Speakers up to $30K

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
IMO, the Sophia 3s are a much better than the Magico S3s.
That’s the beauty of this hobby, in these levels, it’s a matter of taste.
I tried to express mine...

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Where do you live? A $30k investment may be a worth a little road trip.
Out of the country... so not really an option.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
So nothing anywhere in your country? NM clearly you don't want to provide a location and that's fine. In that case, you'll either have to choose from what you can hear, or depend upon the opinions and measurements of others. Asking folk on fora such as this to find like minds and similar equipment is as good an approach as any and provides a much wider audience than we had years ago. Good luck, be sure to let us know what you finally find!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yep, with the Luxman. Not sure what was wrong (or not), but the O93 did not impress me at all.

For O96 you need them well into the room and away from the sides and they work best with sub 20w SETs.

One speaker that works fantastic with Luxman and is much cheaper than modern speakers and quite good is vintage tannoy. But that is tough to demo

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
So nothing anywhere in your country? NM clearly you don't want to provide a location and that's fine. In that case, you'll either have to choose from what you can hear, or depend upon the opinions and measurements of others. Asking folk on fora such as this to find like minds and similar equipment is as good an approach as any and provides a much wider audience than we had years ago. Good luck, be sure to let us know what you finally find!
I live in Israel, so nothing near I can travel to...
Thanks for the tips! Will surely update when I choose and receive my next speakers.

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
For O96 you need them well into the room and away from the sides and they work best with sub 20w SETs.

One speaker that works fantastic with Luxman and is much cheaper than modern speakers and quite good is vintage tannoy. But that is tough to demo
Yep, I’m limited with how much I get move a speakers into my room, I can manage 3-5 feet-in, but no more...

Regarding vintage Tannoys, not sure they fit into the “wanna-be colorless” camp ;)

Reactions: asiufy

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Yep, with the Luxman. Not sure what was wrong (or not), but the O93 did not impress me at all.
The Lux would have been a bit lean and neutral for the 0-93's. A better match would be the Leben CS-1000P/CS-300F combo, or some of the higher wattage Shindo separates.

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
The Lux would have been a bit lean and neutral for the 0-93's. A better match would be the Leben CS-1000P/CS-300F combo, or some of the higher wattage Shindo separates.
If I ever audition them in a combo that makes me “want” them, I’ll reconsider. But, at the moment , I do not plan on updating my amplification.

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
BTW, what about:
B&W 800 D3
Vivid Giya G3 (there’s a s/h pair for sale)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yep, I’m limited with how much I get move a speakers into my room, I can manage 3-5 feet-in, but no more...

Regarding vintage Tannoys, not sure they fit into the “wanna-be colorless” camp ;)

Lux sounds great on the YG Hailey. I have heard the Hailey with boulder 2160, burmester 911 mk3 and 909, plinius, Nagra, and viola symphony. lux is extremely good as it gets on them. And no, that is not the case with each speaker.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
If I ever audition them in a combo that makes me “want” them, I’ll reconsider. But, at the moment , I do not plan on updating my amplification.
You need to get out and audition as many of the speakers on your pick list as possible (and even offer to bring your amps into the store where they don't carry your amps, or can't offer a home audition). Generally I advocate building around your speakers. Doing it the other way around is more difficult.

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
BTW, what about:
B&W 800 D3
Vivid Giya G3 (there’s a s/h pair for sale)

Lux is a known combo with vivid that sounds nice. Between those two I prefer 802 D3, though much difference, never heard with lux, and never heard the 800 D3

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Lux sounds great on the YG Hailey. I have heard the Hailey with boulder 2160, burmester 911 mk3 and 909, plinius, Nagra, and viola symphony. lux is extremely good as it gets on them. And no, that is not the case with each speaker.
The Hailey 2.2's are over the OP's price range (unless buying 2nd hand), but the earlier-mentioned Vantage model is an option.

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
You need to get out and audition as many of the speakers on your pick list as possible (and even offer to bring your amps into the store where they don't carry your amps, or can't offer a home audition). Generally I advocate building around your speakers. Doing it the other way around is more difficult.
You’re absolutely right! However, It’s a bit difficult to do it here with the current demo speakers on offer.

Reactions: Bodhi

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The Hailey 2.2's are over the OP's price range (unless buying 2nd hand), but the earlier-mentioned Vantage model is an option.

1.2 used

Reactions: Bodhi

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
You’re absolutely right! However, It’s a bit difficult to do it here with the current demo speakers on offer.
If you want to play it safe in terms of resale value, either the Magico S3 Mk2, Vimberg Mino D, YG Acoustics Vantage or above-mentioned Hailey 1.2 (used) would be a fine choice & be well served by your Luxman/Vac combo.

Reactions: iaxel

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
B&W certainly don't fit a "colorless camp"

The Revel's are the least " color camp" mentioned so far. I'm not saying I'd chose them, but they have that going for them.

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
B&W certainly don't fit a "colorless camp"
I thought the new D3 fit in that camp. I’ve heard them only once in, not-very-good, show conditions, and they felt pretty colorless to me.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
I thought the new D3 fit in that camp. I’ve heard them only once in, not-very-good, show conditions, and they felt pretty colorless to me.
When I heard the D3's with ARC tube amps, I agree they sounded less colored than the D2's. But I wasn't fully convinnced they'd tamed the bright sounding diamond tweeter. It still sounded a bit hot to me; even with tube amps. But a lot better than the previous generation. That said, B&W are just another Harman to me, so i'd pass.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing