Studer A 810 fuses location

Guglielmo

Aug 19, 2010
Hi,

I own a Studer A 810 and I am happy about its music playback sound.
Alway looking for "the best" I was thinking to change the ordinary fuses with audiograde ones but I have been confused about their location. On the top, close to serial number plate, there is this label:

A810 fuses1.png

Then I removed the rear panel and I noticed these fuses with this label:

A810 fuses2.jpg

Now I am confused because I realize that there are several fuses around of different sizes...

Please let me know the actual fuse implementation in the 810, their values and where are located.

Thank you very much for your help! I appreciate.

Guglielmo

P.S. the fuses in the back are without protection (dangerous?). As far as I know there was a plastic cover that I missed in my 810. Is it available somewhere? Thanks!

Tapetech

Apr 10, 2014
Fairfax, VA
All the information you need is right in front of you . See the top photo? That sign is for the main power line fuse.The sign says to use a 3.15A fuse if your power is 120VAC and use a 1.6A fuse if your power is 220VAC. You didn't say what power you have so we can't tell you which fuse to use. The fuse itself is located next to the sign (one inch to the right).

As for the bottom photo, it is fully self-explanatory. Those are secondary fuses and you can SEE the values and locations of those fuses, so what further info do you need?

Pinu

Nov 30, 2019
Thanks … is that the only fuse in the machine ? Are there more … also what improvements are seen on changing the fuse … thx

Tapetech

Apr 10, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Not sure why you are referring to only one fuse. I said there was one fuse for the power line and two secondary fuses for the voltage regulators, so three. And I indicated where they were and how to determine the values. (you look at the label next to the fuse to determine value)

I have not personally tried those special fuses but my guess is that they would not improve the sound quality. A new external playback preamp would improve sound quality. This for example: https://www.audionirvana.org/forum/...o-reel/tapestages-repros/150302-new-tapestage

Last edited:

yjwu

Jun 28, 2011
Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
What is the point of "improvement of sound by replacing fuss"? STUDER's construction had many more contact points to worry; it would certainly be a nightmare if you do start worrying fuss as the first step of sound improvement.
Eliminating power plug connector all together and solder a heavy gauge cable directly to your home power distribution box would be my two cent's suggestion.

Plug-in cards were bad idea, all wires should be directly soldered point to point. In this aspect Japanese consumer machines do the best.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing