Sound Quality of new roon versions (builds)

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
So, after updating my Roon Core and other devices running Roon Remote, I get the following Diagnostics data for Roon Support message regarding Roon ARC:

{
"connectivity": {"status":"NetworkError","status_code":504,"error":"error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined"},
"external_ip": {"actual_external_ip":"76.169.73.200","router_external_ip":null},
"natpmp_autoconfig": {"status":"NotFound"},
"upnp_autoconfig": {"status":"NotFound"}
}

Ever since I opened Pandora's Box of Networking and Streaming, I feel like I've become a self-trained IT Manager. This was never a goal of mine. LOL

Mostly, I just find the gobbledygook above amusing. I have no interest in troubleshooting it.

Reactions: ihmeyers

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Well if you ever want to figure it out just click on the "more info" from the Roon ARC screen.

Reactions: Gjo

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I wasn't going to update from 1.8 to 2.0 as I have no need for ARC as I don't listen to music outside of my home. (unless it's Live). I then messed up yesterday and inadvertently hit the update button on my iPad and ended up with 2.0m of the Roon app. When I tried to control Roon the message popped up that since I had 2.0 of the app I would have to update Core to 2.0.

I then performed the update of my Core without any issues and also updated the app for my MacBook Pro which I used in lieu if the iPad. Absolutely no issue. The sound is as least as good as before and the laptop control does seem faster though I continue to mainly use the iPad do perform most tasks.

Still have no need for the ARC app so I won't be adding that.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
My iPhone updated the app of its own accord (darn you Siri) so I was going to hold off but was forced then to go to 2.0 for Roon core.

It’s not far off what it was but a bit more tipped up and more forward. It’s not terrible but for me a small step backwards so a shade not as good. My world won’t end though as the horns with SET already makes good music easily accessible.

I may start to consider a plan B even though overall my system sounds pretty good. Might save Roon via the antipodes for the Harbeths 40.2 and consider going a different direction with the horns setup.

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
It’s not far off what it was but a bit more tipped up and more forward. It’s not terrible but for me a small step backwards so a shade not as good. My world won’t end though as the horns with SET already makes good music easily accessible.
Is this for raat 2.0 vs. raat 1.8?

Or roon 2.0 with squeezelite vs. roon 1.8 with squeezelite?

I sincerely hope the first one :eek:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Is this for raat 2.0 vs. raat 1.8?

Or roon 2.0 with squeezelite vs. roon 1.8 with squeezelite?

I sincerely hope the first one :eek:
Roon 2.0 with squeezelite vs 1.8 with squeezelite Christoph… not even bothering trying via raat

it’s flattened out a bit and the tonal balance has just tilted up after it was actually good before. Nothing major but just not better for me at any rate.

• Wow
Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Roon 2.0 with squeezelite vs 1.8 with squeezelite Christoph… not even bothering trying via raat

it’s flattened out a bit and the tonal balance has just tilted up after it was actually good before. Nothing major but just not better for me at any rate.
Oh my...
Not the answer I wanted to hear :oops:
1.8 stays for me, then :rolleyes:

Reactions: the sound of Tao

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Oh my...
Not the answer I wanted to hear :oops:
1.8 stays for me, then :rolleyes:
I guess for some systems the tilt up in tonal balance works but my system was already at what I felt was a good balanced position in tone so now it’s just top heavy and a bit detail emphatic and definitely more forward overall. Also I guess that in other servers and also through other setups and not through squeezlite 2.0 might be a different proposition altogether. If you can save a legacy version of 1.8 that would be ideal. Just too late for me to get that done unfortunately.

Last edited:

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
FYI and IME there is no tilt up in tonal balance....if anything it is more detailed and delicate...
No shift in tonal balance here either.

Reactions: Charlie B.

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
Also I guess that in other servers and also through other setups and not through squeezlite 2.0 might be a different proposition altogether.
It may well be the server and what precedes it that influences the sound. And then we have our preferences. For example, I've read about Roon sounding slow (transient response) but with my server/Roon core it is anything but slow, at least to my ears. I would have to hear Roon in a setup that sounds slow in order to understand what that means to that listener. The really are too many variables to make generalizations.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I guess for some systems the tilt up in tonal balance works but my system was already at what I felt was a good balanced position in tone so now it’s just top heavy and a bit detail emphatic and definitely more forward overall. Also I guess that in other servers and also through other setups and not through squeezlite 2.0 might be a different proposition altogether. If you can save a legacy version of 1.8 that would be ideal. Just too late for me to get that done unfortunately.
Could you please compare 2.0 squeezelite to 2.0 raat?

To me, 1.8 raat just sounds flat, lifeless, a little edgy and simply boring compared to 1.8 squeezelite which has a liquidity to the sound, more like a real event

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Could you please compare 2.0 squeezelite to 2.0 raat?

To me, 1.8 raat just sounds flat, lifeless, a little edgy and simply boring compared to 1.8 squeezelite which has a liquidity to the sound, more like a real event
Well this has been a good turnaround Christoph, I also preferred 1.8 Squeezelite over the later 1.8 iterations via raat (though not the early 1.8 releases) … 2.0 squeezelite is what I was describing as dimensionally more flattened and a touch emphatic or even strident… not terrible but just not as good 1.8 squeezlite.

The good news is 2.0 raat is sounding better than both squeezelite versions again. More depth and good tonal balance and musically involving again. Glad you asked me to check it out. Thank heavens the stars are aligned back in their right place again. Here’s hoping they’ll just leave it be for a while :rolleyes:

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Well this has been a good turnaround Christoph, I also preferred 1.8 Squeezelite over the later 1.8 iterations via raat (though not the early 1.8 releases) … 2.0 squeezelite is what I was describing as dimensionally more flattened and a touch emphatic or even strident… not terrible but just not as good 1.8 squeezlite.

The good news is 2.0 raat is sounding better than both squeezelite versions again. More depth and good tonal balance and musically involving again. Glad you asked me to check it out. Thank heavens the stars are aligned back in their right place again. Here’s hoping they’ll just leave it be for a while :rolleyes:
Wow :eek:
That would be very cool.
So I really have to try 2.0 raat on it's own? :oops:
Thanks for comparing and reporting

Reactions: the sound of Tao

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I tried reverting to Roon 1.8 legacy which took me down a rabbits hole that I couldn’t really get to work before I returned to Roon 2.0 and after your prompting I’ve now settled on 2.0 raat… I’m glad it’s where I’ve ended up though as the prospect of hanging out on an unsupported legacy version is not that attractive and one where you’re likely living on borrowed time at any rate. Uncertainty seems to be the continuing theme of this current age and contemporary life.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Wow :eek:
That would be very cool.
So I really have to try 2.0 raat on it's own? :oops:
Thanks for comparing and reporting

Please update after discovering if 2.0 is passable in your bathroom system. :p

If you can save a legacy version of 1.8 that would be ideal. Just too late for me to get that done unfortunately.

This is a valuable remark. Not sure if it is possible given how the program is structured. At least not in ways I'd openly divest.

Though I appreciate that digital is still in a period of active improvement. I remain confused by how many here pursue active use of a program that changes so often. There appears to be no systematic regularity.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Please update after discovering if 2.0 is passable in your bathroom system. :p
Two things:
- The core will be the same for all the systems
- I don't have a bathroom system
:D

Reactions: rando

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing