Spectral DMA-500SV info

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Finally some concrete details from the factory on these amps https://goodwinshighend.com/spectral-ind-pages/spectral-dma-500sv/

3) What are the objectives for the DMA-500SV?
The DMA-500 Anniversary Reference has proven the performance advantages of Spectral's SV high-speed technology. In the DMA-500AR proprietary FET devices in custom silicon were developed exclusively for our circuit application in a collaboration with Spectral engineers. The original limited device run for the DMA-500AR proved entirely successful, leading to expanded custom production for Spectral today. The first application for these ultra-high performance devices is in the production DMA-500SV monaural amplifier.

4) What are the breakthroughs in the DMA-500SV?
The fundamental advantages of the original DMA-500AR are further enhanced and focused in the production DMA-500SV. Spectral engineers developed the first high-speed, wideband audio amplifier circuits for music reproduction 40 years ago. These circuits addressed important time domain and transient distortions in amplifier design for the very first time. Today, the DMA-500SV represents the pinnacle of our high-speed, high-resolution technology with the fastest signal response and the lowest time-based distortion in the audio industry. The DMA-500SV builds on the legacy of the DMA-500 Anniversary with further refinemetns in passive signal components and improved power supply capacity and performance. The Teflon revolution bgan with the DMA-500AR and continues with the DMA-500SV. Our Teflon Array Technology (TAT) introduced in the 500 driver, is further imporved in the DMA-500SV. Proprietary Teflon trimmers also replace conductive plastic parts in critical output bias circuits, lowering transient settlling distortion to the lowest levels yet achieved. The DMA-500AR has proven the remarkable stability and robustness of the SV gain and output sections. With this confidence Spectral engineers have redesigned the DMA-500SV power supply and "opened it up" for increased performance. New transformer designs deliver improved regulation and higher peak current capability to fully realize the absolute potential of the DMA-500 topology.

5) Does the DMA-500SV share components with the DMA-500AR?
Although the DMA-500 AR and the DMA-500SV share common chassis designs and general layout, the DMA-500SV features various recently available new components as well as unique power supplies and support metalwork. Input, gain and ouput devices are individually matched by hand on advanced curve-tracing equipment before selected parts are soldered into the curcuit position on the amplifer boards of the DMA-500SV.

Gene 15352

Feb 18, 2013
Canada
Thanks for the great sharing of information ack. Unfortunately, due to the high cost of these wonderful amps and the required dealer set up/ fine tuning in the home, I'll be relegated to hear them only at the dealer. I think it was Music Lovers who recently told me that there's a 600SV series mono amps in development. Not sure how Spectral can improve upon the 500SV? I'll be purchasing the upcoming 350 mono amps as soon as they become available.They are based on the 150 series and should be less expensive than the 400SV.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Thanks. Yes, I am aware of the 600SV amp "rumors", and am waiting for them. Probably more power. Great to hear about your future purchase!

Gene 15352

Feb 18, 2013
Canada
Thought this was interesting to find the exact product information on the 400SV as the 500SV, even down to the specs, 350w/ch @8ohm; 580 w/ch @4 ohm. Could this be a misprint or are the specs of the 400SV and 500SV the same?

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Thought this was interesting to find the exact product information on the 400SV as the 500SV, even down to the specs, 350w/ch @8ohm; 580 w/ch @4 ohm. Could this be a misprint or are the specs of the 400SV and 500SV the same?
actually all the power amps from Spectral had always the same specs (power rating aside).
I have always like the Spectral systems I auditioned*, yet I think their website and communication are not up to the sound quality of their gear.

*= ironically, the only demo that left me cold was run by Richard Fryer himself. Too much talking and only RR music

Reactions: Gene 15352

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The power ratings have traditionally been way off. Just about the only things that represent anything relevant are the rise time, settling and slew rate, plus noise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene 15352

Whbgarrett

Oct 7, 2019
Ack, have you had the chance to hear the 500SVs at Goodwin's, and if so do you have any comment/observations on how they compare to the 500ARs?

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Ack, have you had the chance to hear the 500SVs at Goodwin's, and if so do you have any comment/observations on how they compare to the 500ARs?
I heard that Ack left WBF. A real bummer.

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
Are the 500sv still available?
What is the MSRP in the different parts of the world? In Germany it should be 70.000 EUR, as I know.

Whbgarrett

Oct 7, 2019
Yes, there are a current model. Price in the US is $50k for a pair. No idea what the price is elsewhere, but Spectral is usually quite a bit more expensive in the EEA.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing