SS Power Amp to replace Valves - MSB S200 vs Accuphase P4200 ?

dgw

Sep 10, 2014
England UK.
Currently using Vintage Rebuilt and Upgraded T N Williamson Monoblocks circa mid 1950s using original parts, Partridge C Core Output transformer, etc. with Tungsol KT120s or Kron KT88s. 30 wpc class A. Triode Mode. The Tungsol KT120s are preferable as they forsake a tad of refinement for better grip and bite. Spectral DMC-30SS Preamp. Inefficient 83db Dynaudio Confidence 5s, which I definitely do not want to change, mean that 30wpc is wonderful for small group jazz and vocals but insufficient for large classical orchestral or choral works. Have seen used MSB S200, 8 years old and Accuphase P-4200, 4 years old, both around same price. Does anybody have experience with these amps and which would you recommend as the best choice or even perhaps something else ? Had a Spectral DMA 250 but too much trouble, eventually gave up.
Definitely prefer the treble and rhythm on present power amp to the Spectral DMA 250. Room is 6.7m x 3.7m x 2.5m H. Speakers firing along the long side.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Perhaps you may like a heavily class A biased amp like Accuphase A46/47 or Vitus 025? They have a lot more kick than the wpc rating suggests as well as being voiced more like tube amps.

dgw

Sep 10, 2014
England UK.
I have just seen a Lamm M1.1 up for sale and am thinking about that .... 100wpc but might be sufficient ???

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I haven't heard the M200, but my M202 is a wonderful amp. It is definately on the warm side of neutral, with a wonderful golden glow not dissimilar to some tube amps. It is not the fastest or most articulate amp around, but has great resolution and soundstaging.

I remember Martin Colloms reviewing the M200 in HiFi Critic and raving about it.

It is a Class A amp, so it gets really hot. @ 200WPC is much more powerful than Accuphase P4200, which works in class AB and runs rather cool.

Vitus SIA-025 does not have enough power to drive the Dynaudios. A friend of mine had twice as powerful Vitus SS101 driving equally inefficient Dynaudios Consequence, and sold it for that reason. He has D'Agostino Progression monos now (which are 800WPC or thereabouts).

Reactions: Vinylfan and RussR

dgw

Sep 10, 2014
England UK.
Thanks Elberoth - good info. Do you think the Lamm M1.1 @ 100wpc will be sufficient in my 60.6 cu metre room ?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I think so, although I prefer my MSB M202 to Lamm M1.2 Reference that I had a while back.

Both run VERY hot (and are huge, so we are talking about huge heatsinking area getting hot = lots of heat) which should be considered.

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I think so, although I prefer my MSB M202 to Lamm M1.2 Reference that I had a while back.

Both run VERY hot (and are huge, so we are talking about huge heatsinking area getting hot = lots of heat) which should be considered.
Hi Adam
Could you elaborate on the differences between the MSB M202 and the Lamm M1.2?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
With the caveat that I did not have the amps at the same time in my system, I found the Lamm to be somehow flat sounding and lacking in top end air compared to MSB. I have sold the Lamms after only 4 months or so - my MSB monos have been with me for over 5 years. Super underrated amps, that you can buy for a silly price nowadays.

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
With the caveat that I did not have the amps at the same time in my system, I found the Lamm to be somehow flat sounding and lacking in top end air compared to MSB. I have sold the Lamms after only 4 months or so - my MSB monos have been with me for over 5 years. Super underrated amps, that you can buy for a silly price nowadays.
Thank you Adam

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing