Spectral DMC 30 SS 2 or DMC 30 SC

robje24b

Oct 7, 2012
Hi,

Can anyone tell me what the biggest differences are between a series 2 DMC 30 SS and a DMC 30 SC preamp? The DMC 30 SC costs quite a lot in Europe ($22.000, the DMC 30 SV around $28.000) and 30 SS series 2 can be had for about 1/3 of the price of a new 30 SC on the second hand market.
I've also read about late serial numbers on the series 2 30 SS being better than earlier serial numbers. What can be considered as a late serial number?

Best, Rob

Last edited:

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
My second 30SS S2 had a serial number in the 950s somewhere; I would say that's roughly the range.

I have not heard the 30SC, but I would suspect it ought to be better than the 30SS series, like the 30SV is.

robje24b

Oct 7, 2012
My second 30SS S2 had a serial number in the 950s somewhere; I would say that's roughly the range.

I have not heard the 30SC, but I would suspect it ought to be better than the 30SS series, like the 30SV is.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. So the 30sv is a big step up in your opinion compared to the 30 ss 2?

I’m now using my DAC (dcs Rossini) directly to a spectral dma 200s. What do you think is the best investment that will yield the most benefit? Upgrading the amp to a 240/280 or adding a spectral preamp?

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
Rob,

I own a DMC-30 SC but, I don't have any prior experience with previous Spectral products. Although there are many on this forum and some audiophiles that believe that you can drive a Spectral amp via A DAC (even as great as yours is). I don't think its an ideal choice.

Spectral is designed as a system especially the pre-amp +amp.

Now, you could go for a different brand of amplifier and still use your DCS a pre amp.

Perhaps a Solution or CH Precision? A domestic European brand.

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
I’m now using my DAC (dcs Rossini) directly to a spectral dma 200s. What do you think is the best investment that will yield the most benefit? Upgrading the amp to a 240/280 or adding a spectral preamp?

Best investment would be to get the pre amp.
A friend of mine use to run his Nagra CDC straight into his amp as it was minimal and worked, but I always told him a pre will do a better job. When he was getting a new power amp, we went to listen to it. First we used the Nagra CDC into the new amp, then we put a pre amp in between and the difference was night and day. Guess what he bought the new pre and power amp in one go, when he realised what he had been missing all those years.

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
Hi,

Can anyone tell me what the biggest differences are between a series 2 DMC 30 SS and a DMC 30 SC preamp? The DMC 30 SC costs quite a lot in Europe ($22.000, the DMC 30 SV around $28.000) and 30 SS series 2 can be had for about 1/3 of the price of a new 30 SC on the second hand market.
I've also read about late serial numbers on the series 2 30 SS being better than earlier serial numbers. What can be considered as a late serial number?

Best, Rob

I think you mean DMC 30SC is €18900 ($21428) and the DMC 30SV is €25900 ($32778)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing