State-of-the-Art Recordings of Classical Works (SACDs)

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
1712209233382.png
WagnerTristan und Isolde, an Orchestral Passion, Overtures to ‘Das Liebesverbot’ and ‘Die Feen’ Royal Scottish National Orchestra Neeme Järvi Chandos 5087 SACD (A Relisten)

Wow, this disc has never sounded this good on my sound system until now! Listen especially to the Overtures to ‘Das Liebesverbot’ and ‘Die Feen’. Järvi and the RSNO gave it their all and the result is absolutely thrilling! The soundscape is huge, transparent, atmospheric and resonant. Orchestra timbre is spot-on. Dynamics, transient speed, micro-details and palpability are awesome.

Last edited:

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
1712302399280.png
PROKOFIEV Piano Concerto No. 2 in G minor, Op. 16 Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No. 1 in B flat minor, Op. 23 Haochen Zhang (piano)
Lahti Symphony Orchestra/Dima Slobodeniouk BIS 2381 SACD (A Relisten)

Gramophone: "Do we really need another Tchaikovsky First Concerto on disc? Well, the answer in this instance is an enthusiastic ‘yes’: listening to his way with this old warhorse left me in no doubt that here is an artist of rare talent." I fully agree here. This is the best performance/recording of the Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No. 1 in my collection! The dynamics and the clarity of the piano and orchestra are off the chart.

Michael S.

Mar 7, 2023
Germany
IMG_5233.jpeg

Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty, Nutcracker (highlights)

Saint Petersburg Academic Symphony Orchestra
Alexander Dmitriev

Very dark and romantic interpretations. This sounds significantly different in my ears than, for example, Fistoulari or Ansermet.

I like it a lot. Also a sonic force.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
1712378523769.png
Rachmaninoff Symphony No. 2 in E minor, Op. 27 Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra/Mariss Jansons RCO 16004 SACD (A Relisten)

This is one of the most realistic recording of a symphony orchestra. The bassline of the first few opening bars of the symphony is just too good (full, clear, pure and resonant) to not move you. It’s a more ‘being there’ experience. The performance is breathtaking! The Guardian summed up what I want to say about this recording: "Mariss Jansons shapes its sumptuous melodies with restraint and detail, making the climaxes more than usually explosive. There’s great clarity in the playing, especially in the long slow movement with its huge clarinet solo. Woodwind and strings sound luxurious and expansive, brass vigorous and savage. There’s no indulgence and plenty of excitement in this live recording from 2010."

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
1712467713718.png

Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No. 1 Shchedrin Piano Concerto No. 2 Stravinsky Capriccio Denis Matsuev, piano. Mariinsky Orchestra/Valery Gergiev Mariinsky 0587 SACD (A Relisten)

Wow, these performances/recordings are a knockout! The orchestra and piano have amazing palpability. Dynamics and transient speed are astonishing via my updated DAC.

Last edited:

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
1712563941824.png

Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No. 1 Prokofiev Piano Concerto No. 2 Kirill Gerstein, piano; James Gaffigan/Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin. Myrios Classics 016 SACD (Original Recording Format: 24Bit/192kHz) (A Relisten)

This is the world première recording of Tchaikovsky’s own 1879 version of the Piano Concerto No. 1. In the version that most of us know, the piano accompanies the strings with thunderous chords, but here those chords are transformed into delicate arpeggios. MusicWeb International rightly says: "This is a well shaped and powerful account from a pianist totally attuned to Tchaikovsky’s world in which dramatic power blends with grandeur. There is some unerringly sensitive and beautifully lyrical playing by Gerstein in the Andantino semplice and the Finale draws striking playing from the soloist together with a joyous poetic quality to be found only in the finest accounts. ... Clearly Kirill Gerstein is in his element with the exacting and tempestuous nature of the Prokofiev Piano Concerto No. 2. This is especially telling in the opening movement which draws the listener into the contrasting moods. The sense of resolute engagement is notable. In the vigorously whirling Scherzo and the unsettling Intermezzo Gerstein supplies lithe buoyancy whilst always maintaining total control." The balance between Gerstein's Steinway D and the orchestra is excellent.

Attachments

• 1712559495053.png
    1712559495053.png
    26.6 KB · Views: 1

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
For those interested in Franck's symphony i D-m, here is one from +60 years ago:
1712565447072.png Superb performance by Pierre Monteux with Chicago. The sound is also very good considering...

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
1712644304950.png

Rachmaninov Symphony No. 2 in E minor Op. 27, Dances from "Aleko", Scherzo Cincinnati Symphony/Paavo Järvi SACD-60670 (A Relisten)

In the past, I found Järvi's interpretation of the Rachmaninov Symphony No. 2 here to be so-so. But not today, my first listen after the DAC update. This is is a very impressive Rachmaninov 2nd. Järvi’s insightful phrasing and brisk tempos generate much involvement and excitement. The strings now sounded full and lush. I also heard much interesting inner detail that I have not heard before.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
1712737844515.png
George Friedrich Handel Water Music Music for the Royal Fireworks L'Arte dell'Arco/Federico Guglielmo CPO SACD 777 312-2

This is now a demonstration-quality sound disc via my updated DAC! The various instruments sounded three-dimensional, dynamic, palpable, and pitch-perfect.

Gramophone says: "The strings play with polish and alertness. Federico Guglielmo leads proceedings expertly from the violin; his few solo flourishes are direct yet courtly. The famous Hornpipe is splendidly done, with a radiant balance between the pairs of trumpets and horns (who relish some tasteful ornaments in the da capo), and lovely solo fiddleplaying during the middle section. Generally these performances are pleasantly contoured, though the continuo team occasionally become intrusive in faster music. However, it is good to hear musicians confident enough to play the Lentement more slowly than has become common. The Bourrée is thrillingly quick. The Country Dance sparkles with conviviality, although the recorder is a little uneven. The Ouverture from the Music for the Royal Fireworks is given a vibrant and engaging performance."

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
1712813745966.png

Edward Elgar Violin Concerto in B minor, Op 61 Alternative Cadenza for the Violin Concerto Interlude from The Crown of India, Op 66 Polonia, Op 76 Tasmin Little (violin) Royal Scottish National Orchestra/Sir Andrew Davis Chandos 5083 SACD (A Relisten)

A world class performance/recording of the above works that is tender, yearning and passionate. Little's violin sounded gorgeous, airy and sweet with plenty of space around it.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
1712905763563.png

Classics at the Pops Enrich Kunzel Cincinnati Pops Orchestra Telarc 60595 SACD (A Relisten)

A collection of light classical music to enjoy and a demonstration quality sound disc. The percussion, the brass, the strings and the woodwinds, now (via my updated DAC), sounded lifelike. Dynamics and transient speed are awesome. The soundstage is life-size.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
1713246150930.png

Sergei Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor, Op. 18 Piano Concerto No. 3 in D minor, Op. 30 Yevgeny Sudbin (piano)
BBC Symphony Orchestra/Sakari Oramo BIS 2338 SACD (A Relisten)

Sudbin and Oramo throughout followed the score as it is written. The opening solo of the Second Concerto is also played as marked. Sudbin and the BBC orchestra played superbly and the recordings sounded lifelike.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
1713334631693.png

Mahler: Symphony No. 2 "Resurrection" Ricarda Merbeth (soprano) Bernarda Fink (mezzo soprano) Netherlands Radio Choir
Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra/Mariss Jansons RCO 10102 SACD

Gramophone says: "[Jansons] give it urgency, propulsion and tautness of form ... Bernarda Fink is outstanding in the "Urlicht", where an aching first oboe sounds almost like a mystical overtone of her voice ... With Jansons the cataclysms have real clarity."

The strings have a golden sheen. The brass section has power and clarity. The woodwinds are enchanting. The orchestra sounded three-dimensional, palpable, and pitch-perfect and the basslines sounded clean, deep and resonant.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
1713417370953.png

ENNIO MORRICONE The Mission. Performed by the London Philharmonic Orchestra/Morricone, London Voices. Virgin Records SACD 72438 11267 2 1 (A Relisten)

Wow, this is a truly demonstrative quality disc! The recording is utterly transparent, detailed, palpable, powerful and dynamic. The tapestry of sound/emotions here is amazing. Timbre is spot-on. The soundscape is huge (wall to wall and floor to ceiling). The combination of the native instruments, the choirs and the expansive orchestral themes results in an unforgettable musical experience.

gilles13

Dec 17, 2015
south of France
Definitely not an sacd recording but a very natural recording of a steiway piano
It has got fine reviews in England and I love thinking I am sitting at the concert hall.
I love the interpretation too.

Attachments

• 1713556496409.png
    1713556496409.png
    440.2 KB · Views: 5

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
1713683928179.png
RCO 08007 SACD (A Relisten)

This recording of the 5th symphony is one of the most lifelike. The sounds is so gorgeous and transparent. The woodwinds, brass and strings shine. Even at maximum tutti the most delicate woodwinds come though with sparkling clarity. During the listening session, I can feel the sound waves crushing down on me when the intensity and volume is great enough. There's also a realistic sense of a large hall ambience.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
1713851407035.png

Sergei Rachmaninov The Bells Op. 35 Symphonic Dances Op. 45 Tatiana Pavlovskaya (soprano), Evgeny Akimov (tenor) & Vladimir Vaneev (baritone) WDR Sinfonieorchester Köln, WDR Rundfunkchor Köln & Lege Artis Chamber Choir, Semyon Bychkov Profil PH07028 SACD (A Relisten)

The live recordings are a bit dry. However, via my updated DAC, these recordings are still able to portray a large orchestra with chorus realistically. There is plenty of deep bass as well. Cymbals hiss, triangles glitter and even in the biggest climaxes the sound is fully detailed and effortless.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing