Soulnote E-2 phonostage

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
It can blow my speakers..
yeah, hifi live is dangerous :)

anyhow, you should always switch inputs with lowered volume on you preamp, otherwise you can blow your speakers as well.

Difference between MM and MC is 20db gain.

So with lowered gain on your Preamp while switching, you will not harm your speakers at all.

Impedance switch and MM / MC switch are different switches.

Reactions: Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II

Jan 23, 2022
yeah, hifi live is dangerous :)

anyhow, you should always switch inputs with lowered volume on you preamp, otherwise you can blow your speakers as well.

Difference between MM and MC is 20db gain.

So with lowered gain on your Preamp while switching, you will not harm your speakers at all.

Impedance switch and MM / MC switch are different switches.
Well, if you use "Gain Low" it is 30db..
I understand that with being carful bad things can be avoided, but sometimes you can just forget things... ))
I also planned to have phono pre for 4 arm TT to be a little far from a main pre..
Some "functionally" similar phono pre (Gold Note PH-1000, Violectric 790, even much less pricey Musical Fidelity) all "remember" settings for every input. Now, they do not have some functionality of E-2 (optical support, super flexible EQ curve) - but this one they all feel important.. Darn, Soulnote looked like a perfect solution for my second TT, now I am not so sure..

Hayabusa

May 10, 2018
Hi Old Zorki 11. Not sure if you are still looking but I have had a Soulnote E2 since it first came out. I use MM, MC and Optical inputs. It’s a wonderful phono stage. Very flexible and well engineered and excellent performance. You can switch silently between any of the four inputs as well as loading settings without having to mute but you can mute if you want total peace of mind. All settings are remembered for each input when powered down so you don’t have to change or remember anything. In my opinion optimal performance for MC is via the balanced(XLR) inputs(via Furutech V1-T phono cable in my system). This input is a couple of notches better than via the RCA’s. Best value phono stage on the market IMO given its functionality and sound quality.

Attachments

• BC5F506D-42DA-4527-9A1F-1AAC98836119.jpeg
    BC5F506D-42DA-4527-9A1F-1AAC98836119.jpeg
    685.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 890DC213-4CE0-4E1F-8EC2-CD08F0FD9478.jpeg
    890DC213-4CE0-4E1F-8EC2-CD08F0FD9478.jpeg
    676.7 KB · Views: 8

Old Zorki II

Jan 23, 2022
Thank you! Remembering settings is very important, this is why another comment made me wonder.. I read recent review with some measurements (it did not mention operations), it got immense overload margins (which is great).. I did no want to be in situations when I forgot to change settings and switched from Koetsu Verm to MM cart ))) and blow my amp, speakers (and my ears).
I am planning new (second) multi arm table, and E-2 just moved to the forefront.. Considering great sound quality and huge bonus of optical input (I do not have DS Audio cartridge in my collection, but I will! )) this is a real gem.. Remote control will be a touch better, but I can live without..

Last edited:

Rdk777

Jul 9, 2019
Hi Old Zorki 11. Not sure if you are still looking but I have had a Soulnote E2 since it first came out. I use MM, MC and Optical inputs. It’s a wonderful phono stage. Very flexible and well engineered and excellent performance. You can switch silently between any of the four inputs as well as loading settings without having to mute but you can mute if you want total peace of mind. All settings are remembered for each input when powered down so you don’t have to change or remember anything. In my opinion optimal performance for MC is via the balanced(XLR) inputs(via Furutech V1-T phono cable in my system). This input is a couple of notches better than via the RCA’s. Best value phono stage on the market IMO given its functionality and sound quality.
Hi Hayabusa

I've had my E2 for close to a year now and I'm primarily using the unbalanced inputs as MM for two of my tonearms (using SUT's). I did try the balanced input using RCA and did not like it as much as there was some hiss at louder volumes during deadtracks using a 0.3 mV output cartridge. From what you're saying, it seems that using XLRs in the balanced input provides additional gain/sound quality. What tonearm and cartridge are you using?

Thanks

RK

Old Zorki II

Jan 23, 2022
Hi Hayabusa

I've had my E2 for close to a year now and I'm primarily using the unbalanced inputs as MM for two of my tonearms (using SUT's). I did try the balanced input using RCA and did not like it as much as there was some hiss at louder volumes during deadtracks using a 0.3 mV output cartridge. From what you're saying, it seems that using XLRs in the balanced input provides additional gain/sound quality. What tonearm and cartridge are you using?

Thanks

RK
I cannot answer the question, but just to clarify - how do you use Balanced input - via some type of RCA->XLR adapters? I think (and may be corrected) than balanced input on this phono pre (like on some others) is for true balanced XLR phono wire (DIN->XLR or similar).

Hayabusa

May 10, 2018
Hi Old Zorki 11 and Rdk777,

Using XLR balanced is definitely the way to go for MC. I have experienced no hiss, however even with the with the rca connections at maximum gain but I do not use a very low output MC. I currently have a Sumiko Pearwood Celebration 11 and that is 0.5mV output. Please note I use balanced out from the E2 to my Luxman 509x integrated.

I have a DS Audio W3 in a Moerch DP8(blue dot wand) in a Clearaudio Innovation with Smart Power 24V power supply. I use a red dot for the Pearwood. The W3 is a very impressive cartridge. Dynamic and highly resolving. Glare free and very quiet as are all DS Audio cartridges. Highly recommended!

My second turntable is a Technics Sp10 Mk3 and I plan on getting a 10” Origin Live Enterprise(they are doing a 10” special) and I will put the W3 on that and get another MC for a second DP8 I have. Currently I use a Technics EPA100 mk1 running Clearaudio Virtuoso wood and Charisma MM cartridges.

FYI for the rest of the system I have concentrated on power quality and interconnects to maximise, as I see it anyway, the performance of my electronics so I put them first in my equipment list.

Power Conditioning- Synergistic Research Powercell SX
Power cables - Furutech Nanoflux NCF
Speaker Cables - Furutech Nanoflux
Interconnects - Audioquest XLR WEL Signature

Phono Cables:
Furutech Project V1-T XLR
Furutech Silver Arrows 2
Audioquest WEL Signature RCA

Speakers - Audio Physic Cardeas Plus
Amplifier - Luxman 509X Integrated
Turntables - Clearaudio Innovation with Smart Power 24V PS/ Technics SP10 Mk3 with original plinth/Isoacoustics footers/Artisan Fidelity copper mat
Phono Stage - SoulNote E2
Digital - dCS Puccini/UClock
SGR stands
Stillpoints Aperture and Vicoustic room treatment
Clearaudio Double Matrix record cleaning machine

Hayabusa

May 10, 2018
I cannot answer the question, but just to clarify - how do you use Balanced input - via some type of RCA->XLR adapters? I think (and may be corrected) than balanced input on this phono pre (like on some others) is for true balanced XLR phono wire (DIN->XLR or similar).
Yes that is correct. I use DIN to XLR with correct pin 2 +ve terminations and SoulNote asks that you do not use adapters for RCA’s for this input and I have not tried them. I tried the RCA cables on the “balanced” input SoulNote provides but could tell no difference from the regular inputs 1&2. Using XLR’s the sound is immediately superior in every way even with a cable that is not run in. The Furutech Project V1-T is the best cable I have though so what is the cable and what is the XLR component to the better sound is difficult to say. For that I would have to use identical cables with different terminations. Reviews suggest, however that the XLR termination is superior. The same is true evidently with the C47 Accuphase phono also but again I have not heard this myself.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing