streamer or DAC ?

germinal

Nov 5, 2021
Can someone tell me what would give the best sound quality ?

Let's say budget is 10K

a basic streamer with a very good DAC ?
or a very good streamer with a basic DAC ?
or a third option.. a decent all in one device..

Also : what does sound best ?

Spotify with top notch DAC
or TIDAL with so and so DAC

Maybe this is a bit too general but I thought I might give it a shot ;)

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Can someone tell me what would give the best sound quality ?

Let's say budget is 10K

a basic streamer with a very good DAC ?
or a very good streamer with a basic DAC ?
or a third option.. a decent all in one device..

Also : what does sound best ?

Spotify with top notch DAC
or TIDAL with so and so DAC

Maybe this is a bit too general but I thought I might give it a shot ;)
Hmm you could go with something like a Meitner MA3 (DAC/Streamer). What are you using for a music management solution?

Reactions: Audire

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
It is possible too use your wifi as a streamer.
Tidal is fantastic

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
All things equal (rarely are they), I'd overweight the DAC quality over the streamer. I prefer to separate these components to allow for more flexibility down the road so all in one units don't interest me for the most part. And +1 on Qobuz.

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
I second DeadWax above re, favouring DAC over streamer and Qobuz over Tidal.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I second DeadWax above re, favouring DAC over streamer and Qobuz over Tidal.
I agree on the dac.
Gobuz over Tidal? Could you please elaborate?
Do you think the price is better?
Is it the size and variety of the catalog?
Is it the sampling rates and sound quality?
Personally I found Gobuz wanting on their on merit, let alone when compared to Tidal.
iMO of course.
Edit:I will take advantage thier free trial.

Last edited:

germinal

Nov 5, 2021
Hmm you could go with something like a Meitner MA3 (DAC/Streamer). What are you using for a music management solution?
At the moment an auralic Altair G1..

was thinking about a lampizator DAC (seems they do something special compared to the other DAC's and get good reviews as well) and maybe a Lumin mini as streamer.. or maybe just an older MacBook via USB ? Something wrong with that option ?

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
At the moment an auralic Altair G1..

was thinking about a lampizator DAC (seems they do something special compared to the other DAC's and get good reviews as well) and maybe a Lumin mini as streamer.. or maybe just an older MacBook via USB ? Something wrong with that option ?
A Lampi DAC is always a good idea :cool:

Reactions: DeadWax and Gregadd

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
Check out the HI FI ROSE 150, Network Streamer/Dac. It’s a huge “bang for the buck” at 5 K MSRP.
CHEERS......

Reactions: AZWink and germinal

GuutEnuff

Nov 20, 2021
Have you considered the Matrix Audio X-Sabre 3. Well regarded streamer and DAC with roon, spotify, and tidal options. Just got one myself and am very pleased with it. Only $3k though, so way less than your budget, but punches above its weight.

germinal

Nov 5, 2021
After testing several dacs ranging from
3k to 10k I have to say I can’t hear a difference between the DACs.. also streaming from a MacBook over usb and streaming from
Decent streamer.. can t hear any difference…

strange

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
3k to 10k I have to say I can’t hear a difference between the DACs.. also streaming from a MacBook over usb and streaming from

strange
My advice is if you can't' hear any difference get a 3K DAC with MacBook and save yourself some money. Use the money for something else in your system. There is nothing wrong with a 3K DAC if you are happy.

Reactions: germinal

TDX

Jan 14, 2020
Both change sound, could be significant. Dac last longer though so maybe buy a very good dac first.

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
I agree on the dac.

Is it the sampling rates and sound quality?
Personally I found Gobuz wanting on their on merit, let alone when compared to Tidal.
iMO of course.
Edit:I will take advantage thier free trial.
Yes, it is the sound quality. Otherwise, as you imply, the Qobuz catalogue is not as complete. I listen to classical and Qobuz has a reasonable selection of hi-res offerings, including recent recordings.

Reactions: christoph

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
My advice is if you can't' hear any difference get a 3K DAC with MacBook and save yourself some money. Use the money for something else in your system. There is nothing wrong with a 3K DAC if you are happy.
I second that suggestion, 3k dacs can be very satisfying.
Case in point: I downgraded* from a MSB Select to a 2.5k Ayazi and I am still alive ;) and enjoying the music, no psychological stress whatsoever.
Fron end is a tweaked MiniX fanless unit -- not even a server (couldn't afford one :))!

*Financial setback

Reactions: germinal and MRJAZZ

Armsan

Jan 28, 2016
Portugal

strange
OK, that’s fine but, if latter you’ll want to address that problem it will be a fun challenge. There must be a bottleneck somewhere, obscuring the transparency and the resolution of your system. The room?! The quality of the power and/or the power cables?!
In that price range, the DAC differences are significant.

Reactions: dsnyder0cnn

germinal

Nov 5, 2021
Thanks for the suggestion... I have this one running at the moment... it seems you can't change anything (settings) on this streamer/DAC.. is that right ?

justubes

Aug 10, 2015
Please do not forget or neglect everything that comes before the streamer. A whole ecosystem before.

Start with a dac you like and start with a reference the sound with cd be it Tidal or Quobuz. Find also which service you find more material you like as opposed to the sonics.

That should be you base point which wood then steer you and dictates the choice of streamer chosen and not to forget, budgetting over time for the network "infrastructure" which is the real source material which you have control over.

The networking complexity requires effort and importantly time to finally find and setup the best of what you have and make to best of it.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Thanks for the suggestion... I have this one running at the moment... it seems you can't change anything (settings) on this streamer/DAC.. is that right ?
Sorry when I had my Meitner I was using it with Roon and controlled everything from Roon. I know you can use mConnect with the Meitner. Maybe you can change setting via this app.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing