Speakers for hypex nc1200 power amp

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Kal Rubinson OWNS the Revels, which means that he voted for them with his wallet, and you can't get much more informed than Kal, nor much more sincere than a wallet-vote. Take his advice over mine!
Thanks but, as I said, I use them only as surrounds and have yet to listen to them as a stereo pair. Their purchase, with which I am happy, was subsidiary to selecting Revel Studio2s for L/C/R and was based on their presumed timbre match.

Since I am now preparing a review of a stereo amplifier, I may get a chance to swap in the F206s.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013

Thanks for your message.

F206 have good measurements, you are absolutely right. Their response is quite flat on all the frequency band. But the slop falls quickly below 100Hz. I am afraid they may lack of bass and I have no plan for a subwoofer. On the other side, my room is not that big. Would that be sufficient for bass performance?

With that much of a drop off in the bass i would expect timbre issues too, smooth and controlled thru the rest thou ..

Did you listen to them ..?

Reactions: Rogerfederer

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
I have also to admit that I am very curious about the passive radiators.

A passive radiator is essentially a substitute for a port. It often looks like a woofer, but there is no motor attached to move the cone. It is a substitute for a column of air, which is what's inside a port.

Ports can have problems. One of them can be a resonance, like what happens to your voice when you talk through a cardboard tube. I'm pretty sure that's the cause of the ballpark 150 Hz up-and-down jog in the frequency response we see in Soundstage's curves for the earlier Argon 7 (non-LS).

Reactions: Rogerfederer

Rogerfederer

Apr 3, 2020
With that much of a drop off in the bass i would expect timbre issues too, smooth and controlled thru the rest thou ..
Did you listen to them ..?

Unfortunately, I cannot listen to them. There is no way to listen to revels around here. Anyway, I will go for Amphion and enjoy a 3 weeks trial at home.

Rogerfederer

Apr 3, 2020
A passive radiator is essentially a substitute for a port. It often looks like a woofer, but there is no motor attached to move the cone. It is a substitute for a column of air, which is what's inside a port.

Ports can have problems. One of them can be a resonance, like what happens to your voice when you talk through a cardboard tube. I'm pretty sure that's the cause of the ballpark 150 Hz up-and-down jog in the frequency response we see in Soundstage's curves for the earlier Argon 7 (non-LS).

Thanks Duke

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing