Spectral "Accuracy" Brand Positioning - People Falling for Good Marketing or Spectral Objectively More Accurate than Other "Neutral" Brands?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Spectral seems to own the "Accuracy" term in audiophile circles. Kind of like Volvo owns "safety", Kleenex owns "tissues", and Google owns "search" in the minds of their consumers.

Is Spectral any more accurate than, say, CH Precision or Boulder? Or any other brand that markets itself based on "great engineering"?

Is it just wishful thinking on behalf of Spectral fans? Have people fallen for good marketing?

rubinken

Jan 15, 2020
Olympia, WA, USA
As we all hear differently, in different listening environments, I'm not sure that "accuracy" is meaningful. For me the important aspect of musical reproduction is emotional involvement. Doesn't answer your questions, but "accuracy" may not be the objective to attain.

Reactions: cmarin

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Spectral seems to own the "Accuracy" term in audiophile circles. Kind of like Volvo owns "safety", Kleenex owns "tissues", and Google owns "search" in the minds of their consumers.

Is Spectral any more accurate than, say, CH Precision or Boulder? Or any other brand that markets itself based on "great engineering"?

Is it just wishful thinking on behalf of Spectral fans? Have people fallen for good marketing?
I recall it was speed not accuracy but don’t know if it was something they put out themselves or one of TAS reviewers who made it up in the 90’s and it stuck.

david

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Spectral gets the importance of time domain performance. I'm more inclined to think of them as excelling at reproducing the sound of live music - and less so about just being accurate.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
If accuracy means faithfulness to the recording, that to me implies electronics that have very little or no sonic signature. If that is the case, I would not use this term to describe Spectral electronics.

I don’t really like the use of this term to describe audio gear. I prefer transparent, but that too is difficult to ascertain and achieve.

Reactions: Kingsrule

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
As stated in that PDF, Spectral's goal is accuracy and faithfulness to the recording ("Accuracy to the Source"), with the attributes they describe, part of which includes timbral accuracy, soundstaging, transparency, and resolution; and their reference is Keith's own recordings and live experiences. Then, they describe their technical approach to it, with speed, class A, elimination of thermal tails, etc. but all within the "technical confinement" but "absolute transparency" however that is determined. This article was circulated a while ago in another thread.

Impossible to answer the original question of whether they are "more accurate" than others. But "marketing" it is not.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing