STUDER A80 Bearings and where to buy them - HELP!

Tannoyista

Jul 19, 2018
Great Britain
www.tannoyista.com
Hi all.

Can anyone recommend where to buy bearings for the transport of an A80?

I've seen Athan and PMW but the costs in shipping to the UK and minimum quantities are simply prohibitive. Athan charges $375 shipping!!??

Can anyone PLEASE give me a source of precise ABEC-5 or 7 bearings with the correct lubricant?

I've asked on so many forums but the only ones I've been recommended are the SKF ones which many say are noisy. Athan and PMW are not very enthusiastic in helping either.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Reactions: sigitask

Tannoyista

Jul 19, 2018
Great Britain
www.tannoyista.com
anyone?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Just get a friend in the US to purchase them and send them to you.....

jdza

May 3, 2010

Yes they’re the ones I use . Quiet and not gritty,plus a free baggie of gummi sweeties. 6 A 80s, 4 B 67 mk 2s, a an A 67,A 810 and every model Revox and no complaints. i have tried all sorts of high quality bearings and for a while I thought NTN ceramics were the greatest but not.

I post this with some trepidation as lately there has been all sorts of self styled Studer experts popping up ,denigrating us poor sods who,20 years ago when no one would touch these things,sat at the feet of the old Studer trained techs, trying to fish for info they sought to forget

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Last edited:

audioguy1958

Feb 8, 2015
I would not purchase bearings from Athan. The A810 replacement pinch roller I bought from them was junk, as well as one I bought from another supplier. I also need A80 reel motor bearings but I'm not sure what to expect anymore.

Tannoyista

Jul 19, 2018
Great Britain
www.tannoyista.com
Hmm... I must admit I've heard of another similar gripe about Athan.

They are really slow at getting back and not very helpful over email TBH.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I would not purchase bearings from Athan. The A810 replacement pinch roller I bought from them was junk, as well as one I bought from another supplier. I also need A80 reel motor bearings but I'm not sure what to expect anymore.

Have never had a problem with Athan.... been dealing with them 10yr.

Tannoyista

Jul 19, 2018
Great Britain
www.tannoyista.com
Fair enough... I'm still waiting for an answer from them though.

I'll keep searching anyway.

audioguy1958

Feb 8, 2015
Okay, I ordered both types they had for sale as I'm not sure which diameter my machine requires.

jdza

May 3, 2010
Okay, I ordered both types they had for sale as I'm not sure which diameter my machine requires.

You need 8 of the small bearings and a lot of the large ones (I'm guessing 16?). Please be very carefull with disassembly as flying circlips can be hell to find. A new supply of circlips is a very good idea. Carefully note the amount of thin spacer blades and washers in various locations and put them back exactly as found.This may seem odd in such a precision built device but it is this sort of fastidious alignment that makes an A80,well an A80. If the machine is at around 4000 hours most noise is going to come from the spooling motor bearings.Do not trust the mechanical hours counter on any Studer . After so many years the little teeth break and the numbers can be nonsense. Take great care in disassembling and reassembling those motors. Take great care in not damaging the brake bands and never disassemble the capstan motor!

Not an expert ,just learned the hard way.IOW let someone else do the job, if you can find someone .Most of the Studer trained techs I could find who did this servicing on a day to day basis in the heyday are now between late 70s and 90s and most preferred to forget that part of their lives.

In this country enormous amounts of A80s were used in all forms of radio studios, mainly news and program production , ridden hard 24 /365 for almost 30 years but were maintained with the manpower and budgets that only a state owned broadcaster can muster.

sigitask

Jan 5, 2020
Hi all.

Can anyone recommend where to buy bearings for the transport of an A80?

I've seen Athan and PMW but the costs in shipping to the UK and minimum quantities are simply prohibitive. Athan charges $375 shipping!!??

Can anyone PLEASE give me a source of precise ABEC-5 or 7 bearings with the correct lubricant?

I've asked on so many forums but the only ones I've been recommended are the SKF ones which many say are noisy. Athan and PMW are not very enthusiastic in helping either.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

I tried to use NACHI ABEC-5 bearings to my Telefunken M15, Nagra 4S, Ampex 350. And Abec-5 was more noisy then standard SKF bearings !
IMG_3281.jpg

sigitask

Jan 5, 2020
I have bad experience with Athan. I bought pinch roller for my Ampex 350 from Athan, and bearings was extremely noisy. There is video:

sigitask

Jan 5, 2020
I put SKF bearings to my Ampex 350 tape stabilization roller, working quite silent. IMG_3776.jpg

audioguy1958

Feb 8, 2015
I have two new A810 pinch rollers of the 'roller bearing' type, and they are both garbage. Both are noisy as hell, one from Athan and one from another supplier.

Reactions: sigitask

sigitask

Jan 5, 2020
Lets look what this guy is selling. On picture possible to see that is the same SKF bearings :) Price for 1 bearing in Europe is 3-4 EUR. _DSC5358pp-copy_edited__24468.1575551055.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing