Studer a80 capstan motor service

baxa

Sep 26, 2011
Croatia Zagreb
Does enyone have explode view parts of Studer a80 capstan motor with two rollball bearing. Some parts (distances) missing in my motor an it does not work properly and I dont now what missing. Thanks

Last edited:

Tapetech

Apr 10, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
AFAIK Studer did not release technical support for the capstan motors - they assumed that they should only be re-built at the factory. IMHO the best help you will get is from the diagrams of the two versions of the revox B77 motor - perhaps one of them has a similar to your A80 capstan motor - see https://nagravox.com

a1.jpg

Reactions: Tapetech

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Even my tech who has more than 40 years of experience with Studer won’t do that himself. Though he has a comprehensive experience with the A80s, he gets the capstan motors refurbished by Audio House in Switzerland.

Reactions: Tapetech

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Even my tech who has more than 40 years of experience with Studer won’t do that himself. Though he has a comprehensive experience with the A80s, he gets the capstan motors refurbished by Audio House in Switzerland.

Surely, I accept and understand that a professional technician does not want to carry such job. However, the same way most people do not use Audio House bearings in their A80's or the DIY audio community modify turntable bearings and tonearms, a reel to reel hobbyist may want to carry this task, particularly as the motor capstan Audio House refurbishment will cost around 1000 euros. We should remember that sometimes people do it mostly for the fun, not for the specifications or listening to master tapes.

baxa

Sep 26, 2011
Croatia Zagreb
I agree that the bronze sleeve version is difficult to repair on its own, but this one where you just need to change the ball bearing is not.The problem is that someone has done this before but missed the distance and washers and misassembled it. I thought someone might have a picture of that performance where I can see what missing. This one for Revox 77 is completely different.

Tapetech

Apr 10, 2014
Fairfax, VA
I agree that the bronze sleeve version is difficult to repair on its own, but this one where you just need to change the ball bearing is not.The problem is that someone has done this before but missed the distance and washers and misassembled it. I thought someone might have a picture of that performance where I can see what missing. This one for Revox 77 is completely different.
Even if you did have a detailed picture of the motor internals that showed where every washer/shim went, it wouldn't help you. You would need to know exactly the dimensions of each washer/shim. Often those are not off the shelf parts, but custom sizes. A company that specializes in rebuilding Studer motors would have those exact parts. You don't have them.

Tapetech

Apr 10, 2014
Fairfax, VA
We should remember that sometimes people do it mostly for the fun, not for the specifications or listening to master tapes.

That philosophy applies to the $10 old Sony RTR you find at a yard sale.

However, it does not make sense to me to buy a non-working SOTA tape deck and just "sort of get it working" by fixing it yourself. What's the point of that unless you just want bragging rights?

Remember that I have seen hundreds of tapes decks that have been "worked on" by owners. It's not a pretty picture. Often, the unit ends up having more problems than when they started. The Baxa post is a perfect example: someone thought they had a bad capstan motor, so they took it apart, couldn't find or fix the problem and they put it back together with a bunch of critical parts missing.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Even if you did have a detailed picture of the motor internals that showed where every washer/shim went, it wouldn't help you. You would need to know exactly the dimensions of each washer/shim. Often those are not off the shelf parts, but custom sizes. A company that specializes in rebuilding Studer motors would have those exact parts. You don't have them.

I would say that very often they are standard parts, considering the tradition of german industry. But yes, knowing the exact dimensions and place would be great.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
That philosophy applies to the $10 old Sony RTR you find at a yard sale.

However, it does not make sense to me to buy a non-working SOTA tape deck and just "sort of get it working" by fixing it yourself. What's the point of that unless you just want bragging rights?

Remember that I have seen hundreds of tapes decks that have been "worked on" by owners. It's not a pretty picture. Often, the unit ends up having more problems than when they started. The Baxa post is a perfect example: someone thought they had a bad capstan motor, so they took it apart, couldn't find or fix the problem and they put it back together with a bunch of critical parts missing.

My view is the contrary, spending time and resources in a $10 old Sony is a poor deal, refurbishing an old Studer A80 can be a challenging and entertaining hobby. I agree with your view of the average situation and will avoid focusing on specific cases of our members, but will object that the Studer A80 is a perfect machine for someone wanting to learn. A decade ago I was not aware of the existence of the Studer A80, today I can identify what is the guilty rolling part of my Studer just looking at the wow and flutter spectra with adequate resolution.

For reasons that many tape hobbyist already know - available complete service manuals, standard wearing parts and non critical availability of any electronic spare, plenty of support in archived and current forums, I think that the A80 is a good approach to reel to reel DIY enthusiasts, particularly if we manage to get one for a decent price :cool: - when I got my machines prices were around euro 600 for a complete, no missing parts, but not serviced machine.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Tapetech

Apr 10, 2014
Fairfax, VA
I just finished repairing a Studer A820 that the owner tried to repair himself. His effort were a complete disaster (he actually created more defects). And HE bought the A820 from from someone who tried and failed to fix the deck as well. So I was stuck fixing the original defects plus cleaning up the mess two owners created.

The A820 is not and should not be something to "learn how to fix and align tape decks". That is what a "garage sale" tape deck is for. When you end up destroying a $10 tape deck it no big deal. Destroying an A820 is a big deal and very expensive to remedy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bruce B

baxa

Sep 26, 2011
Croatia Zagreb
Tapetech You're obviously an expert on Studers, and you know for sure what a double ball bearing capstan motor for A80 looks like. Can you send me an explode view or at least a photo of what it looks like please?

Tapetech

Apr 10, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Tapetech You're obviously an expert on Studers, and you know for sure what a double ball bearing capstan motor for A80 looks like. Can you send me an exploded view or at least a photo of what it looks like please?
Sorry, I don't have a photo or diagram of the A80 motor interior.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I just finished repairing a Studer A820 that the owner tried to repair himself. His effort were a complete disaster (he actually created more defects). And HE bought the A820 from from someone who tried and failed to fix the deck as well. So I was stuck fixing the original defects plus cleaning up the mess two owners created.

The A820 is not and should not be something to "learn how to fix and align tape decks". That is what a "garage sale" tape deck is for. When you end up destroying a $10 tape deck it no big deal. Destroying an A820 is a big deal and very expensive to remedy.

I fully agree with you concerning the A820 - amateurs should stay away from such machine. It is much more complex than a A80 and should be reserved to knowleadgeable professionals.

The A80 is a very different machine in all aspects. My comment only addressed this machine.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing