Squeezing more performance out of my Spectral gear

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
I've owned a Spectral DMC-30S preamp and DMA-150 Series 2 amp for nearly a decade. There are several things that that I've done in that last few years that have squeezed even greater performance out of these components. Some would consider these tweaks, but I now consider them essential.

(I'm intentionally omitting interconnects and speaker cables as these have been well covered on this forum.)

1. Loom of Nordost power cords (same model used on all components). A full loom of what was formerly Nordost's cheapest power cord, the Magus, demonstrated to me how beneficial it can be to use the same power cord throughout. The Magus loom replaced a mix of more expensive cords, including some from ESP, PS Audio, and Lessloss and delivered a startling improvement in clarity and transparency - greatly increasing the sense that I was in the same room as the musicians. Moving up to a full loom of Vishnu increased this sense further, while also delivering greater tonal density and weight. Moving up one more rung to Brahma brought even more significant improvements. Brahma greatly increased the sense that instruments were actually moving air realistically, making it initially impossible for me to not grin from ear to ear for weeks after introducing them to my system.

2. HiFi Tuning Supreme fuses. Replacing just the fuse in my preamp probably delivered the biggest bang for the buck upgrade I'd ever performed. This fuse stripped away a veil that existed between me and the music, further increasing the sense that I'm in the same room as the musicians. The improvement was nearly on par with upgrading interconnects. Replacing the fuses in my amp stripped away a thinner veil. But more importantly, it made it sound like I was using a more powerful amp. Bass had more weight, seemed to go deeper, while at the same time also seeming to be faster. [This may be somewhat power cord dependent. Replacing the stock fuse allowed much of more of the same benefits I heard from the Nordost power cords to flow through - while also stripping away a veil or two.]

3. Stillpoints. Stillpoints are most effective under source components and speakers. But once both source and speakers are treated, the benefits of using Stillpoints under preamps and amps becomes quite evident. After hearing what they do, it would be extremely difficult for me to live without them. The best way to describe the benefit is to use an analogy. Imagine a photograph of a far away bird where the camera shook a bit while the image was captured. Now imagine that same bird photo but either a tripod a lens with anti-shake technology were used. That bird image will in focus - the image will be sharper and the colors will be richer. I hear something similar from Stillpoints. Pulling the Stillpoints out from under my preamp and amp will blurr images. It will also affect transient response - the sound just doesn't seem as fast, or as easily able to stop and start on a dime.

It would be hard to rank these at this point. But I'd probably start with power cords first to establish the proper foundation (note also that upgrading the duplex outlet feeding your system can cause jaw dropping improvements). Then I'd place Stillpoints under my source. Then I'd upgrade the fuses. And then I'd finish up by placing Stillpoints under everything else. (The now-discontinued Stillpoints cones and risers/inverse risers are now in place under all my components and speakers).

I purchased my Spectral gear from Terry at Overture. I did this after hearing the Spectral system they had on display. For many years my system did not match my recollection of the great sound I heard at Overture. I had blamed my speakers (Aerial 10Ts). Or maybe it was just that I had to move up to better MIT cables. That all changed once I first tried the full loom of Nordost power cords. My system for the first time started demonstrating the amazing transparency I had heard at Overture. And while I still don't think my system is as good as that system I heard at Overture (those Avalon Eidolons were amazing when driven by DMA-360s), all of the above have gotten my system far closer than I would have imagined possible. And while these items aren't cheap, all of them punched far above their weight. It shouldn't come as a great surprise that these items helped so much as Spectral may have been the first company to stress the importance of proper AC distribution and proper equipment support. And room treatment too of course. And of course Spectral has long argued that the same brand of cabling should be used throughout.

So that's my list and I hope this was of interest. I'm guessing many of you have arrived at the same point, but have used products from different manufacturers. I'd be interested to hear what you've had success with.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
KennyB123,

yes, Agree with Steve...interesting. After hearing the Ultra SS under an Esoteric Transport, I have asked to audition Stillpoints Ultra 5s under my Wilson X1/Grand Slamms...what should i expect to hear? Any advice?

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Thanks for the welcome Steve. I've been lurking as a non member for a while. Wanted to spread the word about receiving great support from Spectral so finally registered.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Robert Harley described what he heard from placing Stillpoints Ultra SS under speakers in a recent TAS. He really nailed it. I heard exactly the same benefits even with their older technology. See his review for a better written description than I can provide.

Placing them under my speakers stripped away colorations I didn't even know were there. They even revealed colorations further upstream. I ended up pulling a Symposium Svelte shelf out from under my turntable as I became aware of how its metal surface was coloring the sound. This had been previously masked.

Greater purity of tone and sharper image focus were probably the biggest benefits. Truer timbre too.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Robert Harley described what he heard from placing Stillpoints Ultra SS under speakers in a recent TAS. He really nailed it. I heard exactly the same benefits even with their older technology. See his review for a better written description than I can provide.

Placing them under my speakers stripped away colorations I didn't even know were there. They even revealed colorations further upstream. I ended up pulling a Symposium Svelte shelf out from under my turntable as I became aware of how its metal surface was coloring the sound. This had been previously masked.

Greater purity of tone and sharper image focus were probably the biggest benefits. Truer timbre too.

Thank you. i have read everything i could find after hearing the Ultra SS and decided to ask for the Ultra 5s. That is helpful confirmation. i am a big fan of purity of tone, then bass/endless dynamics, and after that detail. will post update soon.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
This is a very good read with respect to optimizing a system with Stillpoints:

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/blog/taves_seminar_results.htm

I tried step 7 just before sending my amp off for repair. I pulled a set of cones from the power supply of my phono stage, and placed them under my Quantum QBase QB8, then listened to the impact to digital. I was totally stunned by what I heard.

I warn my audiophile friends about Stillpoints that they must be careful because they can be the audiophile equivalent of crack cocaine. :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
This is a very good read with respect to optimizing a system with Stillpoints:

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/blog/taves_seminar_results.htm

I tried step 7 just before sending my amp off for repair. I pulled a set of cones from the power supply of my phono stage, and placed them under my Quantum QBase QB8, then listened to the impact to digital. I was totally stunned by what I heard.

I warn my audiophile friends about Stillpoints that they must be careful because they can be the audiophile equivalent of crack cocaine. :)

thanks!

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA

jfkbike

Jan 13, 2011
Florida
Thanks, wanted to order some today at work and needed that info. I have put these fuses in my DMA-360's and in my Ayre DAC and both of those made big improvements. I also have some Stillpoints coming to audition under speakers and other equipment.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
I upgraded fuses one at a time just so I could get a sense of how each component would respond. I started with my preamp, then my sources, and lastly my amp. The preamp was the biggest improvement by far. But, was that just because I started there first or because the preamp is particularly sensitive? I don't know, but I suspect it was the latter, as the second greatest improvement came from the amp, and that was the last component to receive upgraded fuses.

You are in for some big improvements, I think, with that preamp fuse and then again with the Stillpoints.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing