Spectral's website

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
Hopefully their site is just down for routine maintenance or perhaps a much needed modernization.

With the current state of global affairs and this hobby. I hope all is well with the company.

Wonder if @ack has heard anything from his Spectral dealer or contacts?

Last edited:

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I don't visit other websites so I would not know, but why would they be hostile to Spectral owners and enthusiasts?

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I heard from the Hong Kong Specral dealer that Spectral will sell their modified Avalon speakers.

Reactions: gian60

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
I don't visit other websites so I would not know, but why would they be hostile to Spectral owners and enthusiasts?

@mullard88 Well at WBF we have a dedicated section for Spectral :)

I edited my comment as i didn't want it to drag the thread off topic. Sorry for any confusion.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I listen Aurora with 4000,30SV and mono 500
From Italian distributor and result was very good

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Their website has been throwing 503 errors for days now. Haven't spoken to the dealer about it.

rascs

Apr 18, 2018
Just noticed that it is back online, but the new products page is displaying the 2019 slide.

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
Just noticed that it is back online, but the new products page is displaying the 2019 slide.

Happy that they are "back" but, looks like they are postponing new products for 2020. Before the "outage" it did say new products were coming for 2020.

Given the current situation , I wonder if they are being postponed.

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
No new products on the horizon. Maybe an updated amp but I wouldn't hold my breath.

My prediction would be the opposite. I think all the amps have been updated in the past year or so. I'd bet for a new flagship pre-amp (2 chassis) replacing the 30SV or if hell freezes over the phono stage.

I don't think the next Spectral product, if there is one, will be another amplifier.

Sadly, i did think the website going dark was the end of company and was expecting some kind of bad news.

Glad it isn't the case but, looking forwards to their next product. Think it would great for the industry if it's the phono stage.

Although I wouldn't be a customer. Waiting for the next time hell freezes over for DAC :)

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I’m not a betting man, but if I was, I would take your money on the amplifier not being next. All they do is tweaks to amps for years. It’s easy money for them. They are just replacing NOS components they can no longer get with substitutes. The preamps have been updated using the same approach.

You will not see a phonostage or a dac from Spectral. The 2 box preamp is nowhere on the horizon.

I do use a Spectral preamp and amplifier but I have written them off. Any substitutes will come from a different company.

Reactions: Jon Q and ack

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

Possibly a server crash earlier, followed now by an old backup

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
I’m not a betting man, but if I was, I would take your money on the amplifier not being next. All they do is tweaks to amps for years. It’s easy money for them. They are just replacing NOS components they can no longer get with substitutes. The preamps have been updated using the same approach.

You will not see a phonostage or a dac from Spectral. The 2 box preamp is nowhere on the horizon.

I do use a Spectral preamp and amplifier but I have written them off. Any substitutes will come from a different company.

Fair enough. But, sounds like you know or have a connection with the company? Says you reside in the Bay Area ? The SV amps clearly are in a different league over the previous RS . For example, I compared the DMA-300RS to the 300SV. The SV technology is very special.

Keith Johnson is in in his 80s now I'd guess. I'd like to see what he could do with a phono stage or DAC.

Last edited:

rascs

Apr 18, 2018
Just saw that they changed the new products page for 2020 and added "DMA-500SV MONAURAL REFERENCE STANDARD AMPLIFIER " which I assume is the same as the Anniversary Reference? Throw any more bandwidth in there and light will shoot out the binding posts.

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
Just saw that they changed the new products page for 2020 and added "DMA-500SV MONAURAL REFERENCE STANDARD AMPLIFIER " which I assume is the same as the Anniversary Reference? Throw any more bandwidth in there and light will shoot out the binding posts.

Wow. So, I wonder what the difference is between these and the 500AR that were released a few years ago?

Most likely its the same amp but, maybe @ack will eventually be able to enlighten us as he owns the 500ARs.

If I were to bet , given the comments from @dan31 regarding Spectral amps. These are the same as the 500ARs but, they are producing them again but, with parts that aren’t discontinued from the supplier.

Now calling them SV to align with the other amps utilizing SV technology.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Don't know anything about the "500SV"; price will tell a lot, and I am sure you'll find details on Goodwin's website in due time. And I guess, still no phono this year; UGH!!!! Thankfully, I finally fixed my XP-25 to be able to use max gain (76dB) plus 47K loading for great dynamics and very low noise.

Reactions: Robertd and Mdp632

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I have to also admit that, if these 500SV sound as good as the 500AR or better, then I am glad they are bringing that thrilling, stupendous sound to the "masses"; under that hypothetical scenario, they would be must-audition class, and maybe sell-the-farm. If you are following my system thread, I've been playing with in-series resistance into the panels for a year now, and I can easily hear differences between 1.1ohms and 1.08, and so can my son; they are that revealing

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I see that Goodwin's put up the following announcement, marking them "flagship"

Spectral DMA-500SV Reference Mono Power Amp. Spectral Audio has just announced their new flagship 500 class mono amp! Details to be announced as soon as they are made available.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing