iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
No love for B&W here, understood :)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
No love for B&W here, understood :)

It's quite good, one of the better cones. Very good grounded bassy sound if you like that sort of sound.

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
It's quite good, one of the better cones. Very good grounded bassy sound if you like that sort of sound.
The Japanese press love the 800D3, and they usually audition speakers with mostly classical music. So I tend to relate to their recommendations.
However, I have not heard the 800D3 in flattening conditions, so I don’t really know.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The Japanese press love the 800D3, and they usually audition speakers with mostly classical music. So I tend to relate to their recommendations.
However, I have not heard the 800D3 in flattening conditions, so I don’t really know.

I do all my auditions with classical music. I have heard 802 D3 with symphonic line Kraft, burmester 911 mk3, and Naim amps. They were the best with the Kraft and this is a popular combination in Germany.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What is your interpretation of colorless? Do you want transparency to recordings? Are you one of the many who thinks tonally grey is colorless, while tonal color is color? Frequency response flat line, vs a driver unable to show tonal contrasts or dynamic contrasts? You will have to judge the speaker on many attributes. Color can come through electronics too. One of the most transparent set ups i heard was the O96 with new audio frontiers 2a3 12w integrated, where each recording took me to a new concert. Yes it had less bass than the D3 or weight. And wasn't as grey for me as a revel, so someone might say the devore was colored

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I had a similar problem with auditioning YG Carmel 1 some years ago having been very impressed with the reviews of it. I solved it by making my first visit to Munich Highend Show and fell in love with it. Listening to it confirmed all that I had read.
I subsequently found an ex demo pair in Zagreb at a very good price and had them shipped to me in the UK. Were a great buy.
My room and set up is very similar to yours and subsequently I set out to find a pair of YG Kipod passives in order to get more scale to the sound. The passive versions were and are as rare as hens teeth but after about 18 months searching I found a pair of Kipod Signature passives in Kansas which I bought and had shipped to me. Again a really great buy. Neutral, transparent and awesome build quality.
I recount that first to encourage you to think very seriously about buying from outside your immediate area whichever brand you decide suits you best.. You then have a much bigger choice particularly if you are willing to consider ex demo or used examples. Obviously you need to exercise due diligence and get Paypal/credit catrd cover for the purchase.
I am a fan of YG speakers and strongly commend them to you. Currently on Audiogon GTT Audio have a mint ex demo pair of Hailey 1.1s for sale at $24.8k which I am sure would be a great buy. That dealer has a top class reputation.
I hope that is helpful to you.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Here from Stereophile ... Class A (Full-Range) ...

Bowers & Wilkins 802 D3: $22,000/pair
(Vol.39 No.6 WWW)

GoldenEar Technology Triton Reference: $8998/pair $$$
(Vol.40 No.12 WWW)

KEF Blade Two: $24,999.99/pair ?
(Vol.38 No.6 WWW)

MartinLogan Renaissance ESL 15A: $24,999.98/pair
(Vol.40 No.1 WWW)

Revel Ultima Studio2: $15,998/pair $$$ ?
FK's long-term reference. (Vol.31 No.3, Vol.32 No.12 WWW)
_____

Bonus:

KEF LS50 Anniversary Model: $1499.99/pair $$$ ? (stands necessary)
(Vol.35 No.12, Vol.37 Nos. 5 & 6, Vol.38 No.1 WWW)
• Add a pair of inexpensive quality speaker stands and a pair of quality HSU* subwoofers, for a full-range loudspeaker system under $3,099 total.

* $729 each directly from the manufacturer (maybe less if buying two):
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/hsu-vtf-15h-subwoofer

? Use the rest of the money (roughly $27,000) and buy a sailing boat.
...Or a motorcycle. ...Or both. ...Or, bring all your family and relatives to Phi Phi Islands for a month.

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I think YG Acoustics would be great for your desires and existing equipment.

Should be an easy demo in Israel as well ;)

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Spend a few more dollars, get the Magico S5 MK 2, and retire.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Yes true, they're that good and could work in the OP's situation. My only reservation is that sitting nearfield in a 24x12ft room, the OP may need room treatments to avoid overloading the room.

Last edited:

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Here from Stereophile ... Class A (Full-Range) ...

Bowers & Wilkins 802 D3: $22,000/pair
(Vol.39 No.6 WWW)

GoldenEar Technology Triton Reference: $8998/pair $$$
(Vol.40 No.12 WWW)

KEF Blade Two: $24,999.99/pair ?
(Vol.38 No.6 WWW)

MartinLogan Renaissance ESL 15A: $24,999.98/pair
(Vol.40 No.1 WWW)

Revel Ultima Studio2: $15,998/pair $$$ ?
FK's long-term reference. (Vol.31 No.3, Vol.32 No.12 WWW)
_____

Bonus:

KEF LS50 Anniversary Model: $1499.99/pair $$$ ? (stands necessary)
(Vol.35 No.12, Vol.37 Nos. 5 & 6, Vol.38 No.1 WWW)
• Add a pair of inexpensive quality speaker stands and a pair of quality HSU* subwoofers, for a full-range loudspeaker system under $3,099 total.

* $729 each directly from the manufacturer (maybe less if buying two):
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/hsu-vtf-15h-subwoofer

? Use the rest of the money (roughly $27,000) and buy a sailing boat.
...Or a motorcycle. ...Or both. ...Or, bring all your family and relatives to Phi Phi Islands for a month.
The Stereophile class rating system is a joke now. It's been turned into alphabet soup for obviously financial considerations. The introduction of the A+ rating is all the evidence you need of that. Don't get me wrong, I like and respect JA, but on this one J. Gordon Holt must be turning in his grave.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al M.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Is The Absolute Sound less of a joke, Bodhi?

If I give you $30,000 tomorrow morning what would you buy with it?
I read and enjoy Stereophile which has some fine reviewers like MF. TAS is another good audio magazine. I was only commenting on Stereophile's class rating system - not the whole magazine.

As to your question, If you gave me $30kUS to buy a pair of speakers, what would I buy? I could only answer that subjectively in terms of my own tastes and room. With that budget, I would look for a mint 1 owner pair of Magico S5 Mk2's in M-coat finish & order SPods, as in a medium-large size room I haven't yet heard a pair of speakers I like more for the money.

Reactions: NorthStar

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
What is your interpretation of colorless? Do you want transparency to recordings? Are you one of the many who thinks tonally grey is colorless, while tonal color is color? Frequency response flat line, vs a driver unable to show tonal contrasts or dynamic contrasts? You will have to judge the speaker on many attributes. Color can come through electronics too. One of the most transparent set ups i heard was the O96 with new audio frontiers 2a3 12w integrated, where each recording took me to a new concert. Yes it had less bass than the D3 or weight. And wasn't as grey for me as a revel, so someone might say the devore was colored
I believe the used term is the least distorting.
Magico, TIDAL (Vimberg), Rockport (and many more) - aim to reach this goal by eliminating enclosure coloration and using fast responding drivers.

Devore is not really in that camp. I know there are other speakers that sound great, but through the years, I found myself coming back to those that are part of the above camp.

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
I think YG Acoustics would be great for your desires and existing equipment.

Should be an easy demo in Israel as well ;)
You'd be surprised :)
Currently there's no distribution here in Israel.

Buying used without local support could be a PITA when you need some service (especially with the weight and size of the speakers in discussion...).

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Yep, but going up to $40K is increasing my budget by about 50% (if you take into account the trade-in/sell value of my S3s).

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
The Stereophile class rating system is a joke now. It's been turned into alphabet soup for obviously financial considerations. The introduction of the A+ rating is all the evidence you need of that. Don't get me wrong, I like and respect JA, but on this one J. Gordon Holt must be turning in his grave.
+1
Gone are the days when the Stereophile Recommended Components presented the status-quo.
Today I don't even bother browsing through it (not to mention taking it seriously...).

Reactions: Bodhi

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing