Studer a807Mk2 Went Down. Software display - Blinking Lights - Then Nothing

Claus H

Feb 4, 2022
Hi All, new here, I know I'm not the only one bringing this up; I have looked at other threads, but I need advice.

My 807Mk2 just had a seizure:
The meters went nuts, peaking a couple of time, with a hum in the monitor speaker, and then the deck just sat there.
When I tried turning it on again, I got the software year/version display, accompanied by flashing lights from the function lamps, and then nothing. Basically it doesn't boot past that.

I am not an engineer, but I am well aware of the reputation of the caps in the machine, and that the unit runs on an EPROM that is battery-powered and has a certain lifespan.
Thus, I already have gotten a replacement EPROM with the latest ('92) software. It awaits installation.

The deck was bought from Canada in 2005, having been gone over (according to the seller) by a Mr. Sam Lum who was mentioned as having been in the Studer North America service program when the decks were still being sold. I have had no issues with it up until now. I do not know what kind of caps are in the machine currently.

So, in plain English please:
Power Supply?
Caps dying? (if so, do a complete once-over?)
Maybe just the EPROM dying?

Also, very importantly:
I live in Washington DC.
WHAT ARE NEARBY (DC/MD/VA) QUALIFIED PRO REPAIR SHOPS/TECHS FOR THIS DECK, IF ANY?
I am willing to drive with the deck as I have no desire to attempt to pack it and ship it, unless that truly is the only option.

Sorry my first post has to be such a depressing one, but after having read up on other people's messages, I see there is a lot of knowledge about this deck here.

Any and all help gratefully received.

Thanks,
Claus.

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
Claus, post this question on Tapeheads. net, there is a technician there who works on them, his moniker is jsantoro, he is in Charlotte.

There may also be someone closer.

Reactions: Claus H

Claus H

Feb 4, 2022
Claus, post this question on Tapeheads. net, there is a technician there who works on them, his moniker is jsantoro, he is in Charlotte.

There may also be someone closer.
Thank you for the input! I will check with him on Tapeheads.
If anyone else here has a good idea, please chime in.

Claus.

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
Happy to help... looks like you are getting some good advice there. Best of luck, it is a nice machine!

Reactions: Claus H

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing