SOtM sNH-10G Network Switches x2 : The NEW KING of USB/Network Gadget Setup

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Let's start the report.

The testing done last night was complicated, because of so many components in so many diff configs!
Here are the equipment used :

The new Cybershaft OP21A 10M clock. It has four 10M clock outputs.
20191205_210303~4a~2.jpg

Two EtherRegens and two SOtM switches (the top model with all upgrade options onboard) were used in single or dual configs..

ER1 in front of the OP21A :
20191205_210309~2a.jpg

ER2 on top level of the rack, behind the Cello Suite preamp :
20191205_211030~2a.jpg

SOtM1 on a lower rack level, with a tx-USBultra in front of it :
20191205_210710~2a.jpg

SOtM2 was placed on top of the Cello Suite :
20191205_222211~2a.jpg

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
We tried not to use too expensive ethernet cables.
Mostly Supra cat8 ethernet cables.
Near the end of the gathering we added in a Vertere HB ethernet cable.

20191205_215533~2a.jpg

There were two diy desktops which could be used as Roon core/endpoint or HQPlayer HQ/NAA format.

The downstream desktop sent the usb digital signal to a SOtM tx-USBultea processor before going into a Denafrips Terminator DAC (with the new usb reception board).

The switches were either in single or dual configs to connect the two diy desktops.

The house internet and a NAS storing the music files were plugged into the upstream switch.

The main music file used for the testing was the following cello concerto :
71GKGw3oEIL._SS500_.jpg

Last edited:

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
We were busy the whole night last night.
Here is the most important summary of the results :

1. ER is an over-achiever for sure. And it is better than all audiophile switches below or at around its price.

2. However there was no miracle. All attendees of the gathering, including me myself thought that the SOtM switch was still significantly better. This was not unexpected, because the SOtM was several times more expensive.

3. Single SOtM was better than a single ER (no matter unclocked or clocked).

4. For dual switch format, the sonic performance was SOtMx2 > SOtM to ER > ERx2 (no matter unclocked or clocked).
Actually we didn't like ERx2.

5. For the "SOtM to ER" config, connecting the two switches by optical fiber gave a mediocre and clinical sound. Using a Supra cat8 ethernet cable was better. Using a Vertere HB ethernet cable was much much better! Using optical fiber to connect two switches could give good sound only for SOtMx2.

6. Although Uptone claims that ER can be used with the included switching psu satisfactorily, we DON'T think so. Please give them a LPS.

Last edited:

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
7. Near the end of the gathering when all of us were tired and wanted to go home, we were listening to a SOtMx2 connected with optical fiber.

I suggested to test a last tweak : to replace a cheap ethernet cable which was connecting the music file NAS to the SOtM1 with a Vertere HB ethernet cable.

All the attendees were wakened up by the sudden surge/improvement of sound quality. The Vertere gave the music back much richness and musicality!

This was a surprise, telling us that every steps/components in the network pathway did matter!

Do you think that making a CAS system to sound good is more difficult than to do so for a LP playback system? Haha
:p

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
Hi CK,
Thank you for the wonderful review to you and the guys. Thanks for taking the time too.
(Using optical fiber to connect two switches could give good sound only for SOtMx2. )
May I know what you mean by this statement? Is that only SOtM x 2 can sound better. No point in using 2 ER optically connected?
I am thinking of getting another SOtM switch to connect them together but using ethernet cables (Tellurium Silver Diamond or SOtM ethernet).

Thank you CK once again.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Great review here, good work CK!

I am distributor for SOtM in Spain, so anyone wanting this amazing switch, let me know. I already knew it was outstanding, it should get more attention for it IMO.

Reactions: Abyss Man

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Thanks so much for the review. Right now I am only using an ER and don't plan to get a SoTM due to the cost but this is great information.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Emile do you mean that the EtherRegen port B is only 100 Mb?

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Interesting question, but that at the moment has no comparative answer, since as stated by Alex, this chips is only manufactured in 100 Mb, so we can not know if the output of B at 1Gb would be better.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Interesting question, but that at the moment has no comparative answer, since as stated by Alex, this chips is only manufactured in 100 Mb, so we can not know if the output of B at 1Gb would be better.

A lot of endpoints operate at 100Mb, so it may also not have been a design priority from that pov.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
If I understood correctly what Alex published, both he and John specifically wanted that chip, for its specifications. They declare that it is a very special chip and of course I don't have to doubt it.

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
7. Near the end of the gathering when all of us were tired and wanted to go home, we were listening to a SOtMx2 connected with optical fiber.

I suggested to test a last tweak : to replace a cheap ethernet cable which was connecting the music file NAS to the SOtM1 with a Vertere HB ethernet cable.

All the attendees were wakened up by the sudden surge/improvement of sound quality. The Vertere gave the music back much richness and musicality!

This was a surprise, telling us that every steps/components in the network pathway did matter!

Do you think that making a CAS system to sound good is more difficult than to do so for a LP playback system? Haha
:p
Does the SOtM switch run as warm as the EtherRegen?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

yah1233

Oct 4, 2019
I like tests, too.
I currently own a lot of network switching hubs.
This is my personal opinion of the switching hub that I recently tested.

1. SOTM sNH-10G (including sCLK-EX)
The sound is heavy.
The low-pitched expression is very good.
Complete reference of audio-level switchihg hub

IMG_6449.JPG

2. Uptone otherREGEN
Good expression of weak sounds (music is sweet)
There is a pleasure to listen to music even in small volumes.
However, the quality of sound is poor when used for a long time due to the high heat.
(The problem seems to arise as the case follows the unique design of the uptone.
I think it would be much better if I tuned the case out loud.)

IMG_6450.JPG

3. Telegartner M2 GOLD
Very disappointed to hear the sound of purchase.
Originally born for industrial use, it is not audio-level.
if you want to buy it, you should do it after the test.

IMG_6451.JPG

4. GigaFOILv4 (but not a switching hub)
Connecting to the end of the SOTM sNH-10G and using it on my DIY PC.
The background is getting very dark. The noise disappears completely.
It's also industrial, but it's much more audio grade than Telegartner M2 GOLD.
I highly recommend.

And a different story.
Until the day before yesterday, I used Ch Precision t1.
I got OP21 from Cybershaft yesterday and am using it for my DAC, dCS Vivaldi Clock, SToM, and Uptone.
The purchase amount is less than one-third (including tax) of CH Precision t1, but is very good.

IMG_6447.JPG

IMG_6448.JPG

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing