Sound generator with other speakers

iansr

Dec 27, 2010
From reading a little about the new Gina system it seems that it comprises: the Gina mains, multiple subs and a Sound Generator (SG). I’m familiar with the multiple subs approach and so it’s the SG that intrigues me. ( I assume it is the source of the second stream that you refer to in the other threads.) In particular I’m wondering whether it would work with other mains speakers? If so, how difficult would it be to calibrate the SG so that it would appropriately complement the mains? I’m assuming here that the mains would not be dipoles.

Reactions: Duke LeJeune

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
Actually we call it a "Space Generator", and yes its role is to make a major contribution to that second, reverberant stream of sound.

In particular I’m wondering whether it would work with other mains speakers?

As currently configured for use with my own main speakers, probably not. But at some point I expect to introduce a general-purpose Space Generator which should work well with a usefully wide range of speakers.

If so, how difficult would it be to calibrate the SG so that it would appropriately complement the mains?

Excellent question!

The future general-purpose Space Generator will need quite a bit more adjustability than what I'm currently employing, as thus far I have known in advance what the off-axis characteristics of the main speakers (my own) are. Providing sufficient adjustability to get a good blend with a fairly wide range of mains will probably be the biggest challenge.

I’m assuming here that the mains would not be dipoles.

Yes, in general I would expect dipoles to already have plenty of second-stream (reverberant) energy, and ime too much can degrade clarity.

If you don't mind, what main speakers are you thinking of?

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing