Studer A80 preview machine need rollers

Ingenia

Jul 15, 2018
I have recovered this machine from an old studio for vinyl cutting.
It can be seen that some rollers are missing for the ribbon travel
I can not find a data sheet for this block of heads. Does someone have it available?
what diameter are these rollers? same diameter of tension rollers?
IMG_20181010_122701.jpg

yjwu

Jun 28, 2011
Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
I do not have A80. I just make up the story by looking up the threading chart.

It looks like you can still do 7.5" - 45, 7.5" - 33.3; 15" - 45. You need one more roller to do 15" - 33.3; additional two more rollers to do 30" - 45 and 30" - 33.3. 15" -45 should be the default configuration previous owner used.

Since your machine can do 15/30, it would be possible to move one roller at the top of the triangle to upper top position. This way you can do both 15" - 33.3 and 15" - 45; and of course 7.5" - 45, which is not supported by your machine. Nothing else.

Overall you need two more rollers to unleash the full potential of this A80. All rollers of this preview-delay should be of the same size.

Actually you only need one more roller to do the following:

7.5" - 45 (not available on your machine)
15" - 45, 15" - 33.3
30" - 45

Congratulations!

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
You were lucky - I remember reading that with some very simple optimization of the tape path (I think it involves removing some parts) these vinyl cutting machines can be converted in a top reproducer. All you need is a very knowledgeable person to guide you.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing