Speaker cable comparison

Hilroy48

Sep 15, 2021
Regina Sk Canada
I have read a lot of the threads about speaker cables, and it is amazing at how complex this topic can be. I hope to be done my speaker cable journey at this time. Coming from humble beginnings in the 80's, where 12AWG lamp cord was my speaker cable of choice, to working as an electrician and coming across some stranded copper 12 conductor 16AWG twisted pair. i would twist 3 conductors together to make one terminal. I figured 3 cables in parallel would be less resistance. It did seem to make a difference at the time, i wasn't really sure what i was listening for?

Fast forward to the 90's where i was introduced to my first pair of real cables, Nordost Purple flare. I ran them for a long time, i compared them to a set of Wireworld Equinox 8 cables, and there was a noticeable difference in overall depth and clarity. So i was content for a while to leave that alone. My second system in the basement received the same speaker cables as well.

Then one day an audio deal friend came by with a set of Vertere redline speaker cables which were double the money of what i had now. The result was embarrassing, they sounded like someone had covered the speakers with big blankets. Even the dealer was shocked. So needless to say those never got purchased. I did however end up with a set of Madison Audio Lab E3Extreme2 Speaker Cables on both systems.

My speaker cable journey is done, i am very happy with the sound from both systems.

I was however trying to decide which is correct? Do cables add to a system or take things away, or is it a combination of both?

Attachments

• E3Extreme2_Speaker_Cables_1024x1024.jpeg
    E3Extreme2_Speaker_Cables_1024x1024.jpeg
    132.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 20211130_135203.jpg
    20211130_135203.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 26

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing