State-of-the-Art Digital

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Ok. Although I haven't heard many products but I am sure they are very good if they are put on the high price. In the hiend audio world, the price is a decisive factor especially in their level. You hear them bad because of your ears or your systems.
Steve I wish you were right but I would just suggest that there is no guaranteed direct correlation between price and performance. This is not necessarily a bad thing. It means that we have to determine what is good for us not necessarily by either specification or price list.

Even pricing and return on investment aren’t linear equations hence the common reference to potentially diminishing returns as price increases as a trend generally. Sometimes (much like snakes and ladders) you might even get not even as good when you move up on the hi end ladder.

On the bright side there are potentially many many hi-end dealers who would love to have you as a client if you felt that price was a sole indicator and clear guide to performance.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I must say that in the areas where my expertise is limited I would not go for the bold statements. But that's just me. However, at the same time, are not all of our declarations based on our own experience, complemented with other people's opinions and research. We can formulate our opinions only on what we already know or emulate what other people think. How can one make a declaration if it is not based on one's experience?

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
Steve I wish you were right but I would just suggest that there is no guaranteed direct correlation between price and performance. This is not necessarily a bad thing. It means that we have to determine what is good for us not necessarily by either specification or price list.

Even pricing and return on investment aren’t linear equations hence the common reference to potentially diminishing returns as price increases as a trend generally. Sometimes (much like snakes and ladders) you might even get not even as good when you move up on the hi end ladder.

On the bright side there are potentially many many hi-end dealers who would love to have you as a client if you felt that price was a sole indicator and clear guide to performance.

I truly wish and believe that steve is not right.

To me, big part of this hobby is to get top performance without paying ridiculous prices.

And I actually believe that it is possible. Particularly if you're willing to use vintage and used
stuff and deal directly with the producers.

On the subject of dacs: get an abbas dac. Performance that is not only good value -- but certainly
also in absolute terms.

Jesper

Steve Vu

Oct 26, 2020

I understand your thought and many dealers in my country love to have me as their client. It is true. I am always spend much money to own products with a very high price because I believe that they are so good. I never go wrong on my way. I only need to define and research a products which I want carefullly. You get what you pay for, always like that.

Many people think they are smart but they always change their components. Finally, the money which they paid is always over my cost. Maybe there are many people here like that.

Steve Vu

Oct 26, 2020
I must say that in the areas where my expertise is limited I would not go for the bold statements. But that's just me. However, at the same time, are not all of our declarations based on our own experience, complemented with other people's opinions and research. We can formulate our opinions only on what we already know or emulate what other people think. How can one make a declaration if it is not based on one's experience?
I understand the engineers because I also meet many people like you. You never buy the true hiend system with the high price because you got the limit in your thought. So you never own the hi-end systems and never get the sound which they bring.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I understand your thought and many dealers in my country love to have me as their client. It is true. I am always spend much money to own products with a very high price because I believe that they are so good. I never go wrong on my way. I only need to define and research a products which I want carefullly. You get what you pay for, always like that.

Many people think they are smart but they always change their components. Finally, the money which they paid is always over my cost. Maybe there are many people here like that.

How is it possible to spend lots of money with many dealers in your country and not always change your components? Can you describe your system?

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

Yes we are many people here like that, we suffer from the same sickness ! ;) And it does not matter if you buy the latest most expensive component or can convince yourself that the vintage or budget equipment you own is the best, as long as you are happy !

Reactions: the sound of Tao

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
How is it possible to spend lots of money with many dealers in your country and not always change your components? Can you describe your system?
Yes describe it now, and just for fun, describe it 2 years ago !;)

Reactions: the sound of Tao

Steve Vu

Oct 26, 2020
There are many components in one system. So you must buy many things from many dealers. Right?

Don't think you smart than others. Lets think about your cost which you paid to have your systems until now.

I enjoyed my system over 3 years and I only change my components when I hear the better ones, absolutely not the same level. Do you understand the difference?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
There are many components in one system. So you must buy many things from many dealers. Right?

Don't think you smart than others. Lets think about your cost which you paid to have your systems until now.

I enjoyed my system over 3 years and I only change my components when I hear the better ones, absolutely not the same level. Do you understand the difference?

Some great systems don’t have many components: source, amplification, speakers, cables, rack. One can spend all sorts of money on accessories but I don’t consider those to be “components”.

What is your state of the art digital source?

Steve Vu

Oct 26, 2020
Some great systems don’t have many components: source, amplification, speakers, cables, rack. One can spend all sorts of money on accessories but I don’t consider those to be “components”.

What is your state of the art digital source?
There are many components in my systems: Waversa Systems Wrouter, Dcs Vivaldi (Dac, Clock, Upsampler), pre + monoblocks, speakers, cables, rack, power conditioner...

Many years ago, I also changed many things continuously. Finally, I recognized when I spend money on the hi-end components, I will get the sound which I need. Don't have to toss and turn everyday about matching system.

Reactions: PeterA

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Re: the PS Directstream, I've A/Bd it against several DACs. Will actually have the ability to do so against the AMR shortly btw.

While I don't think it's a bad value, I do find it quite laid back and perhaps a little slow in its presentation. Music never gets my pulse quickening as it does with, say, the EERA Majestuouso II DAC. And while I like the idea of a software updateable DAC, I never heard much difference (as opposed to PS aficianados) between one SW release and the next. That, I could not A/B, however.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Re: the PS Directstream, I've A/Bd it against several DACs. Will actually have the ability to do so against the AMR shortly btw.

While I don't think it's a bad value, I do find it quite laid back and perhaps a little slow in its presentation. Music never gets my pulse quickening [...]

Same experience here. Resolution of detail, especially separation of instruments, was also a bit lacking in the system where I heard it. It was bettered easily there by an MSB Premier DAC on all accounts. So much so that I could repeatedly identify in a blind test, with sequence of playing in random order, which DAC was which.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Same experience here. Resolution of detail, especially separation of instruments, was also a bit lacking in the system where I heard it. It was bettered easily there by an MSB Premier DAC on all accounts. So much so that I could repeatedly identify in a blind test, with sequence of playing in random order, which DAC was which.
Isn't the MSB Premier (with appropriate options/accessories) about twice the cost of the DS?

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Yes describe it now, and just for fun, describe it 2 years ago !;)
Deflection number 1 for seasoned (old) audio dude... Think I should flick on my short term memory loss switch on here... so yes I do have all exactly the same gear, just maaaaaybe added a few more speakers :oops: :rolleyes: Hmmm moving along :eek::oops:

Reactions: Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Deflection number 1 for seasoned (old) audio dude... Think I should flick on my short term memory loss switch on here... so yes I do have all exactly the same gear, just maaaaaybe added a few more speakers :oops: :rolleyes: Hmmm moving along :eek::oops:
Graham, as long as you never sell your old equipment you have not officially suffered a los financially ! Micro, Tang and i have mastered this strategy, it only requires sufficient storage space :rolleyes:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I believe 2020 has been something or a realignment Milan (he says possibly too hopefully) as I’ve run out of both rooms and excuses... am going for the mini purge (or is that the mini bar) for 2021... I’ll get back to you on how that works out :rolleyes: :D

Reactions: Lagonda

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
I'm concerned with the relevance of some of the critical statements here and elsewhere. I do believe a SOTA DAC is worth owning, that's not the point. Even so, if someone had asked me a year ago, I'd have said that loudspeakers and room acoustics are ten times as important. That's being coy: they're contribution to the overall sonic result may well be a hundred times as important (or more). Can't be overestimated is more to the point.

Although I've heard many DACs, I have heard most in different systems, different rooms, some only at trade shows. How is one supposed to form an opinion?

Earlier this year, I got to hear a dCS Vivaldi stack in a room that had an all-glass front on one side, concrete on the other, and when the owner said something to the extent that he couldn't hear an appreciable difference between his Vivaldi stack and a Chord Dave, I was quick-minded enough to reply: "I believe you." What I really meant to say was, I would not have been able to tell a difference in an acoustically untreated listening room like that either.

I'm the kind of guy who, if you ever invite me over to your place, the moment you go to the kitchen to get a snack and a bottle of wine, if you're wondering if you heard someone clap real hard a couple of times, I swear it wasn't me. Just kidding. Of course it was me.

Back when I still built loudspeakers, we got to use the anechoic chamber of the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich. Working in there left a lasting impression on me. No one in their right mind would want listen to music, let alone live in a acoustically "dead" room. But it made me realize there's a whole spectrum between a room that doesn't acoustically interact with a speaker and ones that do, and now, whenever I go visit fellow audiophiles, I can't help noticing that nine out of ten (at the least) have systems in rooms with no acoustic treatment whatsoever.

The same audiophiles who'll share grossly generalized opinions such as "[insert brand name] sounds too [insert adjective] for my taste" etc.

When it comes to forming an opinion of my own, there aren't many DACs that I could compare in the same known system(s), much less in a blind or double-blind test, but one of them was the aforementioned Chord DAVE, in a listening room that's basically a library, with book shelves lining either side wall, i.e. not acoustically treated, but noticeably better than the average living room. There, the Chord DAVE, in a true blind test, didn't stand a chance against a two decades old dCS combo of Purcell Upsampler and Delius DAC.

By the way, my point is not that dCS is the best, let alone the only "best" there is. As mentioned earlier in this thread, I happen to find the sound of dCS hard to describe, and I'm here to explain why I know what I don't know.

Imagine for a moment a DAC existed that's truly transparent to the source (not saying dCS is quite there yet, although it appears to be the type of product they're trying to build, in contrast to a type of product whose purpose is to please, to me an equally legitimate if clearly different concept). If such perfection in a source component existed, it follows that any criticism would be due to the interaction of loudspeaker and listening room (or, indeed, something else).

There's no doubt to my mind that this is the reason why I've a) heard such a wide range of systems built around the same dCS DACs, and b) disliked the sound of most of those systems. When the same DAC sounds bright and analytical in one system, warm and opulent in another, dull and lifeless in a third, and natural and life-like in a fourth, and so forth, how would you describe such a DAC's "sound"?

What I do know is that if one decides to go down that path, i.e. of neutrality (again, I don't mean to say dCS is the only brand trying to achieve transparency to the source, I might as well type e.g. "MSB" in all the same places), be prepared to be disappointed. An no, I don't mean by the DAC.

I realize full well it's rarely unwillingness on the side of the respective owners of expensive systems to take room acoustics into consideration. Reasons are more often trivial, such as that one may not want to deny themselves e.g. the view, given they invested their hard earned money in real estate, then, for some of us, there's the unavoidable WAF which precludes many audiophiles from building their dream system, let alone using ugly room treatment (although, some brands nowadays build somewhat more esthetic room treatment, still, what works is bound to be bulky, according to the laws of physics…).

What concerns me is that systems set up in listening rooms that lack acoustic treatment (with the exception of purposely built listening rooms) effectively consist of components mixed and matched to compensate for the weakness(es) of the room (and/or speaker). It's the interaction between speaker and listening environment that makes or breaks what we perceive as the "sound" of a system. The quality of gear is only relevant when it's given room (pun intended) to perform.

In this context, the difference between SOTA DACs, even though we audiophiles are adamant that a source component is what the rest of the system cannot possibly improve upon, overall isn't nearly as relevant for the net result as critics and audiophiles are trying to make believe.

It might be tempting to claim that a bright DAC will sound bright regardless of the context, or a lifeless one lifeless etc. In my experience, while there are some aspects of acoustics where there is predictability, this isn't one of them. What's really happening, in my experience, is that the comparatively minor flaws of modern source components are blown out of proportion by loudspeakers and their non-linear interaction with the listening room - in non-linear and thus unpredictable ways.

Having said that, when a (per se likable) nerd like Ethan Winer claims that affordable electronics set up in an acoustically treated room (of course he's in the business of selling room treatment, so one may want to take everything someone of his ilk says with a grain of salt, although I'm confident he sincerely believes what he says) will outperform an expensive audiophile system, he's forgetting to point out the obvious: that truly great electronics and speakers would profit exponentially from being set up a dedicated room.

This is what I've found most perturbing over the years: a deplorable lack of proportion. Too many audiophiles will willingly spend five, six, even seven digits on gear, yet invest next to nothing (if anything at all) in room treatment. Needless to say, some have great rooms - if you're blessed with one, more power to you! If you're not, please do us and yourself a favor, and think twice before you jump to conclusions, much less propagate them.

"Don't believe everything you think."

As for me, while I'm relegated to my current "music chamber", I'm having an acoustic ceiling (not to mention new floor and - Yikes! - windows) built into what I'm hoping is going to be my future listening room. Have to put my money where my mouth is. Sadly, no purposely built golden cuboid or trapagon. No carbon diaphragmatic absorption in the walls. Not going to be a SOTA room by any means. But: no use setting up a system in a room where one can hear even the slightest flutter echo in response to the oldest and simplest of all acoustic "measurements" - the clap test. May want to find the mike and FFT analyzer, and think about further room treatment at some later point. First things first.

Long, rambling rant, I realize. Back to the loony bin…

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

Mmeeks100

Dec 10, 2020
To second acousticsguru’s post about the impact of room acoustics and treatments, about a year ago I (with considerable help from my local dealer) treated my listening room with a combination of absorption and diffusion panels. The room had a fairly nasty ‘slap echo’ which made even the best components sound harsh in the upper midrange and lower treble. I had lived with it for a long time, and finally decided to do something about it. The effect was pretty dramatic. I hadn’t realized just how bad the room was until it was fixed. Although the total cost of the treatment was only about 5% of the total system cost, it probably produced the biggest positive contribution to the systems overall sound. The midrange in particular went from having a harsh sound at certain frequencies to being rich and detailed. I realize now that You can’t really make a judgement about how a piece of equipment really sounds unless you hear it in a decent room.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Graham, as long as you never sell your old equipment you have not officially suffered a los financially ! Micro, Tang and i have mastered this strategy, it only requires sufficient storage space :rolleyes:

Is "not officially" a loss the same as an unrealized loss?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing