Steely Dan - Aja.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
A frequently recurring conversation, to understate it. Those guys are obsessed!

Tim

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
A frequently recurring conversation, to understate it. Those guys are obsessed!

Tim

They are...I'l grant you that. I only picked up on it as the OP claimed he preferred his AB pressing over the Cisco. I have a U.S., a Canadian and the Cisco pressing, so I might try and do the same comparison for fun. I've got nothing better to do so this amuses me. LOL!

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Knock yourself out John. The original pressing of Asia is damn good.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Those late 70s Dan recordings are some of the cleanest pre-digital multi-track recordings made. They are at times, pretty densely layered, with very little grungy build-up. A joy to listen to.

Tim

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
that album sold lots of stereos.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I have the Cisco and some originals, but some of those are in Texas so I can't give you a direct comparo between the AA and the AB. The Cisco has surface blemishes (a sort of white stain on the vinyl) that does not affect SQ.
I've always found that recording, whether the original or the Cisco, to sound a little 'antiseptic.' Not bright, or dry, or harsh exactly, but a little denuded or devoid of warmth.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I have the Cisco and some originals, but some of those are in Texas so I can't give you a direct comparo between the AA and the AB. The Cisco has surface blemishes (a sort of white stain on the vinyl) that does not affect SQ.
I've always found that recording, whether the original or the Cisco, to sound a little 'antiseptic.' Not bright, or dry, or harsh exactly, but a little denuded or devoid of warmth.

I had that issue on my last copy. (Cisco) Not audible on side a, but was for a bit on side b...a sand paper sound for a split second every revolution. I have bought another sealed version. I hope this one is better.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

I just carefully inspected my Cisco and I'm not seeing those surface blemishes (my s/n is 0979).

I agree with your assessment of the recording itself. I don't find it overly engaging despite it's excellent production. It's a bit matter of fact.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I just carefully inspected my Cisco and I'm not seeing those surface blemishes (my s/n is 0979).

I agree with your assessment of the recording itself. I don't find it overly engaging despite it's excellent production. It's a bit matter of fact.

John, the discoloration on the Cisco is not subtle. If it was there, you'd see it with the naked eye. There were anecdotal reports of this by others on the Net. So, if it is not visible to the naked eye, you are probably fine.
The remaster of Can't Buy a Thrill isn't bad either, i can't remember which house did it. There is tape slippage on one track you can hear that is not on the original versions of the album. I probably still have my original that I bought new back in the day, finding it is another matter. That record, to me, is wonderful musically, because of the diversity of the songs and sounds. The Elliott Randall guitar solo is killer. Aja to me is 'late' Dan- I played the hell out of the first several albums, including Countdown to Ectasy, which as I remember, was no sonic jewel. I haven't listened to any of the more current stuff by either guy. I think they were on tour this summer, either together or as some form of Steely Dan.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing