Spectral 2000/3000

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
as well as you SHOULD! Enjoy

spectral7

Oct 30, 2015
So my 2 cents: if you listen to mainly female vocalists - BUY IT. As others on this thread have remarked, the bass resolution is lacking and the voicing is dated, but the treble is special. Having owned the Berkeley Alpha DAC and EMM DAC2x, I'm keeping my Spectral. :)

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
So my 2 cents: if you listen to mainly female vocalists - BUY IT. As others on this thread have remarked, the bass resolution is lacking and the voicing is dated, but the treble is special. Having owned the Berkeley Alpha DAC and EMM DAC2x, I'm keeping my Spectral. :)

Thanks! I think I can live with the dated voicing since I am also eh....hihi

spectral7

Oct 30, 2015
This thread made me want to reevaluate all my various digital sources and DACs. As I mentioned previously, I've always loved my SDR-2000. The best combination with this DAC was to source it with my Mac Mini via the Berkeley Alpha USB. I never thought to take the same SPDIF out from the Alpha USB to my EMM DAC2X (as it has a highly regarded USB implementation). WOW. Can't go back. Amazing bass, soundstage, control. Sad to say, but that combination is going to replace my faithful SDR-2000.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
This thread made me want to reevaluate all my various digital sources and DACs. As I mentioned previously, I've always loved my SDR-2000. The best combination with this DAC was to source it with my Mac Mini via the Berkeley Alpha USB. I never thought to take the same SPDIF out from the Alpha USB to my EMM DAC2X (as it has a highly regarded USB implementation). WOW. Can't go back. Amazing bass, soundstage, control. Sad to say, but that combination is going to replace my faithful SDR-2000.

I think the 2000 can only really shine when it is hooked to the 3000 with the spectralink. But I have to agree with all who say that its "voicing" is old school. But...I can live with that :)
ENJOY your new found high :)

spectral7

Oct 30, 2015
I'm sure it does! Alas, I'm pretty committed to a computer source. Don't mean to come off as negative about the SDR-2000 - it's an AMAZING DAC and I'll keep it for my second system. Enjoy listening to it - I have for several years.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
I'm sure it does! Alas, I'm pretty committed to a computer source. Don't mean to come off as negative about the SDR-2000 - it's an AMAZING DAC and I'll keep it for my second system. Enjoy listening to it - I have for several years.

Thanks!

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
I think the 2000 can only really shine when it is hooked to the 3000 with the spectralink. But I have to agree with all who say that its "voicing" is old school.

What's meant by old school voicing?

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
What's meant by old school voicing?

Very good question! I think you would say that it is a bit "warm" when you compare it to the "total neutrality" of a modern cd player / dac. Placement of instruments for instance less important than a full-bodied presentation. Best I can do to describe it.;)

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Euphonic with loose bass is how I would describe it - or typical of some tube devices. But I've also heard some incredible chesty vocals out of it with beautiful presence, also typical of some tube devices. It's just that I found the Alpha DAC a lot closer to what I get out of my phono, and they both sound a lot more real to me.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing