Sources for documentation/reading material/restoring/updating Vintage 16" transcription idlers?

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
I may well have found a 16" vintage idler, and RCA70a, 120V 60Hz which will have me sort the power issue as one of the first step after cleaning the motor and bearings and re-lubing them. Now I am looking for good sources to read up on the various ways to use that beast in a 230V 50Hz environment

Given the recent data on use of solar power for audio elsewhere on this Forum it seems that a 120V 60Hz inverter may be an (fairly easy) option?
(simply convert 230V into whatever goes into the inverter probably 40 or so Volts DC and feed that to the inverter)

Other than that I'm sure there is loads of chores to do to revamp it, as it likely originates back to the '30-ies. Happy read up at whatever links you can post!

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
edit, direct drive of course....

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi Marcel,

There are some off the peg regeneration type products that could do this job for you from Jaap in NL or Longdog Audio in U.K.

Reactions: MarcelNL

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

If you email they can do 60hz output.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
ROFL, yesterday I visited my best friend, and we went to pick up his Gates 16"Idler, guess where he had it checked and refurbished?

Jaap...so we met and had a nice afternoon in Turntable Valhalla...think I know where to go when I run into issues with the RCA 70-A when I can start the rebuild...

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
ROFL, yesterday I visited my best friend, and we went to pick up his Gates 16"Idler, guess where he had it checked and refurbished?

Jaap...so we met and had a nice afternoon in Turntable Valhalla...think I know where to go when I run into issues with the RCA 70-A when I can start the rebuild...

Hi Marcel,

This is very interesting to me especially since I have a 16” Gates idler sat here awaiting updates. I was considering the Jaap supply too. Did you get to hear his Gates and with what arm / cart?

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
No auditioning, no arm and no cart...we looked at the vibration graphs of the motor with and without the power supply. My mate has a whole list of 16" TT waiting to happen, but is reconsidering his (pretty amazing) stock of audio rarities so he may pick one of the others to fully deck out now he is narrowing down is stash.

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
from what I saw and know of TT is what Jaap does pretty much on a separate league. I have avoided TT until recently so my judgment probably means little, what I saw was a boatload of exotic vintage gear looking better than new and someone knowing what makes a TT sing in every detail. Not sure how common it is to tweak individual phases of a supply while measuring noise to silence a motor, but it was pretty convincing to me!

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
from what I saw and know of TT is what Jaap does pretty much on a separate league. I have avoided TT until recently so my judgment probably means little, what I saw was a boatload of exotic vintage gear looking better than new and someone knowing what makes a TT sing in every detail. Not sure how common it is to tweak individual phases of a supply while measuring noise to silence a motor, but it was pretty convincing to me!

My friend, Leif, of this forum uses Jaap’s stuff and highly recommends too.

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
Hello Everyone,

Could any of you provide a poor fellow like me some clarification? I see some people referencing Jaap. Is this the same outfit as Hanze? If not could someone provide a link to more information?

…. Thanks in advance

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
Hello Everyone,

Could any of you provide a poor fellow like me some clarification? I see some people referencing Jaap. Is this the same outfit as Hanze? If not could someone provide a link to more information?

…. Thanks in advance
I have no clue who is what or why as I'm newer than new to the whole analog thingy, what i do know is that Jaap was/is.may have been involved in Hanze Hifi as the product shown looks very similar!

Go figure, I was talking with Hyun Lee from Tedeska thinking he was a very gifted hobbyist, turns out he is playing the premier league.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hello Everyone,

…. Thanks in advance

Yes he is with Hanze Hifi.

Reactions: Ovenmitt

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing