Southern California | Earthquakes

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Last edited:

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
At least they are occurring in the desert. I hope I die of old age before one hits in a populated area.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Steve, that looks serious.

On the BC coast we also had some serious ones today and yesterday, couple 6.2 magnitude ones.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/earthquakes-bc-canada-1.5201165

Also, I have no clue if related to our recent earthquakes here as well but three times in the last two days I felt the earth slightly shaking accompanied by sound of thunder...few seconds each time.

But we are used to those, like you guys. No waves in my bathtub, and the fixtures I did not see moving.
My speakers are spiked to the floor for good safe measure.

Last edited:

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
We felt it here in Phoenix and it even registered on a seismograph in New York. We will know more in the daylight. My wife is in Southern California right now pretty shaken up, she hates them with a passion.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Here in San Diego I didn't feel the one yesterday at all (but a friend up on the 23rd floor sure did), but this one tonight I did.
Indeed, this one today seemed to go on forever. Apparently two different ones, close together.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Haven't felt either of them in Pleasanton. However, at the time it happened, my house made a loud 'pop' noise from something that didn't like it.

We always drove by that area when I was in school at UCLA to go to Mammoth for skiing. The scenery is beautiful in a scary, volcanic sort of way. I wonder if there is a magma chamber down there looking for a way out.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Is it purely coincidental?
https://globalnews.ca/news/5467491/bc-earthquake-risk-southern-california/

I first asked that question to myself on July 4th.
No they said, the Canadian Pacific west coast is just too far from Southern California.
The earth shaking cannot transfer tremors that far.
The scientists must know. Still, the coincidence is captivating, very.

Those earthquakes on the Canadian west coast; this is my backyard...I've been to all those places including near the spots on the ocean. It was part of my job.

It is interesting because it all started very actively on July 4th...both in Southern California and on the Canadian Pacific West coast.

Since the 4th, over 5,000+ aftershocks so far; that's just in California.
That 7.1 Mag of yesterday was felt as far as Mexico.

It'll take a while to check all the structures...bridges, skyscrapers, residential building foundations, roads, etc., etc., etc. ...Plus all undergound power lines, delicate materials, fragile architectural pieces, ...anything and everything that could become security issues eventually...sink holes, explosions of gas lines, buildings collapsing, fires, etc. Looks good right now on the surface but what we don't see is what could become hazardous and dangerous. Inspections would need to be performed meticulously. And you don't want any nuclear reactors build in any earthquake prone environment, no sir.

Check your electrical power grid, just to make sure, and keep listening to that sweet music from your hi-fi stereo system. Audiophiles are people who also play safe, in particular those sensitive tubes under shaking stress, plus the turntable's vibrations that can set the azimuth out of wack and the cartridge's adjustments off.
What about the laser disc transports with sensitive mechanisms?
Earthquakes cannot be good for audio electronics and hi-end audio gear.
Same for video equipment; TVs falling from their base supports, tables and wall's hanging brackets. Check your wire end connectors to make sure they're not loose.

You might laugh but if you leave close enough to a 7.1 Mag people are not laughing @ all.
If an earthquake happens in the hot summer dry season it can spark devastating fires with tremendous lost of building structures, and lives.

Can earthquakes be attributed to man-made climate change? ...Like from fracking for example.
In Alberta and in British Columbia, Canada ... it's certainly part of it.
In the USA I have zero clue. What about oil drilling rigs @ sea? What do they know the scientists, and who truly wants to listen?

Anyway, earthquakes and volcanoes are part of America west coast.
It's a fragile ecosystem that deserves caution and respect.
That last bit tsunami in Japan is going to be studied for the next hundred years.
By the time they are done with the scientific studies hopefully we're not all gone already.

Our planet is fragile, very. ...And so are all the people living on top of its surface.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

Just click ^ on it.

Click on it ^

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing