Studer A80 capstan capacitor question

Tannoyista

Jul 19, 2018
Great Britain
www.tannoyista.com
Hi all.

Just been checking my A80R 1/4" machine and found that the capstan motor capacitor in the back of the machine is 8uf.

(I'm looking to replace the old BOSCH caps if possible.)

My machine is a high speed machine 15/30 and according to nagravox it should be 10uf.

The capstan has always taken a while to reach full 30ips speed and wondered if the capacitor could be the reason?

Maybe someone has changed it in the past?

Would anyone be able to clarify this discrepancy in value and would it be preferable to replace the 8uf with 10uf if needs be?

Thanks

15IPS

Sep 14, 2018
Hi all.

Just been checking my A80R 1/4" machine and found that the capstan motor capacitor in the back of the machine is 8uf.

(I'm looking to replace the old BOSCH caps if possible.)

My machine is a high speed machine 15/30 and according to nagravox it should be 10uf.

The capstan has always taken a while to reach full 30ips speed and wondered if the capacitor could be the reason?

Maybe someone has changed it in the past?

Would anyone be able to clarify this discrepancy in value and would it be preferable to replace the 8uf with 10uf if needs be?

Thanks
Don't change the motor caps. They may be Frako, but they are a very high quality polypropylene type. The dissipation factor of those caps is lower than anything you can sub in there today at reasonable cost. They do not dry out or leak.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Although not related to capstan, I will use this tread for a question concerning Studer caps - the critical paper metalized RIFA transparent golden suppression capacitors used on drive control, switching and mains suppression that usually crack or explode in control cards, due to moisture entering in the capacitor. People often replace this capacitors with modern X2 film type - much safer than originals.

However I recently saw a Kemet note advertising for a new line of Series Metallized Impregnated Paper capacitors, claiming outstanding suppression capabilities. So the question arises - why was this technology chosen for the suppression capacitors by Studer, and are we compromising the machine performance with our modern replacements?

15IPS

Sep 14, 2018
Although not related to capstan, I will use this tread for a question concerning Studer caps - the critical paper metalized RIFA transparent golden suppression capacitors used on drive control, switching and mains suppression that usually crack or explode in control cards, due to moisture entering in the capacitor. People often replace this capacitors with modern X2 film type - much safer than originals.

However I recently saw a Kemet note advertising for a new line of Series Metallized Impregnated Paper capacitors, claiming outstanding suppression capabilities. So the question arises - why was this technology chosen for the suppression capacitors by Studer, and are we compromising the machine performance with our modern replacements?
The Rifa suppression caps were chosen for the same reason they were chosen for the A77, and also the reason Studer used Frako and Philips. They met spec, were locally manufactured, and less expensive than alternatives.

waltzingbear

Apr 8, 2019
Portland, Oregon
please replace them, they can damage other parts of the machine when they go. I am seeing them go in A810's now. If they go in a B67 it can be quite costly. Wipes out some unobtanuium parts.

Readily avaiable from Mouser or digikey. Just do it.

Cheers
Alan

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing