STUDER A80 Bearings and where to buy them - HELP!

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
If you have a normal standard clearance SKF bearing that makes noise its either a broken one or a fake ali express copy .
New skf bearings in the sizes and uses you are talking about dont make noise .

Ok folks, since you are talking about bearings for the A 80 and I just acquired one these days, which of the 30+ bearings are really imperative to change? The most necessary? Thank you!

sigitask

Jan 5, 2020
If you have a normal standard clearance SKF bearing that makes noise its either a broken one or a fake ali express copy .
New skf bearings in the sizes and uses you are talking about dont make noise .
There is video about that. Maybe is fake, but it from famous US company:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Ok folks, since you are talking about bearings for the A 80 and I just acquired one these days, which of the 30+ bearings are really imperative to change? The most necessary? Thank you!

Congratulations on your acquisition. There is no easy answer to your question. The A80 is a complex precision machine, and unless you are able to diagnose it you have to change at less all the bearings that can move while playing - this means most of them! Be very careful - it extremely easy to damage the machine removing and inserting the bearings if we do not have the proper tools.

When I got my first A80 and started reading about them I got excellent starting advice from experts in the Tapeproject foum - see https://forum.tapeproject.com/index.php?topic=1615.0 and many other posts in that forum. You can also google "scrape flutter" and look for articles on it - IMHO it is what separates the great machines from others. Fred Thal contributions in this forums were also great - for example see https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/what-is-scrape-flutter.23810/

Last edited:
Congratulations on your acquisition. There is no easy answer to your question. The A80 is a complex precision machine, and unless you are able to diagnose it you have to change at less all the bearings that can move while playing - this means most of them! Be very careful - it extremely easy to damage the machine removing and inserting the bearings if we do not have the proper tools.

When I got my first A80 and started reading about them I got excellent starting advice from experts in the Tapeproject foum - see https://forum.tapeproject.com/index.php?topic=1615.0 and many other posts in that forum. You can also google "scrape flutter" and look for articles on it - IMHO it is what separates the great machines from others. Fred Thal contributions in this forums were also great - for example see https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/what-is-scrape-flutter.23810/

Thank you! As a matter of fact: this is my second one. I sold the original to a recording studio in New York because it was 1/2" tape and I didn't use it for Mastering anymore. This one is 1/4" tape and very nice. The other one was in pristine condition and we didn't have the need to change even a resistor in 5 years. That's why I don't have specific repairs experience with this A 80 model. I really appreciate your information. Right now I'm exchanging emails with Ki Choi. Best regards!

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Mine was in pretty good shape but I wanted to have it back to its original specs or even better. This is just a portion of all the parts that got replaced. All carbon resistors have been changed by metal film resistors as with age their values have drifted. Most parts were sourced from Audio House including the bearings.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
There is video about that. Maybe is fake, but it from famous US company:
This is not a SKF bearing , i dont know the point you are trying to make .
Are you going for the best or the cheapest bearing .
Just put in a SKF bearing with the same spec as the original studer and be done with it .
Bearing manufacturing / precision and QC has come a long way since the studer era

Mine was in pretty good shape but I wanted to have it back to its original specs or even better. This is just a portion of all the parts that got replaced. All carbon resistors have been changed by metal film resistors as with age their values have drifted. Most parts were sourced from Audio House including the bearings.

Audio House? It must has cost a fortune! Yes, I'll have the cards restored and the PS caps changed. At least all caps gone and replaced with new ones. I'm even considering the Sepea option and that way I can switch eq and speed with just a flip of a button and jumpers. I don't use 30ips anymore, so I might change it to 7.5/15 ips. I'm already studying all possibilities. Thank you!

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Audio House? It must has cost a fortune! Yes, I'll have the cards restored and the PS caps changed. At least all caps gone and replaced with new ones. I'm even considering the Sepea option and that way I can switch eq and speed with just a flip of a button and jumpers. I don't use 30ips anymore, so I might change it to 7.5/15 ips. I'm already studying all possibilities. Thank you!

A fortune indeed. I also asked my tech to bring some specific mods with custom made cards And a much better circuit for the VU meter bridge. My tech has spent 500 hours over the last 4 years. Sometimes, I believe that I should have bought a machine from Fred Thal.

Last edited:

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
Spent a lot of time looking for bearing replacements for the Stellavox SP's - which look very similar to the units pictured. There are a dozen or so in the unit and there will always be one or more noisy in a one in for servicing. An engineer friend recommended BOCA Bearings in Florida. Got a few different kinds from them. Built up a little test rig where I can check out the runout and LISTEN for noise - with the assembly held right up to my ear. End up rejecting about 50% of the "standard bearings" that come in a 4-pack. The much pricier ceramic bearings turned out to be all too noisy.

Charles

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing