State-of-the-Art Digital

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
As far as rock music goes, I honestly don’t think there is a decade that could touch the 70s. An unreal level of creativity and inventiveness.

the revolution was in the 60's. the world fundamentally changed and the music was a big part of it.

the 'post-func' was in the 70's.

i love the 70's. my kids were both born in the 70's. best time of my life.

Reactions: Rhapsody

wil

Jul 22, 2015
We are talking about two different things. I am talking about the effect that happened as Marty said in '67. This wasn't about the music and if it was good or not. This was about Joni Mitchell and CSN&Y, Led Zep, the Stones, the British Invasion, and Woodstock and how when the albums came out they were in total sync with what was going on say on May 4 at Kent State. Or the riots in Chicago by CSN. Every time something happened one of these groups would have a record out in a month or it seemed at the exact same time.

There were events going on in the late 60's and the music was hand in hand with those world events. Also this was the first time that this stuff was happening. In the 50's and early 60's it was just music. A LOT of great music but it was music.

When the late 60's came around and Vietnam was going on, the music was the anthem for the generation of teenagers, to rebel about what the f....was going on.

What I am talking about has nothing to do with comparing the music of one decade to the next. Sure there was great music from the 1800's until today. I love all of it. What I am referring to in the late 60's and early 70's is an entirely different experience.

You either were there and experienced it and embraced it and still remember it or you don't. I am just saying this was MY experience and nothing to do with the quality of actual music.

It was much more than that AND since the early 70's that has never occurred in the same manner. Again, this is all just my experience, nothing to do with anyone else, although those that know what I'm talking about understand it completely.

Right, that was a uniquely charged time. I thought we were just talking about the music (which in the late 60's/ early 70's was really woven into the culture).

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Right, that was a uniquely charged time. I thought we were just talking about the music (which in the late 60's/ early 70's was really woven into the culture).

Yes, music wise, I, like probably everyone else, can pick out albums from even the 50's through right now, from each decade that I consider on the same level.

I diverted from the music conversation and fell into this wonderful conversation and thoughts about the connection of the music in the late 60s'/early 70s and how it was so tied to the culture. It was an amazing experience for me and feel so fortunate to have had that experience.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
It all brings me back to driving my '67 Camaro down the main drag with Led Zep playing in the 8-track Craig console mounted under the dash.

vintage-craig-underdash-track-player_1_4c90f348330ea9a94caaa48ab5b8eef5.jpg

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
It all brings me back to driving my '67 Camaro down the main drag with Led Zep playing in the 8-track Craig console mounted under the dash.

View attachment 65511

my seminal moment was during spring break in 1971, driving with my college roommate with the top down in my 64' MGB through the Redwoods in Nor Cal, listening to 'Here Comes the Sun' on the 8 track....as the fog started to lift on the second morning of our trip.

that trip to Palm Springs and back had a few of those moments but that one takes the prize (of the moments i can post about:cool:).

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I was speaking to my good friend from school, another Last Of The Boomers born in 1964. We totally agree we missed out not being born a decade earlier.
However living in the grey poor industrially collapsing post war UK as a teen in the early 70s might have been a tad challenging.
You've only gotta spin the first Sabbath album to know what I mean...heavy metal was born of British grime and grey skies.
No, he'd only have done the early 70s on the sunny West Coast. Me? I'm quite drawn to grey Lol.

Reactions: Lagonda

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
my seminal moment was during spring break in 1971, driving with my college roommate with the top down in my 64' MGB through the Redwoods in Nor Cal, listening to 'Here Comes the Sun' on the 8 track....as the fog started to lift on the second morning of our trip.

that trip to Palm Springs and back had a few of those moments but that one takes the prize (of the moments i can post about:cool:).

Loved the MG's had two of them in the 70's, a convert. and then a orange hardtop. Then I got an Austin Healy 3000, it didn't have a first gear and I couldn't afford to get it fixed so I started slow in 2nd gear:)

Reactions: Elliot G.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Guys, Covid (and other things) may force me to sell my beloved '68 Citroen DS21. That girl is as close a link to the 60s as my Beatles, Who and Cream lps.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Hard to believe that "State of the Art Digital" led to the "blasts from the past"......sorry if I derailed.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Loved the MG's had two of them in the 70's, a convert. and then a orange hardtop. Then I got an Austin Healy 3000, it didn't have a first gear and I couldn't afford to get it fixed so I started slow in 2nd gear:)
i had a lot of British roadsters inc a MGB, Triumph TR 4 and a Healy before my first corvette. Hose were very fond memories driving them music blasting and joint in hand :)

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
i had a lot of British roadsters inc a MGB, Triumph TR 4 and a Healy before my first corvette. Hose were very fond memories driving them music blasting and joint in hand :)

They WERE great when they were working:)

Reactions: Elliot G.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

i owned -2- 64' MGB's, a 61' Austin Healey 100-6, and a 59' TR3-b during my college years, then later a 66' XKE Roadster.

all except the XKE had 'crash' 1st gears so i had to double clutch. got pretty good at it, and i could tune the SU carbs by ear. the MGB's were the only one's i had enough faith in to take a trip with. they would break, but i could fix what broke on the fly. they were very low tech. my second MGB i bought in Minnesota (full of rust and needing a clutch which i replaced) when i worked there for a summer and drove it back to Seattle when school started. had to stop every 200 miles and tap on the fuel pump (in the wheel well) to clear the contacts. seemed normal at the time.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
...your high-end audio system now sounds better than how you recall they sounded when you listened to them then on a CD Walkman?

A Walkman? Way too fancy. Hell, some of the best sound I ever heard was from a Buick car radio in '69 when "Hey Jude" was playing and I had a crush on a high school girl that wouldn't even look at me. Even better than it was on my dad's Fisher 500T with JBL 100's and a Dual TT/Stanton. The point is, everything is contextural when it comes to music and emotions in that era.

Last edited:
Reactions: ack and Rhapsody

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
What I am referring to in the late 60's and early 70's is an entirely different experience.

You either were there and experienced it and embraced it and still remember it or you don't. I am just saying this was MY experience and nothing to do with the quality of actual music.

+1 Exactly. And of course , that is why there is the corollary saying: "if you remember it, you weren't there!" ;) Those of us who were there will understand this completely.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
+1 Exactly. And of course , that is why there is the corollary saying: "if you remember it, you weren't there!" ;) Those of us who were there will understand this completely.
It’s very true. You had to be there

I remember going to my first Grateful Dead Concert which was held in a huge circus tent. Concert started around 9:00. Tent was closed and suddenly there was this strange odor permeating the concert venue. Then there was this cloud that formed in the tent and got so thick during the concert I thought it was going to rain :). By 200 AM the concert was just ending and I was amazed how long their songs were as I could only recall three of them before this final song ;)

As Marty said if you remembered it you weren’t there

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
the revolution was in the 60's. the world fundamentally changed and the music was a big part of it.

the 'post-func' was in the 70's.

i love the 70's. my kids were both born in the 70's. best time of my life.
Sure, it laid the groundwork for the 70s but I don’t feel the musical zenith had been reached.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Reactions: Al M.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Guys, Covid (and other things) may force me to sell my beloved '68 Citroen DS21. That girl is as close a link to the 60s as my Beatles, Who and Cream lps.

Watch Antonioni's "Blow Up" for another trip to the 60's zeitgeist. One of my favorite soundtracks-- mostly just the sound of wind blowing through trees.

Reactions: christoph

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm really enjoying this :) :) :)

Make that list Wil! :D

Reactions: christoph and Al M.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing