Studer A807 recording only on 1 channel

carlosraj

Oct 22, 2017
Hi

Earlier I had a problem of unable to record at 15ips with this recorder. I rectified the problem with the guidance from the forum. The problem was the bias setting was at zero for 15ips. After that it was recording OK all this while until recently. Now when I record, both channel start recording OK, but after a few minutes, the left channel stops recording totally. While recording, I usually switch to "repro" to monitor the present recording. Both channels are reproducing the current recording at the beginning but after a few minutes the left channel is suddenly playing back the previous recording( i.e it is not erasing the previous material and also not recording the present material). The right channel is doing fine. Can someone familiar with this problem give me some guidance.

Thanks

Carlos

15IPS

Sep 14, 2018
Swap the left/right record cards to see if the record problem switches channels.
The 807 doesn't have left/right record cards. Plus, that would not solve the erase issue.

Sounds like the issue here is in the logic. Put a heat imager on the logic board and look for hotspots. You may have some bad IC's or a drooping supply line that is causing the logic to drop after the unit heats up. I bet if you put the unit in the deep freezer for 10 mins (wrapped in plastic) and then try recording, it will record for more than a few mins.

Tapetech

Apr 10, 2014
Fairfax, VA
The 807 doesn't have left/right record cards. .

The A807 has two identical plug-in boards (left and right) called "audio electronics". Boards GRP41 and GRP42.

Each board has a record amp, bias oscillator and erase head oscillator.

I think it would help diagnostics to swap those two boards and see if the record/erase problem switches to the right channel or stays in the left (where it is now).

The problem could be external to the "audio electronics" board/card OR it could be something defective on the left plug-in board. Switching L/R cards will help answer that question.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing