SPU upgrade

Jjarchive

Jan 16, 2022
I have an SPU Synergy that I enjoy. I'll need to send it out to get retipped soon, so I'm interested in adding a second cartridge, probably in the 2k-3k range. I appreciate the more vintage SPU Synergy sound as my favorite eras of music are soul, jazz, R&b, funk, and rock of the 60s and early 70s although my record collection extends in many other directions. I'm not interested in a modern, analytical cartridge that emphasizes the highs. So any suggestions for something similar yet different or better if that makes any sense.

Thanks,
Joe

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I’d look at purchasing one of the Anniversary carts. I have the SPU85 and SPU95 and I’m very happy with them.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Spu meister silver gm II more details not so creamy like synergy

or a EMT jsd 6 wonderful cartridge for all kinds of music, a bit more expensive but worth every cent

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
I’d look at purchasing one of the Anniversary carts. I have the SPU85 and SPU95 and I’m very happy with them.
I agree with jeffery….I have a few different SPU’s and the anniversary 90 is my favorite. In fact, I like it better than the SPU 100 anniversary that I also have. The Myajima carts sound like they might be nice - I don’t have direct experience and I’ve only read other peoples comments. There are a lot of positives about the Da Va field coil too.

Reactions: jeff1225

Jjarchive

Jan 16, 2022
Spu meister silver gm II more details not so creamy like synergy

or a EMT jsd 6 wonderful cartridge for all kinds of music, a bit more expensive but worth every cent
Stephen -- Thanks for the EMT suggestion. I like what I'm reading. Any thoughts on pairing it with the Schick arm?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I agree with jeffery….I have a few different SPU’s and the anniversary 90 is my favorite. In fact, I like it better than the SPU 100 anniversary that I also have. The Myajima carts sound like they might be nice - I don’t have direct experience and I’ve only read other peoples comments. There are a lot of positives about the Da Va field coil too.

I haven't heard the 100. I like a95 and a90 better than a 85. of those, the 95 has more detail, while the 90 seemed a good mix of the detail of the A95 and the flow of the old SPUs. In the older ones I have also liked the first classic.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Stephen -- Thanks for the EMT suggestion. I like what I'm reading. Any thoughts on pairing it with the Schick arm?
A Schick is really good tone arm, why not ?
the emt jsd 6 is made for long-term listening, very dynamic. the best are voices they really sound like real.i had the Schick 12" at home with spu, ortofon vienna, zyx and audiotechnia cartridge. never had any combination problems do it have fun. 20170222_093219[1].jpg

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
The Silver Meister will be brighter than your Synergy.
Not only brighter, everywhere more details.maybe too much for a hardcore spu fan, that everyone only can decide for themselves.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I'm not interested in a modern, analytical cartridge that emphasizes the highs. So any suggestions for something similar yet different or better if that makes any sense.
The only EMT cartridge meeting your demand is now discontinued TSD 15 N (spherical tip). Rest of them including jsd-6 are on the dynamic/extended highs side of the neutral let alone having vintage tone like spu. They have modern sound IME.

TSD 15 N will be a good match for Schick arm.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
The only EMT cartridge meeting your demand is now discontinued TSD 15 N (spherical tip). Rest of them including jsd-6 are on the dynamic/extended highs side of the neutral let alone having vintage tone like spu. They have modern sound IME.

TSD 15 N will be a good match for Schick arm.
you will no longer find a frequency response like an spu with modern pickups, the only ones that sound really balanced were the EMT and Dynavector. most pickups today have a significant increase in treble. 000800-0.jpg

Emt jsd 6 rulerflat

EMT_JSD_6G_Web_4.jpg

Dynavector perfect curve for the ear
Dynavector - DV XX2 mk2_hificritic.jpg

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
you will no longer find a frequency response like an spu with modern pickups, the only ones that sound really balanced were the EMT and Dynavector. most pickups today have a significant increase in treble. View attachment 88176

Emt jsd 6 rulerflat

View attachment 88177

View attachment 88178
I can be considered rather a technical/measuring kind of guy who has a tendency to like checking those graphs and I understand you like it too. but unfortunately those graphs supplied by the manufacturers don't tell the whole story about sound signature. I've seen a couple of EMT graphs for a couple of EMT cartridges and more or less they're the same. I just wanted to point out that newer EMT cartridges don't have a vintage sound like SPU. maybe only EMT TSD 15 N or TMD 25 N can be considered in this regard. IMHO in order to get a vintage tone or a sound as described by @Jjarchive it is a good choice to have a cartridge with a spherical stylus.

Jjarchive

Jan 16, 2022
My initial idea was just to get a second SPU Synergy, so they can be swapped when getting retipped. This is all very helpful. Any thoughts on the EAT No. 8?
Joe

Yeti

Dec 25, 2020
France
For something completely different, have you ever tried a Decca?
The London maroon is very entertaining if it stays in the groove but that will depend on your arm. Somewhere around 20g with headshell should help tame it, then it’s up to the bearings.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
I can be considered rather a technical/measuring kind of guy who has a tendency to like checking those graphs and I understand you like it too. but unfortunately those graphs supplied by the manufacturers don't tell the whole story about sound signature. I've seen a couple of EMT graphs for a couple of EMT cartridges and more or less they're the same. I just wanted to point out that newer EMT cartridges don't have a vintage sound like SPU. maybe only EMT TSD 15 N or TMD 25 N can be considered in this regard. IMHO in order to get a vintage tone or a sound as described by @Jjarchive it is a good choice to have a cartridge with a spherical stylus.
if you're not open to new sounds, you have to take the tried and tested, an Ortofon Venice has the SPU gene, or an MM soundsmith zephyr that just sounds a lot like a Spu.

Reactions: mtemur

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
if you're not open to new sounds, you have to take the tried and tested, an Ortofon Venice has the SPU gene, or an MM soundsmith zephyr that just sounds a lot like a Spu.
on the contrary I prefer modern, analytical sound and modern stylus profiles over spherical, but I do understand people who are after vintage tone. not my cup of tea but that's perfectly alright.

Reactions: DasguteOhr

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
you will no longer find a frequency response like an spu with modern pickups, the only ones that sound really balanced were the EMT and Dynavector. most pickups today have a significant increase in treble. View attachment 88176

Emt jsd 6 rulerflat

View attachment 88177

View attachment 88178

There are many modem carts better than SPU. SPU is good on flow, body and tone, less on nuance and extension. It is excellent for the value for money equation especially considering the price of used SPUs

Reactions: DasguteOhr

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
There are many modem carts better than SPU. SPU is good on flow, body and tone, less on nuance and extension. It is excellent for the value for money equation especially considering the price of used SPUs
Of course there are better ones, the question makes listening to music happier or more fun. I can understand very well if you like a spu. example the Ortofon Vienna, I think it's the best that Ortofon has ever built a perfect mix of timbre, dynamics it rocks the house, your foot automatically starts tapping to the music fun factor high 10.
I'll never give it back, one of my best buys ever.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Of course there are better ones, the question makes listening to music happier or more fun. I can understand very well if you like a spu. example the Ortofon Vienna, I think it's the best that Ortofon has ever built a perfect mix of timbre, dynamics it rocks the house, your foot automatically starts tapping to the music fun factor high 10.
I'll never give it back, one of my best buys ever.
Will check it out

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing