Sources for blank reel tapes

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Well, I am down to the last 3 virgin Maxell XL I & II reels I amassed in the 1980s, and they have been exceptionally preserved, and sound as such. Some years ago I bought a few 456, but they are not as good.

So what does one buy these days, and from where? And which ones would require me to re-bias the deck?

Thanks

-ack

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
You can go through Full Compass, or actually order direct from Don Morris. He used to be the North American Distributor.

sunan

Jun 7, 2015
People are reporting that tape coming from full compass are either used or older bath numbers. Full compass and Splicit are no longer direct dealers. Better to buy from a RTM dealer since you are guaranteed to get fresh new batches only from them.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Depends on the tape you want. If you want the new Capture tapes, then Splicit is the only game in town. If you want ATR tapes, then there are some dealers. I use Lunchbox Audio in the Seattle area. Free shipping for orders over $100. RTM has redone their dealers, so some of the older dealers have to go around their distribution system to get their stock. My long time favorite Splicit can still get RTM, but are not an official dealer. Lunchbox is. I alternate between them depending on what they have in stock and how fast I need the tape.

Larry

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Depends on the tape you want. If you want the new Capture tapes, then Splicit is the only game in town. If you want ATR tapes, then there are some dealers. I use Lunchbox Audio in the Seattle area. Free shipping for orders over $100. RTM has redone their dealers, so some of the older dealers have to go around their distribution system to get their stock. My long time favorite Splicit can still get RTM, but are not an official dealer. Lunchbox is. I alternate between them depending on what they have in stock and how fast I need the tape.

Larry

I'm not familiar with the Revox B77 biasing. I am guessing that the newer high bias tapes may need adjustment. They would include RTM SM900 and ATR Master. Maybe more. Others may know.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
People are reporting that tape coming from full compass are either used or older bath numbers.

This is incorrect. Just got a brand new batch, with new redesigned boxes from Full Compass a few weeks ago.

IMG_0763.JPG

Last edited:

sunan

Jun 7, 2015
This is good to know. There were reports from other buyers on another forum complaining about older batch numbers. Batch numbers starting with 8 are current.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Back to this thread... Just ordered a few RTM SM-900 1/4" 2500 from lunchbox (thanks Larry), which appear to be one of the few who also provide a box,which I need, though granted I could get boxes from many places. I'm used to using 3600ft tapes which fit most symphonies with room to spare, and hopefully 2500 will be just long enough.

Thanks for everyone's comments!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing