Speaker to better fit my room

stephen_volker

Nov 2, 2015
Previously I had a much larger room and the Nearfield Acoustic 18 speakers thrived. I don't expect to get these in a much bigger room as fast as I was expecting so will likely end up selling to get something more reasonable... I love the dynamics and punch of the Pipedreams but fear some of the imaging is thrown off. Any recommendations as a good start to the search for a speaker that will give similar dynamics and fun but will do better in a 12x20 foot room? Ideally I would about break even between selling the pipes and getting the new to me but used speakers.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
How about Von Schweikert E5s? Lots of fun and you'll still have slim towers :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I believe so

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Have you considered going for horns? I had Avantgarde Unos for 16 years or so then changed for used Duos, but have the latest Duo XDs on order. You want fun, Avantgarde offers this in spades! They may look bizarre and bulky but in fact they can be placed near the rear wall so could suit your room well. It's about the size of my previous listening room in London where the old Unos excelled. Much admired both for sound and looks. Even the ancient Unos sounded appreciably better in my room than Martin Logan's Expression 13A speakers. Peter

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
12x20? Is it a dedicated room that you can put the speakers along the long wall and treatments behind the listening chair? My dealer sets his listening room up like that with the speakers 1/2 way into the room with the seat against the wall thats well damped and the sound always captivates.

stephen_volker

Nov 2, 2015
It is a dedicated room. I actually got incredible results toeing in the speakers a out an inch and a half and moving the subs. Still working on it. Once I get that ideal I will mark the setup and try the long wall with treatments behind the listening location.

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
so often swapping speakers just makes everything worse, especially after being used to what 1 pair does so well. good luck.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing