Spectral DMC 30 SV series 2

Hiempie

May 6, 2016
Hi,

Has someone more news about the just annouced new reference preamplifier on the Spectral website?

Greetings Hiempie Spectral news.JPG

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Spectral will have a bulletin soon. You can contact your Spectral dealer as well as they usually have hard copies of the updates before they are posted online.

Reactions: ack

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
....Sold all my MIT cables (Oracle Matrix SHD 120, interlinks: Oracle MA-X & Oracle MA-X2) replaced it for new cables at least 40 times cheaper and with no sound difference :)

Now that's funny. I guess you're not getting any Christmas cards this year from Rick Fryer or Bruce Brisson! I presume your Spectral gear didn't blow up, so please share- what did you replace your MIT cables with?

Hiempie

May 6, 2016
Now that's funny. I guess you're not getting any Christmas cards this year from Rick Fryer or Bruce Brisson! I presume your Spectral gear didn't blow up, so please share- what did you replace your MIT cables with?

Hi Marty,

In the past when I owned all mentioned very expensive Mit cables both guys didn't send me anything ;).
Here in The Netherlands all these US products are extra high priced. You won't believe it!

A friend of mine also owner of much cheaper Mit cables once asked me to take all my cables to try on his equipment PASS int 60 and Magico speakers. There was no difference between the cheap and expencive cables. Then we tried the black line Linn RCA cable about 100 euro a pair was included with te Akurate DS we both own. It was a total deception I can tell you after investing a big amout of euro's in my opinion the better MIT line cables :(.
Ofcourse I heard about Spectral occilating problems but now after more then two years playing with In Akustik LS1102 nothing happend and the sound is the same no diffence at all.
Yes the Maxiimus in our meter cupboard made the difference and better speakers did help :D.

We both sold all our Mit cabels after hearing no difference with the cheaper but good quality cables.

My advise listen to the cables and do blind tests. When you hear no difference and nothing occilates the DMA260 has the same temperature as playing with MIT I did measure it because I also was affraid of blowing up my system, but nothing happend.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Spectral will have a bulletin soon. You can contact your Spectral dealer as well as they usually have hard copies of the updates before they are posted online.

They said they would announce it at the end of August and sure enough they did, at the very end. Yeah, those hard copies usually exist, I suspect for this product as well. The improvements are rumored to be "not small"

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Hi Marty,

In the past when I owned all mentioned very expensive Mit cables both guys didn't send me anything ;).

Ha! But seriously, this has been discussed a great length in previous posts as I was firmly in the camp of believing that non MIT cables were perfectly safe and often beneficial when using Spectral gear. This was particularly true when using a tube preamp (VTL 7.5 III in my case) to drive a wide bandwidth Spectral power amp since tube pre-amps are by definition bandwidth limited (~200K at best) so would therefore be very difficult to drive Spectral amps into oscillation for that reason alone. So yes, I carried that torch and have been duly criticized for it by many (even by my good WBF colleague Tasos i.e "ack"). And of course, Spectral didn't send me Christmas cards either. Fortunately, I don't have to deal with this issue any longer since I decided to move away from Spectral after they refused to sell me their Reference 500 amps because I didn't have a Spectral pre-amp. No regrets at all. There are many fine electronic manufacturers out there far more tolerant of using associated gear by a wide range of manufacturers. Spectral is just not one of them although they certainly do make fine products.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
ack that, marty - LOL :) Two things again: blown Spectral amps are a reality (we had 1rsw here who was a victim); and, why do people spend so much money on cables...

Last edited:

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
ack that, marty - LOL :) Two things again: blown Spectral amps are a reality; and, why do people spend so much money on cables...

MIT and networked cable controversy aside. Looks like Goodwin has updated his website to reflect the 30SV S2.

@ack Do you plan on giving a listen?

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I will take a listen asap. I am pretty sure it's great.

Reactions: Mdp632

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Meantime, here's some exciting news: the new 500SV amps have LED-lit logos. Took them 42 years

Reactions: preachmtl

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
Meantime, here's some exciting news: the new 500SV amps have LED-lit logos. Took them 42 years
LOL. Geez for 40K ish (?) how nice of them to throw in LED.

Thought they were all about going green out there in the Bay Area :)

I i assumed they were all LEDs at least for the past decade.

Last edited:

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay

Going green. I think the preamp idles at +80w. My 260 idles at +200w. Definitely not a green product. In addition to the Spectrals, when I turn on my Aesthetix Io phono and its 24 tubes it can get sauna hot on a summer day. Lots of watts being consumed at idle. Surprised the EU allows class A biased amps.

Hiempie

May 6, 2016

Do they sell these led cards seperately to replace the old lamps because mine recently stopt giving light:(

Hiempie

May 6, 2016

Is the price of 500SV 40k?
the 400SV in Holland is 60k euro

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The 500SV are actually $45k

Hiempie

May 6, 2016
MIT and networked cable controversy aside. Looks like Goodwin has updated his website to reflect the 30SV S2.

@ack Do you plan on giving a listen?
Here in Holland most of the time More Music will place very quickly the new bulletin and information about new Spectral products.

Hiempie

May 6, 2016

I am again amazed Ack prices are over the top here in Holland. A new 30SV 24,5 K euro.

Mdp632

May 29, 2016

Wow ! Wonder if they are indeed just the 500ARs but , another production run? Using in production parts.

Guess the 400Sv are probably around 35k usd ?

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
I am again amazed Ack prices are over the top here in Holland. A new 30SV 24,5 K euro.

Imported prices are rough for spectral fans. Given that you no longer use mit cables. @Hiempie Have you considered switching brands ?

Last edited:

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Do they sell these led cards seperately to replace the old lamps because mine recently stopt giving light:(

I am going to have my amps’ lamps replaced by the dealer. I do not think they will sell you the kit directly, so contact your dealer

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing