Ethernet
Shunyata Sigma Ethernet

Early reports on both from streaming audiophile friends on various forums who have recently tried them
report rave reviews....

Reactions: CKKeung

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Shunyata Alpha Ethernet
Shunyata Sigma Ethernet
Early reports on both from streaming audiophile friends on various forums who have recently tried them
report rave reviews....
Will try to borrow them and have an audition!
;)

justubes

Aug 10, 2015
Looks like every cable manufacturer is jumping the band wagon now adding ethernet cables.

This speaks for the growing market now unlike few years back, am guessing the Shunyata would compete with the Vertere sonics, possibly being on the warmer/softer side of the spectrum, going by Shunyata's sound signature.

Have added the 2nd Sotm switch with sclk-ex clocking my router. It's rather complicated and believe me, someone who knows networking will not be able to setup to get the whole network up and running and my purpose of adding it was to simplify my heavily clocked network.

So it goes something like this

Router(sclk-ex) > Dalby Meda cable > SNH(Ex/Mutec 10M) > Fibre > SNH(EX/Mutec 10M) > Dalby Meda cable > W20 (Mutec 10M) > Mutec MC3 (Mutec 10M) >D1x(Mutec 10M).

I excluded including my OCXO clocked Optical modem which in fact comes before the router as the Sotm Sclk-ex output failed to deliver a strong enough signal to enable the unit to be centrally clocked.

My Mutec 10M's clock output has all eight outputs maxed out.

So every single digital device stream has been clocked.

It was very very good, but what made the quantum change was the addition of the Dalby Meda cable after the router made my jaw literally drop!

Possibly the extent that i would rate the improvement is worthy of an investment of 4X which i would have been compelled to spend over the cost of the last cable!

Reports of improvements of 2 Sotm switches are exactly what other have described, Fantastic! I hear the difference with it being 10M clocked and however good it was alone, i will only accept it with a 10M reference.

My first test was Sotm switch > Dalby Meda Cable > Sotm switch and the improvement was undeniable, but i have it via fibre to replace my OCXO clocked Fibre converter.

I have gone through at least 10 OCXO clocked switches and fibre converters, all were really good too, slowly tweaked over the past years with low noise regulation in its circuits with fantastic results.

Through my journey, the network was messy, have 2 different voltage supplies to each Fibre converter as the OCXO clock required a separate supply from the main unit. Now, another equally big improvement via the 2 Sotm switches.

As every little bit of synergy is required, i was not expecting the last cable addition to make such a large improvement.

Networking improvement are just so critical and the improvements, incredible!

I guess i am finished now.., the forthcoming Uptone switch is interesting and very tempting to have a try, well, lets see.

PS. There is clearly so much more inner detail now, coming from using just a very good ethernet cable before the switches to a great one.

Not until today, i would always said the last ethernet cable was the most obvious and important, always believed using decent to good ones before was sufficient for a notable change, but never drastic.

Now, the first ethernet cable before switches/ fibre connections (however many in series) becomes equally and eventually became the most important cable providing dramatic change for me.

A Wireworld Platinum was replaced.

Last edited:
Reactions: jackson_k

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
So it goes something like this

Router(sclk-ex) > Dalby Meda cable > SNH(Ex/Mutec 10M) > Fibre > SNH(EX/Mutec 10M) > Dalby Meda cable > W20 (Mutec 10M) > Mutec MC3 (Mutec 10M) >D1x(Mutec 10M).

Could you please let me know what is D1 in here ?
Is it Totaldac D1 .
Best

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing