Speakon connector

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
I wonder why speakon connector is not popular in home audio. I’m never a fan of spade and banana plug. I think speakon connector provides much better grip and contact.

It is a chicken and egg problem. Amp and speaker manufacturers are not willing to install speakon connector as their customers can’t use their speaker cable. But I think it is easy for cable manufacturers to re-terminate to speakon connector.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I like them as well... imo speakons are much better vs the large, cheap alloy binding posts that are so common. Many are not even copper based alloy, but cheap zinc. Pure (or tellurium alloy) copper or WBT silver posts/connectors are better but much more expensive. Signal cables are more picky about connector quality vs speaker level.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Speakon contact mating resistances are typically around 3 mOhm, WBF specifies less than 0.1 mOhm for some their 681 series speaker binding posts.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Meh, really doesn't matter. I'm not even convinced WBF are better. The biggest issue with Speakon is that if you want to use really large gauge wire you have to reduce (or 2 conductor wire has to spread).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing