Spindle thread stuck in record clamp

Anil Kalagatla

Mar 2, 2011
Shoreline, WA
So, I have a strange problem that I'm hoping someone can help with. My turntable has a threaded spindle insert (M6 threads on both ends with a thicker middle portion for the record hole). It unfortunately got stuck inside the record clamp. The clamp is actually used to load and unload the heavy platter and the spindle now does not come off the clamp after I installed my platter. Anyone have any ideas on how to extract it? I tried to grip tightly with some pliers, but it keeps slipping. Or, are there any after-market spindle inserts that I can use instead? Unless this is very uncommon for turntables, I can't seem to find any when I searched.

thanks
Anil

IMG_2462.jpg

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK
So, I have a strange problem that I'm hoping someone can help with. My turntable has a threaded spindle insert (M6 threads on both ends with a thicker middle portion for the record hole). It unfortunately got stuck inside the record clamp. The clamp is actually used to load and unload the heavy platter and the spindle now does not come off the clamp after I installed my platter. Anyone have any ideas on how to extract it? I tried to grip tightly with some pliers, but it keeps slipping. Or, are there any after-market spindle inserts that I can use instead? Unless this is very uncommon for turntables, I can't seem to find any when I searched.

thanks
Anil

View attachment 89650
Just purchase a left hand thread nut the same thread size as whats there.

Reactions: Anil Kalagatla

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
If all parts are metal then adding a few drops of penetrating oil may help the plan laid out in the prior post.

There are tools designed to extract studs, if the reverse nut plan does not succeed. If you go this route buy a good one, or better yet if you are friendly with a machine shop drop by and ask nice :) the shop could also perhaps polish out any marks and check the threads etc.

Pm me if you want seeing as we are in the same general area, I may be able to help with a shop lead....

Last edited:

Anil Kalagatla

Mar 2, 2011
Shoreline, WA
If all parts are metal then adding a few drops of penetrating oil may help the plan laid out in the prior post.

There are tools designed to extract studs, if the reverse nut plan does not succeed. If you go this route buy a good one, or better yet if you are friendly with a machine shop drop by and ask nice :) the shop could also perhaps polish out any marks and check the threads etc.

Pm me if you want seeing as we are in the same general area, I may be able to help with a shop lead....
Great, thanks! I will try the reverse thread idea, if it does not work I will gladly take you up on your offer.

Anil

Anil Kalagatla

Mar 2, 2011
Shoreline, WA
A quick update: it looks like the reverse nut idea may not work. I went to a couple of hardware stores to find an M6 reverse threaded nut, they didn't have them, but the guy at Ace hardware pointed out that I would not be able to even thread the spindle onto a left handed thread as the helical spiral will be the wrong way (which makes sense upon reflection).

I will try and jerry rig a way to clamp the spindle once more, but @Solypsa I may end up PMing you for help :)

Anil

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
maybe run a nut onto the spindle, use a socket and lever arm to grip it with leverage, then use one of these on the clamp for leverage the opposite direction. (yes; i realize that the rotation directions might not allow this approach to work.....although even if you tighten it, you might break loose the binding point.).

Last edited:

Anil Kalagatla

Mar 2, 2011
Shoreline, WA
maybe run a nut onto the spindle, use a socket and lever arm to grip it with leverage, then use one of these on the clamp for leverage the opposite direction. (yes; i realize that the rotation directions might not allow this approach to work.....although even if you tighten it, you might break loose the binding point.).

Interesting idea, Mike, I might give it a try if others don't work. Though, I also wonder if the rotation directions will work. Currently, I'm able to screw this on the to fairly heavy platter (which would be a little like running a nut and clamping it) and when I try to unscrew, the spindle is still stuck to the clamp.

Anil

Anil Kalagatla

Mar 2, 2011
Shoreline, WA
Just to close on this: I was able to finally extract it by wrapping the spindle with blue masking tape (of all the things) and using a different set of pliers I had (Knipex Cobra Water Pump Pliers, in case any one else is interested) and it did the trick! I guess blue tape is even stronger than what I had thought. Thanks to Mark Dohmann for this great tip.

Anil

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
if it happens again just use two M6 nuts. screw them on each other over the thread and use a wrench only on the lower one to unscrew the spindle. that's a very basic way removing bolts from blocks, removing shafts etc.

info: use the wrench only on the upper nut if you want to screw the spindle on clamp again.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
A half-width nut is often called a “jam nut”, you jam them together to get you out of a jam!

Anil Kalagatla

Mar 2, 2011
Shoreline, WA
Nice, thanks for the tip with two M6 nuts. I didn't know about half-width nut, as that's probably what I would need as I did not have enough threads for two regular M6 nuts. Overall, interesting experience, and I learned a few new tricks :)

Anil

Reactions: Bobvin

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing