Stanley Turrentine must have recording

vrac

May 9, 2018
Just finished listening to 2CD set of Stanley Turrentine "Up At Minton's". Wonderful performance and great sonics even though it was recorded live in 1961!!!
Really captures the venue as well. Just close your eyes and your transported back! Stanley Turrentine on sax, Grant Green on guitar, Horace Parlan on piano,
George Tucker on bass and Al Harewood on drums. I love the esoteric gear talked about in this forum but for me its always about the music.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Agree excellent! Analogue Production has done a remaster. Is that the one you are listening to?

Stanley Turrentine - Up at Mintons APO.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
You might try Blue Hour Listening Sessions.
Stanley Turrentine - Blue Hour.jpg

vrac

May 9, 2018
LL21,
Actually it is not the SACD. CD version Blue Note Rudy Van Gelder but I will look out for the Analog Production SACD. Thanks.

vrac

May 9, 2018
If you like Christian McBride try his new recording "For Jimmy, Wes and Oliver". Really nice.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks...I will check that out. Currently, I have these 3:
Christian McBridge - Bringing It.jpg
Christian McBridge - Live at the Village Vanguard.jpg
Christian McBridge - The Good Feeling.jpg

Reactions: Symphony

Coimbra

Dec 26, 2019
Portugal
Just finished listening to 2CD set of Stanley Turrentine "Up At Minton's". Wonderful performance and great sonics even though it was recorded live in 1961!!!
Really captures the venue as well. Just close your eyes and your transported back! Stanley Turrentine on sax, Grant Green on guitar, Horace Parlan on piano,
George Tucker on bass and Al Harewood on drums. I love the esoteric gear talked about in this forum but for me its always about the music.

I was listen your recomontation at Tidal and ordered the LP from Amazon

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Agree excellent! Analogue Production has done a remaster. Is that the one you are listening to?

View attachment 69776
Forgive my ignorance but is this a hybrid or only sacd as i only have a CD player i think i couldn't play this ?
Definitely a hybrid and you can definitely play it. I am also only Redbook, and we play it. If you look at the photo again, you will see the Compact Disc logo.

Swann36

Oct 10, 2020
Definitely a hybrid and you can definitely play it. I am also only Redbook, and we play it. If you look at the photo again, you will see the Compact Disc logo.
Great news.. i'll look out for a copy and go ahead with gusto ....Redbook is my way forward

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great news.. i'll look out for a copy and go ahead with gusto ....Redbook is my way forward
And for us as well...enjoy!

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
Agreed with your impressions! I have the Analog Productions vinyl version and just love it. You feel immersed in the scene. It transports you to a time and place. Ahhhh the vibe.

Chop

Aug 9, 2020
England
View attachment 69775
+1 for Blue Hour. Mine is an late 70's reissue. At the time I was a callow youth and knew nothing about Jazz... I wandered into a second hand Jazz record shop (I think it was Doble's) in London and simply said
"I don't know what I want, but I like Kind of Blue and think its probably Bluesyish 50's Jazz. What do you reommend? "
The guy patiently walked me through half a dozen records and an hour later I walked out with 5 LP's - Blue Hour was an early one of his recommendations. This was when record shops knew their subject!
To me, it sounds like the sleeve looks...

Reactions: DeadWax

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
View attachment 69775

Agree, its very good. Joytime and Hustlin" are just as enjoyable imo.

Reactions: jazdoc and DeadWax

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing